Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans shocked: Soviet troops approach the countrys heart

Americans shocked: Soviet troops approach the countrys heart

Just funny, I cant' believe it.

The US public has been agitated by reports on Russian troops in Georgia. In particular, residents of southern states are worried that “Soviet troops” have come too close to America’s heart. The matter is, name of the country in the post-Soviet territory is similar to the one of the US state – Georgia.

As a result, US forums are flooded with posts of the following kind: “First Georgia, what’s next? Florida?!” or “Why is the Russian Army in Atlanta?”.

According to sociologists, it is a rarest occasion that any event in the former USSR countries triggers such tremendous public response.

http://www.regnum.ru/english/715618.html
    English Edition

В обычных странах церковь отделена от государства, а в России - от Бога.

Властелин
    Боже, сколько можно одно и то же пережевывать в куче тем? Давайте еще пару штук создадим?
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

Она была не в том топике. Fun Stuff для анекдотов. А я хотел узнать как американцы могли до такого дойти. На полном серьезе. Вам бы все игрушки играть да шутки шутить.
    English Edition

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by mishau_
    Она была не в том топике. Fun Stuff для анекдотов. А я хотел узнать как американцы могли до такого дойти. На полном серьезе. Вам бы все игрушки играть да шутки шутить.
    Американцы?
    http://masterrussian.net/mforum/viewtop ... sc&start=3

В принципе, да. Согласен. С другой стороны, помню олимпиаду, где когда побеждали грузины, американцы были в восторге, потому что думали, что это были спортсмены из Америки.
    English Edition

Властелин
    А я хотел узнать как американцы могли до такого дойти. На полном серьезе.
    На самом деле это не настолько страшно. Вот если бы, например, американский штат по-русски тоже "Грузия" назывался мы бы что никогда его с Грузией не путали? Думаю, что тоже бы путали. Конечно, в большинстве случаев понятно по контексту, но ведь люди иногда просто просматривают статью по диагонали или вообще только заголовки. Так что неудивительно, что люди в первую очередь думают о том, что им ближе И конечно, как сказал Propp в той ветке в Fun Stuff, многие там просто прикалывались.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

В принципе, да. Согласен. С другой стороны, помню олимпиаду, где когда побеждали грузины, американцы были в восторге, потому что думали, что это были спортсмены из Америки.
    C'mon now. Americans are not that stupid... If they cheered for Georgians, there musta been other reasons.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

If they did, which I doubt, I don't think they thought he was American, but cheered because Georgia is, after all, in America! If I was there, I would cheer for Georgians, even though I knew they weren't American Georgians!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Завсегдатай
    Если бы в газетах появился заголовок "ядерная бомба взрывается в Москве", то скорее всего, в голову пришла бы идея, что они говорят про Москву, которая находится в России. Но вполне возможно, что они имеют в виду один из около десяти американских городов по тому же самому имени.

Для многих людей, которые не живут в этом регионе мира, Грузия ничего не значит. Это просто маленькое, неважное место, пострадавшее из-за войны и бедности... Я знаю многих людей, которые не знают, что Грузия существует.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Если бы в газетах появился заголовок "ядерная бомба взрывается в Москве", то скорее всего, в голову пришла бы идея, что они говорят про Москву, которая находится в России. Но вполне возможно, что они имеют в виду один из около десяти американских городов c тем же самым именем.

Для многих людей, которые не живут в этом регионе мира, Грузия ничего не значит. Это просто маленькое, неважное (малоинтересное) место, пострадавшее из-за войны и бедности... Я знаю многих людей, которые не знают, что Грузия существует.
    Could you please occasionally correct my stupid errors!
    Korrigiert bitte ab und zu meine dummen Fehler!

Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    If they did, which I doubt, I don't think they thought he was American, but cheered because Georgia is, after all, in America! If I was there, I would cheer for Georgians, even though I knew they weren't American Georgians!
    I strongly suspect that both Georgia's will soon be parts of America. How would you call them? Georgia1 and Georgia2? Or Maybe Western Georgia and Eastern Georgia.

Also it puzzles me how are you going to arrange stars on your flag in case the 51st (or 52nd) state will appear. I tried to draw a good design but failed

Also does anybody know what seven red strips on the American flag symbolize?
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    I strongly suspect that both Georgia's will soon be parts of America. How would you call them? Georgia1 and Georgia2? Or Maybe Western Georgia and Eastern Georgia.
    hehe, wouldn't *that* be nice. As we already have two Virginias and two Dakotas, why not two Georgias?

Also it puzzles me how are you going to arrange stars on your flag in case the 51st (or 52nd) state will appear. I tried to draw a good design but failed
    the one for New Georgia will be in the top left corner and the others will be arranged in a shape of a hammer and sickle below.

Quote Originally Posted by laxxy
    hehe, wouldn't *that* be nice. As we already have two Virginias and two Dakotas, why not two Georgias?

the one for New Georgia will be in the top left corner and the others will be arranged in a shape of a hammer and sickle below.
    And everything is on red? And stars are golden? China might grumble, you know

Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Но вполне возможно, что они имеют в виду один из примерно десяти американских городов
    English Edition

Почтенный гражданин
    The red stripes stand for blood shed in the Revolutionary War. There are 13 total, for the 13 colonies. The white ones stand for purity.

Quote Originally Posted by RusskiSlav
    The red stripes stand for blood shed in the Revolutionary War. There are 13 total, for the 13 colonies. The white ones stand for purity.
    So, according to this, only 7 colonies were shedding blood and the rest remained 'pure'? (I'm joking) Thanks, by the way, I didn't know that.

Почтенный гражданин
    You're welcome

Почтенный гражданин
    The English name Georgia is a transliteration of the Hellenistic term (Greek: Γεωργία) derived from Georgios (Greek: Γεώργιος), a Greek name meaning "farmer"; Georgia here is indicative of farmland.

But what is the origin of the name Грузия?
    Is it really good farmland; and, if so, why is it an impoverished nation? And, why do the Russian want it so much?
    DO IT YOURSELF!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriusly
    But what is the origin of the name Грузия?
    Не знаю. Самоназвание титульной нации - картвели. (http://ezi.ru/1/20/986.htm)
    Древние названия некоторых частей Грузии: Колхида, Иберия. Но это кажется не самоназвания, а византийские и античные варианты.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriusly
    Is it really good farmland; and, if so, why is it an impoverished nation? And, why do the Russian want it so much?

Because it foolishly broke from the soviet union and now has nothing going for it.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast