Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: Edward Snowden and his stay in Russia

Quote Originally Posted by 14Russian View Post
    Whatever, Miss Bolshevik.

Edit: Okay, I edited my post for ya. ...
    Wrong, it was not for me. You have no clue what I need for myself.
    But thanks anyway!
    Hanna and Deborski like this.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Paul G.
    It must be "miss Bolshevichka" then.
    Большевик = Bolshevik (masc.)
    Большевичка = Bolshevichka (fem.)

Everyone in Russia knows about SORM. That's an open secret.
    But SORM just collects information and stores it encrypted. If FSB finds out that a certain person is a terrorist or hacker, they use the information for the investigating, in court etc. It's not on-line service like in the US, when your home (or even life and health) may be ruined by police because you were searching something "dangerous" in Google.
    Hanna and UhOhXplode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post

... It's not on-line service like in the US, when your home (or even life and health) may be ruined by police because you were searching something "dangerous" in Google.
    Большевик и большевичка пишутся с маленькой буквы.
    Если бы они проверяли всё компьютеры, то смогли бы предупредить многие массовые убийства. К сожалению, они с этим не справляются. Хотя, может, что-то и предупреждают.

"... by Halloween of this year, 121 people had already died in 26 mass killings around the country, according to data from USA Today .

In the last five years, there have been almost two mass shootings a month, according to a report from Mayors Against Gun Violence, a bipartisan group made up of over 1,000 mayors from across the country.

The U.S. Department of Justice
    estimates
    that between 2009 and 2012, 404 people were shot and 207 killed in these kinds of mass shootings. In the meantime, statistics show over 47,000 people were murdered in the US by firearms between 2006 and 2010, according to the FBI. ..."

http://fusion.net/dna_with_derrick_a...ootings-189696
    Hanna, Deborski and UhOhXplode like this.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Hanna
    I will read up on SORM and form my own opinion.
    If anything needs to be leaked about it, I hope that happens. I doubt it's anywhere near a fraction of the scale of what the NSA is up to.

Meanwhile in the land of the free & brave, from today's Guardian:

Jeremy Hammond, the Anonymous hacktivist who released millions of emails relating to the private intelligence firm Stratfor, has denounced his prosecution and lengthy prison sentence as a “vengeful, spiteful act” designed to put a chill on politically-motivated hacking.

Hammond was sentenced on Friday at federal court in Manhattan to the maximum 10 years in jail, plus three years supervised release. He had pleaded guilty to one count under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA) flowing from his 2011 hack of Strategic Forecasting, Inc, known as Stratfor. In an interview with the Guardian in the Metropolitan Correction Center in New York, conducted on Thursday, he said he was resigned to a long prison term which he sees as a conscious attempt by the US authorities to put a chill on political hacking.

He had no doubt that his sentence would be long, describing it as a "vengeful, spiteful act". He said of his prosecutors: "They have made it clear they are trying to send a message to others who come after me. A lot of it is because they got slapped around, they were embarrassed by Anonymous and they feel that they need to save face.”

Most pointedly, Hammond suggested that the FBI may have manipulated him to carry out hacking attacks on “dozens” of foreign government websites. During his time with Anonymous, the loose collective of hackers working alongside WikiLeaks and other anti-secrecy groups, he was often directed by a individual known pseudonomously on the web as “Sabu”, the leader of the Anonymous-affiliated group Lulzsec, who turned out to be an FBI informant.
    By the way, sorry about the bad grammar in my rant against two individuals above. I just re-read it and noticed several grammar mistakes.

Sometimes when I get really worked up, my grammar goes out the window.
    Should be careful about that here, where many are trying to improve their English and don't need people setting a bad example...

I've think the trolls are here to stay, but how dare they be rude the moderator who has had the patience of an angel with their childish antics?

The trolling also prevents those of us with a genuine interest in these questions from having a serious discussion, as the topic keeps derailing into petty squabbling and insults.

Everyone in Russia knows about SORM. That's an open secret.
    But SORM just collects information and stores it encrypted. If FSB finds out that a certain person is a terrorist or hacker, they use the information for the investigating, in court etc. It's not on-line service like in the US, when your home (or even life and health) may be ruined by police because you were searching something "dangerous" in Google.
    LOL! You didn't read the articles then? Ummmm... okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    I will read up on SORM and form my own opinion.
    Another one. LOL!

Paul G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    Большевик и большевичка пишутся с маленькой буквы.
    Если бы они проверяли всё компьютеры, то смогли бы предупредить многие массовые убийства. К сожалению, они с этим не справляются. Хотя, может, что-то и предупреждают.
    It was kinda nickname, so a capital letter was needed.

All of these stupid actions are pitiful and absolutely useless. Checking the million computers can't be organized properly. That's an utopian goal which just spends money of the US taxpayers, no more. Also, it leads the society to a deadlock. The more fears FBI/NSA produce, the more spontaneous killings they get and the more forces they need to manage it and the more killings they get and so on. Vicious circle.

It was kinda nickname, so a capital letter was needed.

All of these stupid actions are pitiful and absolutely useless. Checking the million computers can't be organized properly. That's an utopian goal which just spends money of the US taxpayers, no more. Also, it leads the society to a deadlock. The more fears FBI/NSA produce, the more spontaneous killings they get and the more forces they need to manage it and the more killings they get and so on. Vicious circle.
    Большой процент убийц, особенно наиболее известных, психически больные, которые не лечились или не имели доступа к медицинской помощи. Это может измениться к лучшему с внедрением Обамаcare, медстраховки, которая будет покрывать психзаболевания. Если бы ещё начали честно проверять тех, кто покупает оружие.
    Hanna likes this.

Политолог Николай Злобин прокомментировал Дмитрию Быкову свежие новости об Эдварде Сноудене | Дмитрий Быков | Собеседник.ру

"По заявлению адвоката Эдварда Сноудена, Анатолия Кучерены, американец потратил в России почти все свои деньги. Между тем, ущерб, нанесенный самим шпионом, даже еще не осознан полностью. Ситуацию комментируетодин из самых известных российско-американских политологов, член Валдайского клуба, президент вашингтонского Центра глобальных интересов Николай Злобин.

– Я говорил тут с одним американским профессором – фамилию, сам понимаешь, назвать не могу, – чей сын работал со Сноуденом. Так этот сын сказал, что Сноуден – человек исключительного ума и хладнокровия: другой бы такую операцию не провернул.

– Сноуден оставил без работы не меньше ста тысяч американцев, а уж в какую сумму им влетят его разоблачения – думаю, тут речь о десятках миллиардов. Потому что придется увольнять всех, кто имел дело с прежней системой слежки и мониторинга; придется строить новую систему, потому что от этого тотального мониторинга национальная безопасность США все равно не откажется...

Споры идут главным образом о том, «знал ли Обама» – помнишь, как у нас в свое время спорили, «знал ли Сталин». Допускаю, что Обама знал не все: руководитель агентства по национальной безопасности делает президенту доклад при вступлении в должность, это так называемая передача дел, и я вполне допускаю, что Обама не все услышал и не всему придал значение. Америка, как и Россия, большая страна, и бардак в ней тоже большой. Спецслужбы, разумеется, нигде в мире не находятся под контролем гражданского общества. Уже и то огромный прогресс, что конгресс запросил у Обамы и у руководителя АНБ – генерала Александера – сведения о том, действительно ли прослушивалась Меркель. И будь уверен, они не отстанут. Журналисты тоже вцепились, как бульдоги, – я был женат на американской журналистке и знаю, какая это хищническая профессия. Можем мы себе представить, как в Госдуму вызвали руководителя ФСБ и Путина для дискуссии о прослушке? Да у нас все уверены, что прослушивают всех, и не видят в этом ничего исключительного!
    Что касается личности Сноудена. Я не думаю, что это хладнокровный и коварный разоблачитель. По-моему, он принадлежит к числу так называемых blown vessels – нарушителей спокойствия, буквально «пароходных гудков». Это часть американской культуры, ниша национального героя, который видит, что нарушается закон, и бьет тревогу.

Иное дело, что человек он депрессивный, эмоционально нестабильный, с женщинами какие-то проблемы – что часто бывает у таких героев: у Ассанжа что-то было не очень хорошо с девочками. А информатор Ассанжа, рядовой Мэннинг, сам в итоге оказался девочкой. Раньше широко практиковалось привлечение к терактам депрессивных людей с суицидными намерениями: ему все равно, так пусть самоубивается с пользой! Но выяснилась обидная вещь: такие ребята легко меняют намерения. Впадают то в депрессию, то в эйфорию. Сноуден вряд ли хладнокровно готовился взорвать общественное мнение. Он, может, что-то и копировал, но, во-первых, ни одного сенсационного разоблачения от него пока не пришло. Во-вторых, его бегство выглядит достаточно спонтанным, непродуманным. А в-третьих, если бы он действительно так много вывез и знал – разве его отец свободно летал бы к нему? И что особенно интересно – тут объявили, что он нашел работу в крупной российской интернет-компании. Интересно, в какой, если все их серверы находятся в Силиконовой долине? Неужели «Яндекс» или «В контакте» решатся поссориться с американцами? А если они решились дать работу Сноудену – и это действительно правда, – значит, не такой уж он и враг.

– Сам-то ты как думаешь – он герой или предатель?

– Я солидарен с большей частью американцев, которым вообще не присущ экстатический восторг по поводу государства. Им кажется, что несколько штатов решились жить вместе – и прекрасно, и не нужно им никакое общее правительство, местное прекрасно справляется. И президент – фигура чисто представительская, а военное ведомство и разведка вообще нуждаются в постоянном гражданском контроле и ограничении аппетитов... Так что Сноуден этим большинством отнюдь не воспринимается как предатель. Проблема в ином – что, если он всеми начнет восприниматься как пример для подражания? А это обязательно будет, и вслед за Ассанжем и Сноуденом появится множество нарушителей конвенций. Представь, что будет, если возникнет полномасштабный конфликт чьей-то гражданской совести и военной тайны? Уже в будущем году я ожидаю нового Сноудена, не обязательно американского. И в этом смысле, пожалуй, даже хорошо, что в Америке есть мода на него – будут книжки, наверняка выйдет фильм, – а в России пока нет."

Banned
    Сноуден оставил без работы не меньше ста тысяч американцев
    придется строить новую систему, потому что от этого тотального мониторинга национальная безопасность США все равно не откажется...
    Взаимоисключающие утверждения. Если придётся строить новую систему, то появятся новые рабочие места.
    Можем мы себе представить, как в Госдуму вызвали руководителя ФСБ и Путина для дискуссии о прослушке? Да у нас все уверены, что прослушивают всех, и не видят в этом ничего исключительного!
    Если факты воспримаются населением бурно, это значит, что население живёт иллюзиями, которые вошли в конфликт с фактами.
    Если факты воспримаются населением спокойно, то это значит, что население мыслит трезво, и оно не околпачено пропагандой.

Hanna
    I am still angry that people are rude to Lampada, who is not a political person! She is just a person with a heart, and not into ideologies - prefers to use her brain for other things. It's clear from all her posts.
    And in terms of political view: Anyone who moves "СССР -> США" as Lampada, is hardly a "bolshevichka".

Anyway, interesting article. I hope things are going well for Snowden in his new job, and that he is able to replenish his personal finances.
    Deborski, UhOhXplode and RedFox like this.

Edit: Okay, I edited my post for ya. I think the following illustrates what is going on with Russia and that Putin didn't accept Mr. Snowden out of the kindness of his heart.

Americans have PRISM, and the Russians have SORM and PAK. — Phantom Report
    Russia’s Hypocrisy on Snowden | The Interpreter
    FSB Seeking to Expand Online Surveillance | News | The Moscow Times
    Skype, Gmail and Hotmail give encryption codes to Russian security services (FSB). [Archief] - Marokko Community

Look up SORM. Educate yourselves.

But, by all means, keep posting the daily neo-soviet drivel here ...
    When President Putin heard about PRISM, he was impressed and he called it a "workable system". That was in a news feed so he wasn't trying to hide anything. It was also in a news feed that he ordered stepped-up surveillance for the Sochi olympics. Again, he wasn't trying to hide anything.
    Btw, I have a few issues with this article:
    In most Western countries, law enforcement agencies and special services they need to get court approval for eavesdropping. This document is presented to mobile operators and ISPs.
    Americans have PRISM, and the Russians have SORM and PAK. — Phantom Report

The only court the US security services get approval from is the FISA court and they never refused any of their requests. And how can anyone get all the court orders they'd need to wiretap and spy on over 300,000,000 Americans?
    Yes, Russia has SORM and I wouldn't be very impressed if they didn't. National security and surveillance are vital for any Nation that wants to survive. At least Russia let the people know what they were doing.

About Snowden: When he made all those leaks, I thought he was a traitor. Now I think he's just an idealist so I hope his new job works out. Maybe if he gets happy working and living in Russia, he can stop thinking about politics. I mean, how many people really believe that the internet or androids are private. I never believed that. And surveillance is a cool way to stop violence.
    Anyway, Snowden is innocent. He didn't bust into the building to get the information. Our lame National security service let him walk in and take it. But did the Obama administration or Congress get all hot about that? No. They just wanted vengeance... and they still do. The real criminals are the ones that let him get into the building and take the information.
    What really hurt about the Snowden thing was when I realized how weak our Country is. I mean we have a President that's all gay and a National security that's not secure and we've been sending money and arms to terrorists in Syria! And that's too nuts to even discuss!

Btw, "neo-soviet drivel" is a poor choice of words in an intelligent discussion. Just saying.
    Basil77 and Deborski like this.

...Lampada, who is not a political person! She is just a person with a heart, ...
    Спасибо на добром слове, Ханочка!

Quote Originally Posted by UhOhXplode View Post
    Btw, "neo-soviet drivel" is a poor choice of words in an intelligent discussion. Just saying.
    Last edited by Lampada; November 21st, 2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Disrespectful comment

Bill Maher Celebrity Christmas Books

"We See You when you're Sleeping" by The NSA.

Love it!

Bill Maher Celebrity Christmas Books | Kick! Making Politics Fun

http://rackjite.com/bill-maher-celeb...ristmas-books/
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by политолог Дмитрий Злобин View Post
    По-моему, он принадлежит к числу так называемых blown vessels – нарушителей спокойствия, буквально «пароходных гудков». Это часть американской культуры, ниша национального героя, который видит, что нарушается закон, и бьет тревогу.
    Is "blown vessel" a real term? I've heard about the term "whistle blower", yet the term "blown vessel" I see for the first time. I suspect this is a case of misheard speech.

Somebody still remembers Snowden? Aren't his fifteen minutes of glory over yet? Ah, never mind.

I am still angry that people are rude to Lampada, who is not a political person! She is just a person with a heart, and not into ideologies - prefers to use her brain for other things. It's clear from all her posts.
    And in terms of political view: Anyone who moves "СССР -> США" as Lampada, is hardly a "bolshevichka".

Anyway, interesting article. I hope things are going well for Snowden in his new job, and that he is able to replenish his personal finances.
    Yes, not political at all. LOL!

masterrussian.net/f13/не-всё-благополучно-в-сша-что-то-даже-хуже-чем-в-россии-21456/

(Deleted. L.)
    Last edited by Lampada; December 2nd, 2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Calling names, insulting

Yes, not political at all. LOL!

masterrussian.net/f13/не-всё-благополучно-в-сша-что-то-даже-хуже-чем-в-россии-21456/

(Deleted. L.)
    For calling people here names ("the sheep flock" pretty insulting and disrespectful). As the warning has been given already, 14Russian gets 7 day ban.

Edward Snowden and Glenn Greenwald: The Men Who Leaked the NSA's Secrets | Politics News | Rolling Stone

Excellent and in-depth article about Snowden and Greenwald from Rolling Stone. Very thorough portrait of Snowden's background, his journey from hacker to NSA contractor to whistleblower and vilified spy. Very good investigative journalism and writing.

Like Bradley Manning, whose case he would later study, Snowden had an idealized view of the United States and its role in the world. He also had a gamer's sense of his own ability to beat the odds – he'd later tell Greenwald that his moral outlook had been shaped by the video games he played as a kid, in which an everyman-type battles tremendous and seemingly invulnerable forces of injustice, and prevails. Following that ethos, and deeply affected by 9/11, Snowden enlisted in the Army in 2004, hoping to join the Special Forces and fight in Iraq. "I believed in the goodness of what we were doing," he said. "I believed in the nobility of our intentions to free oppressed people overseas." But he was quickly disabused of this idea – "Most of the people training us seemed pumped up about killing Arabs, not helping anyone," he said – and months into his Special Forces training course at Fort Benning, Snowden later said, he broke both his legs and was discharged.
    Hanna likes this.
    Вот потому, что вы говорите то, что не думаете, и думаете то, что не думаете, вот в клетках и сидите. И вообще, весь этот горький катаклизм, который я здесь наблюдаю, и Владимир Николаевич тоже…

This is the era when videogames affect one's political views no less than books do. Mostly because there were no videogames in other eras.
    Deborski likes this.

"Wikileaks и Сноуден многих научили тому что по-настоящему секретные документы могут быть только бумажными. Кое-где даже пишущие машинки опять появились."

"Федеральная служба охраны РФ заказала 20 пишущих машинок. Соответствующий заказ размещен на сайте госзакупок. В соответствии с документацией, каждый аппарат ФСО планирует приобрести примерно за 10 тысяч рублей."

http://lenta.ru/news/2013/07/11/tape/

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast