Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: British health care

Re: British health care

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    Frankly there is something very perverted about this. What's going on?

1) You guys HAD free universal healthcare in the USSR, right? What happened to that?
    It's still there Theoretically. We have insurances, but 'free healthcare' means you won't get into a well-equipped hospital, you won't receive any good medical preparations since there simply no such preparations in the hospital, they won't be able to diagnose your illness properly since there is no necessary medical equipment etc. The doctors there have very small salaries and the nurses are paid even less so no one would care for you. They won't let you die (if this will be in their powers) but they won't do anything more than that. No equipment, no free beds, no nurses, no medicine - all of this you will get for free.
    You can buy a non-government insurance and get everything but this will cost you much more. Very few people have non-government insurances. It is not even because very few can afford that, many insurance companies offer rather good insurance portfolios but the motto of nearly all Russian men can be roughly translated as 'when this happens (if this happens) something will come up'.
    Few are willing to pay for some future medical services (after all, we all think we'll be always healthy and live forever).

2) Russia is a rich country! It's full of stuff that other countries want - oil, gas, minerals... There must be money for something as basic as health.
    Yes, but Russians also steal much. Stealing is not even considered a big sin really. We all complain about government being thieves though.
    There's an example. If someone approaches to you in Sweden and boasts that he or she had just concealed a rather big sum of money from tax authorities what will you do? In Russia we will say - way to go! When someone tells me that he'd stolen something from his company - nobody would object (well, except the company, of course). The only theft that is disapproved is a theft of personal belongings. Stealing from the government or from some big company is considered absolutely moral.

3) The level of education is high - people go to Russia from around the world to study medicine. Not like in backwards countries where they don't have the skills to organise universal healtcare.
    The level of education of the former USSR is deteriorating fast. We have a very 'nice' minister of education now, by the way. It appears that he won't have rest untill he destroys the education system completely. But it's another story.

4) Most people probably believe in solidarity etc and would support free universal healthcare on principle... Unlike for instance the US where the view is different. OR??
    Yes, they will support if it would cost them nothing. Unfortunately, miracles just don't happen nowadays. People are cynical here and they become more and more cynical with every year. Nobody want's his money being spent on some old man dying due to the lack of proper medical preparations in some god forgotten provincial hospital.

So how can you NOT have free healthcare, what a shock.. !
    This ought to be a big political issue in Russia... ?
    Yeah, they like to talk about this, about reforms about budgetary deficit, about yearly spendings and blah, blah, blah. They are just that - talks.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Hanna

Thanks for taking time to explain that. That's a lot worse than I thought.

What you decscribe is really tragic / disturbing. For a country in Africa etc, I wouldn't be shocked - but Russia is so close to my country and gosh.... I still think you you as a superpower, to look up to in many ways. I agree with what you've been saying earlier that it's better to do something drastic, quickly than to let the whole country go to the dogs while playing "democracy" -- and it doesn't seem to convince anyone anyway..

But what to do? Perhaps the damage is already done and it's too late to fix it. Messing up the educational system as you mention seems like a complete disaster. Without a well-educated population you're down at third world standards.

In light of this it's easy to understand why there is so much cynism and resignation in the comments here.

At Soviet times our propaganda told that in the west capitalist countries "Homo homini lupus est", but today it's much proper to apply this saying for modern Russia. Sad. But it's true. That's the result of democracy, capitalism, "free" market and other such cr@p.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Почтенный гражданин

2) Russia is a rich country! It's full of stuff that other countries want - oil, gas, minerals... There must be money for something as basic as health.
    Curiously enough, this is a bit of a misperception. Russia has never been particularly rich. Which is a paradox, if you think about it, because it's not only oil and gas that we have, it's also grain and all sorts of stuff.

In Soviet times all spare money would go to the military industry, to help win the arms race against the US, launch spacerockets and so on. Nowadays... well, compare the income taxes in Russia and Sweden, for example -- in Russia it's 13%, in Sweden -- 28.89%--59.09%, which results in what you described in the other thread as people not being able to get too rich. I remember reading somewhere that Astrid Lindgren gave most of the money she got from her books to government taxes. Well, I swear I'd love to live in Sweden. In Russia, the richest people won't pay even those 13%, e.g., Khodorkovsky, who is not in jail because Putin didn't like him, as the Western media might suggest, -- the bloke didn't pay taxes.

This ought to be a big political issue in Russia... ?
    Nothing is a big political issue in Russia... Who is to blame and what's to be done?

What you decscribe is really tragic / disturbing. For a country in Africa etc, I wouldn't be shocked - but Russia is so close to my country and gosh....
    We are not quite there yet, I hope. Compared to Africa we're doing relatively well. I'd say the situation in Russia is similar to Argentina... But I know next to nothing about Argentina, so never mind.

There is money for some basic things, as Ramil said. The government pays the salaries to doctors and nurses (except that they're rather low), you don't have to pay for their work, your place and food in the hospital. And you might get some basic medicines. But as for more expensive medicines, you'll have to buy them for yourselves. Our higher education is also still free. I didn't have to pay anything for 5 years of studying, on the contrary, I got a stipend (which is extremely small). But you have to pass the examination first with good/excellent marks -- both to get into the university and to get the stipend.
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Завсегдатай

I stayed in a free, state-run hospital for 10 days this summer. I had a whole battery of tests performed on me for free immediately after I was checked in, and another series of tests at the end of my stay, not to mention almost daily blood tests. I was given free pills, free hypos, free IVs, and I was discharged feeling considerably better. Perhaps the service wasn't stellar, but it was fairly adequate in my case.

My father got nearly killed in a local hospital. He kept falling unconcious regularly and no doctor here could even diagnose his illness. At last in the Burdenko neurological surgery centre (which is considered the best of a kind in Russia) they were able to divine the reason - heightened intracraneal pressure due to accumulation of neurolymph and they offered him an operation (without any guarantee of success) - to intriduce a plastic tube into his scull and put the other end of it into his gaster. But they said - "no guarantees. we have never done it before."
    Then my father went to Germany and there they gave him some medicine and a machine that helps him to breathe when he's asleep (he snores and sometimes his breathing stops for short periods of time causing brain cells to die - neurolymph is supposed to wash them away but channels wasn't wide enough - that was the main reason of increased pressure). A medicine and a breath mask helped instead of operation! And our doctors couldn't even diagnose the problem! Now he feels all right, thanks God, and his breathing is much easier at night.

My mother-in-law broke her hip two years ago. After two unsuccessful operations her leg became shorter by 5 cm. She was about to be discharged from the hospital with inflammation two days after the operation - thaks God we came in time and bullied the doctor with all kinds of possible problems so she stayed and her hip was attended.

I came once to a 'free' dental clinic with a strong toothache. They've killed the nerve in my tooth and didn't even put a filling in! The doctor said: "Why? Your tooth is not aching, I won't bother with the filling!" They offered me to visit some commercial clinic.

There's a bigger problem that I see in our healthcare system - the lack of proffessionalism. Good professionals either chose to leave Russia or prefer to work in commercial medical centers with higher pay. What we have in ordinary hospitals are mostly slap-dashers which is unacceptable when we talk of health.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Quote Originally Posted by mishau_
    Только что из московской больницы, лежал с травмой 2 недели. Кошмар, позапрошлый век. Вдобавок был вынужден заплатить $1100 за инструменты. Радует лишь мастерство хирургов.
    С выздоровлением!
    Здесь бы никогда не продержали две недели или даже неделю. Ну разве что, если в коме.
    Спасибо, Лампадушка. Хотя выздоровление видится через полгода. Вообще, такая вещь как у меня - это дневной стационар: утром пришел, днем операция, ночь отдыха и утром свободен. А я в результате схватил какую-то хворь и меня вышвырнули с температурой сорок. А в Америке да, так вышло со мной в палате лежал врач, он ездил на обмен опытом в США. Говорит, врачи там очень узколобые и туповатые. Ничего не знают и постоянно ставят галочки в планшет (типа анкеты), потом с этим планшетом бегут в какой-то кабинет, сверяют с Большим Планшетом свой планшет и таким образом вычисляют диагноз и лечение. Трогать пациентов руками им запрещено (или они сами не умеют). Носят на шее дорогие фонендоскопы, а прослушивать могут только пульс. Ежели кто-то помрет, они не виноваты - все есть в планшетах. Жесть.
    English Edition

В обычных странах церковь отделена от государства, а в России - от Бога.

Завсегдатай

Носят на шее дорогие фонендоскопы, а прослушивать могут только пульс. Ежели кто-то помрет, они не виноваты - все есть в планшетах. Жесть.
    А еще они всех посылают на МРТ, если верить доктору Хаусу.

насчет МРТ не знаю, а мне нужен ЭМГ. Мне во время операции повредили какой-то нерв и 50/50 я могу остаться инвалидом - отключена правая рука. И спросить не с кого, согласие на операцию я сам подписывал. А я сдуру написал про мастерство хирургов.
    English Edition

Я же говорю - мясники, троечники!
    В нашей стране лучше не болеть.

насчет МРТ не знаю, а мне нужен ЭМГ. Мне во время операции повредили какой-то нерв и 50/50 я могу остаться инвалидом - отключена правая рука. И спросить не с кого, согласие на операцию я сам подписывал. А я сдуру написал про мастерство хирургов.
    Ой, ничего себе. Ужас.
    Миша, я не специалист, могу только примитивно моё понимание подать. Своей левой рукой (лучше просить кого-нибудь) двигай, ворочай свою правую в разные стороны. Чем больше, тем лучше. Не давай ей долго быть без движения. Какие-то сигналы от такого движения поступают в головной мозг и там, в ответ на движение, образуются новые связи, наверное, создаётся новый нервный центрик, другая часть мозга берёт на себя руководство. Здесь это рутинно делается в физической терапии. Терапист двигает парализованной рукой пациента: одно и то же движение сотни, тысячи раз. Например, одевает деревянное кольцо на палку. В конце концов, рука может это повторить сама. И так же другие движения. Долгий процесс, но можно достигнуть цели.
    Удачи!

Удивительная история с Jason Crigler. После серьёзного кровоизлияния в мозг, он практически остался "овощем": открытый рот, весь парализован. Врачи не давали никаких надежд на выздоровление, советовали оставить его доживать его жизнь в nursing home. Его семья ценой невероятных усилий (непрестанная физическая терапия) вернула его к жизни. Его друг всё то время делал фильм о происходящем. Сам Jason, кстати, ничего об этом не знает, не помнит, как вроде его там не было. Сейчас он полностью здоров, снова работает, пишет музыку. Одно остаточное явление - двойное зрение не могут исправить.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM9FSGN2JTU

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles ... ?page=full
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Спасибо за совет и поддержку, Лампада! Самое обидное, что травматологи открещиваются, это деморализует и несколько даже пугает. Знакомый травматолог показал мне несколько видов массажа и упражнения, например катать бутылку и захватывать мячик. Буду выполнять. Физеотерапия мне противопоказана из-за имплантантов. Но ЛФК показан на 100 процентов. Может я переоценил свое здоровье, но последствия операции гораздо более болезненненые, чем я рассчитывал. Зато я могу стоя играть на гитаре (с анаболиками).

Тем не менее, еще раз подчеркну, сервис в больницах очень низкого качества. Достаточно упомянуть, что с собой надо брать тарелку, кружку, ложку, мыло и пижаму. При этом хранить эти предметы в палате запрещено. Маразм. От сестер постоянно слышно совковое "вас много я одна". Кнопок вызова сестер тоже не было. И там много еще чего. Сквозняк, например, из-за запрета курения, запрет персоналом нарушается, поэтому окна всегда и везде открыты, чтобы дыма не было заметно.

Коммерческая клиника - это 5 тысяч рублей в день, плюс операция 20 000 рублей и имплантанты как у меня - 45 тысяч рублей, Швейцария. Правда держат два дня. Итого имеем 75 тысяч рублей против моих 40-ка. В общем, платное лечение встало бы мне почти вдвое дороже. Плюсы в нем тоже есть, например качественная анастезия, однократный сбор анализов, отдельная одноместная палата с туалетом, вежливые сестры.

Насчет анастезии скажу отдельно. Изначально я думал мне обколют руку новокаином и в путь. Но мне делали - как ее называют - проводниковую анастезию. Из личного опыта, заключается она в следующем: в шею делается прокол иглой затем начинают ворошить нервный пучок. В результате этих манипуляций у вас в том или ином месте возникает болевой прострел, как при приступе невралгии (или как если шею продует). Шевелиться при этом нельзя, иначе вам повредят нерв и привет. Вы должны ответить когда прострел пойдет в локоть, тогда вам в место прокола введут анастезию и рука целиком занемеет - не поднять.
    Мне делали четыре прокола в шею и долго искали прострел в локоть. В результате мне заморозили легкое, глаз, голосовые связки и немножко локоть. Поэтому операцию делать несколько больно, о чем я не стеснялся сообщать не всегда в цензурной форме. Шепотом - голоса-то не было. Тогда мне вкололи снотворное и я выключился, и проснулся уже, когда мне зашивали руку, тоже больно. В итоге, я нашел метод проводниковой анастезии несколько варварским и малоэффективным.
    English Edition

Мне во время операции повредили какой-то нерв и 50/50 я могу остаться инвалидом - отключена правая рука.
    Беда. =( Поправляйся!

... Физеотерапия мне противопоказана из-за имплантантов. Но ЛФК показан на 100 процентов. ...
    Надеюсь, ты не называешь физическую терапию физиотерапией. Под физической терапией я имею в виду только физические упражнения, то есть, как оказалось, ЛФК. (Не помню такую аббревиатуру. Называли просто "лечебная физкультура").
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Quote Originally Posted by BappaBa
    Мне во время операции повредили какой-то нерв и 50/50 я могу остаться инвалидом - отключена правая рука.
    Беда. =( Поправляйся!
    Спасибо, я стараюсь. Завтра мне узнают насчет опытного травмотолога, оказалось соседка работает рентгенологом в травме.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    ... Физеотерапия мне противопоказана из-за имплантантов. Но ЛФК показан на 100 процентов. ...
    Надеюсь, ты не называешь физическую терапию физиотерапией. Под физической терапией я имею в виду только физические упражнения, то есть, как оказалось, ЛФК. (Не помню такую аббревиатуру. Называли просто "лечебная физкультура").
    ЛФК - это и есть лечебно-физкультурный комплекс. ЛФК является частью физеотерапии. Физеотерапия - это еще и массаж, УВЧ, электрофорез, магнитная и лазерная терапия и т.п. И в моем случае эффективным был бы курс электро-чего-то там, это когда током заставляют мышцы сокращаться и в конце концов рука начинает работать сама (прямо как ты говорила, только более эффективно). Но многие виды, в т.ч. и массаж мне не подойдут из-за металла в теле. Так мне сказал врач. И еще я буду звенеть на контроле в аэропортах. И еще мне в баню нельзя, пластины будут греться и жечься.

p.s. Сегодня я печатаю двумя руками, надо же и бесполезную кисть как-то задействовать.
    English Edition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12