Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lena

Thread: the word 'является'

Новичок

the word 'является'

I have been studying russian for a while now, but only recently came across the word 'является'. The only definition I can find of this word is 'is', but I thought that the present tense of 'is' wasn't used in Russian? Or am I wrong? Can anyone tell me in what situation this word would be used? Спасибо.

It's a formal word (I mean "является"). Normally it's not used in colloquial speech, but it is sometimes used in formal speech to convey the sense of the verb "to be" in the structure "noun/pronoun is noun", like "I am the host of the party" etc.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

I think "is" is a good translation for 'является'. However, the usage of that word in Russian is different from English. English makes use of "is" as an auxiliary verb, but there are no auxiliary verbs in Russian. That, I think, is the source of your confusion making you think the present tense of 'is' is not used in Russian.

If you want to say something like "This book is excellent," you would translate that into Russian as "Эта книга замечательная," omitting the auxiliary verb "is". And, technically, you could use 'является' here: "Эта книга является замечательной."

However, Russians in that situation would prefer saying something more elegant like "Это замечательная книга", avoiding the use of 'is' and the verbose form altogether.

So, what would be the correct usage of 'является', might you ask. I think the usage should be much closer to "would be".

Чем же является на самом деле эта книга? => What would the book really be?
    Эта книга является энциклопедией нашей жизни. => The book would be the encyclopedia of our lives.

vs.

Что же такое на самом деле эта книга? (Somewhat awkward in Russian.) => What is that book really?
    Эта книга - энциклопедия нашей жизни. => The book is the encyclopedia of our lives.

Close, but not the same.

Новичок
    Try searching for its infinitive, являться. It also has a meaning of "to appear," as in "to appear in a place" or regarding the appearance of something. I think you are finding "is" because there is some overlap between "to be/is" and "to appear (be) in a place." Does that make sense?

Новичок
    спасибо за советы. Those explanations were very helpful

RussianWelshman

Caution: Является have more than one meaning. See also "появляться", "заявляться" which could be used interchangeable with "являться".

The example:
    - Галина Борисовна, мы с товарищем Машковым, как пацаки, могли получать 2 чатла
    за выступление. Это максимум. Вода, луц и штрафы эцилоппам - это минимум чатл в день,
    а гравицаппа стоит пол-КЦ, это 2200 чатлов.
    Делим на 365, вычитаем субботу-воскресенье, получаем шесть.
    Значит раньше, чем через 6 лет, я никак не мог вернуться.

- Все это хорошо, Гедеван Александрович, но это слова. А где доказательства, что вы явились из космоса, а не продали скрипку, как это утверждает профессор Рогозин,
    и не функционировали все это время на дискотеке в Гаграх?
    One more example:
    Передо мной явилась ты
    And the last:
    Явился - не запылился!

I also have the example for the 2nd meaning of являться, the complicated one :
    The original:
    "Be what you would seem to be"--or if you'd like it put more simply--"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."'
    The translation:
    "Будь таким, каким хочешь казаться", или, если хочешь, еще проще:
    "Ни в коем случае не представляй себе, что ты можешь быть или представляться
    другим иным, чем как тебе представляется, ты являешься или можешь являться
    по их представлению, дабы в ином случае не стать или не представиться другим
    таким, каким ты ни в коем случае не желал бы ни являться, ни представляться".
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Lena
    Hey, look what I've found, guys. There are a lot of new things for me here. I've never thought of that before.
    http://www.gramota.ru/spravka/trudnosti/36_134
    Lampada likes this.