Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Read this please and advise

  1. #1
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    11

    Read this please and advise

    Hi,

    I hope you can help. I wrote this to a penfriend earlier:

    Если ты дашь меня твой адрес, буду покупать и посылать дахла книгы к тебе.

    Is it correct?

    I understand that after words like 'буду' and 'могу' the following verb will be in the infinitive.

    Is there a rule about this? Is there a list of words for which this occurs? Any help will be appreciated, so thanks in advance.


    One day, when I write brilliant Russian I will put some Russian text here. However, I can't promise that it will be in anyway witty.

    Please correct my Russian. I implore you fellow human.

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    17
    Если ты дашь мне свой адрес, я буду покупать и посылать ??? тебе книги.

    What do you mean---дахла? I can't recognise your broken Russian.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  3. #3
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,437
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Read this please and advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Dagest
    I understand that after words like 'буду' and 'могу' the following verb will be in the infinitive.
    Yes, you are right.

    Is there a rule about this? Is there a list of words for which this occurs?
    That's because 'буду' and 'могу' are verbs. If a predicate consists of two verbs (the auxiliary and the main) the second one (the main) should be in the infinitive. It's like in English one would say: "He will send a book". and not "He will sends a book".
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

  4. #4
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Если ты дашь мне свой адрес, я буду покупать и посылать ??? тебе книги.

    What do you mean---дахла? I can't recognise your broken Russian.
    Sorry, I was just trying to translate Roald Dahl into a Russian equivalent. Is the rest of the sentence ok?
    One day, when I write brilliant Russian I will put some Russian text here. However, I can't promise that it will be in anyway witty.

    Please correct my Russian. I implore you fellow human.

  5. #5
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Read this please and advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Friendy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagest
    I understand that after words like 'буду' and 'могу' the following verb will be in the infinitive.
    Yes, you are right.

    Is there a rule about this? Is there a list of words for which this occurs?
    That's because 'буду' and 'могу' are verbs. If a predicate consists of two verbs (the auxiliary and the main) the second one (the main) should be in the infinitive. It's like in English one would say: "He will send a book". and not "He will sends a book".
    I thought that must be the case. And I that must apply to any combination of verbs. Thanks for your help.
    One day, when I write brilliant Russian I will put some Russian text here. However, I can't promise that it will be in anyway witty.

    Please correct my Russian. I implore you fellow human.

  6. #6
    Властелин wanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Russia,Obninsk
    Posts
    1,467
    Rep Power
    14
    я буду посылать тебе книги Роальда Даля(or may be you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Dahl )
    Семь бед, один Reset

  7. #7
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    865
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Если ты дашь мне свой адрес, я буду покупать и посылать ??? тебе книги.

    What do you mean---дахла? I can't recognise your broken Russian.
    Sorry, I was just trying to translate Roald Dahl into a Russian equivalent. Is the rest of the sentence ok?
    1. I assume "h" is not pronounced in the name of Dahl, is it? If so, it shouldn't be transliterated. Is it a German name? I guess it should sound like Даль in Russian. Thus, Dahl's books = "книги Даля".

    2. That can change the main point, though. Are you going to buy and send him the books regularly? If yes, the latest translation would work.
    But I suspect you want to mean a single action, don't you? If your agreement is active for ONLY ONE action, you have to use perfective:
    Если ты дашь мне свой адрес, я куплю и пошлю тебе книги Даля.
    That's important, otherwise he will understand that you will do it permanently, many times.

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    16
    I'm not sure about the name, but Roald Dahl was a British author.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  9. #9
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    865
    Rep Power
    27
    I meant "ah" is not a typical letter combination in English words, it rather looks like German. Is "Dahl" pronounced with a long broad "A" (like in "father")?

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Боб Уайтман
    I meant "ah" is not a typical letter combination in English words, it rather looks like German. Is "Dahl" pronounced with a long broad "A" (like in "father")?
    Wiki says he is of Norweigan decent.

    Roald and Dahl don't look English to me. Maybe they are just rare, but I've never heard of another Roald before, and the only other Dahl I can think of is Sophie Dahl, who is Roald's granddaughter anyway,

    Oh and Dahl the parrot in Neighbours.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    16
    Yes he is of Norwegian descent (and decent too, as TATY says)!

    The Norwegian way to pronounce it would be Роал Дал, and I am pretty sure that is the way the English pronounce it too.
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  12. #12
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Англия
    Posts
    358
    Rep Power
    10
    I agree.
    Ленин пил
    Ленин пьёт
    Ленин будет пить

Similar Threads

  1. Must read!
    By Dogboy182 in forum Music, Songs, Lyrics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
  2. There, their and they're (must read).
    By Yazeed in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 29th, 2009, 07:41 PM
  3. All beginners should read this...
    By laxxy in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2006, 08:21 AM
  4. can you read this?
    By BJ in forum Fun Stuff
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 17th, 2004, 02:38 AM
  5. Irregular read
    By BETEP in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: August 24th, 2004, 09:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary