Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: How to say "correct" (as in, you are correct, that is correct)

  1. #1
    Увлечённый спикер Lindsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    6

    How to say "correct" (as in, you are correct, that is correct)

    Is it правильно? My dictionary has done nothing but confuse me on this!

    Thanks,
    Lindsay

  2. #2
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    10
    That's correct - Это правильно. You are correct. Does it mean "you are right"? You are right - Ты прав (Вы правы).

  3. #3
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,038
    Rep Power
    21
    If it's used as response as in 'It's correct' (i.e. Your statement is correct), this should be "правильно" (adverbial use). So this is a simple positive statement to express agreement: Правильно. (That's correct). 

    But it can be an adjective as well,
    as in 'the correct premise' -translates "правильное допущение", or 'correct answer' = правильный ответ.

  4. #4
    Увлечённый спикер Lindsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    6
    Thanks to you both

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    904
    Rep Power
    0
    Also "to correct" is поправлять meaning "to make it right", literally
    That's incorrect - это неправильно this adverb is joined with "не" because it ends on "о" and it's not used as negation

  6. #6
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    6
    My dictionaries do nothing but confuse me too! For every 1 English word it shows me like 20 Russian words. To make it worse, what it usually shows is not what a native Russian would say. I am finding a lot of useful information on this forum so far. Thanks everyone.

  7. #7
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmemme View Post
    My dictionaries do nothing but confuse me too! For every 1 English word it shows me like 20 Russian words. To make it worse, what it usually shows is not what a native Russian would say. I am finding a lot of useful information on this forum so far. Thanks everyone.
    The same can be said about any language, because meaning of words do not coincide. We have to understand their meaning in the way native speakers understand it.

  8. #8
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    The same can be said about any language, because meaning of words do not coincide. We have to understand their meaning in the way native speakers understand it.
    Very true. Understanding how a native speaker understands a word is better than any dictionary. What I mean is usually if you take a group of Russian words and translate them into English it comes to the same 1 English word. And usually the English word that the dictionary gives is what a native English speaker would speak. It's not the case when translating English into Russian with a dictionary though. It's just my observation.

  9. #9
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    10
    I don't know what dictionary you use, but when you take a Russian word and look it up in a big dictionary,they give many words.

  10. #10
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    I don't know what dictionary you use, but when you take a Russian word and look it up in a big dictionary,they give many words.
    I am talking about the more larger and accurate dictionaries and not some pocket dictionary or small computer program. For example, I use Google translate a lot. I was talking to my Russian friend and I wanted to know how to say "Lets do pull ups on the bar". He said the word for "bar" and I compared to what the google dictionary gave on their translate page. If you type the word "bar" it gives you about 30 Russian words just for the noun aspect! All these translate into 1 English word. The Russian vocabulary is much larger. Well, to get on with this story, the word my friend said was not the one stated in the long list of words. So there is not only the larger vocabulary but also the dictionaries do not seem to give a real life word that a Russian would say. This is where it gets frustrating. This is just one example I can think of. I have seen this many times with Russian.

  11. #11
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    10
    Russian vocabulary is several times smaller than that of English, but one cannot feel it. Read Russian texts, you will see that Russian is the same as English.

  12. #12
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Russian vocabulary is several times smaller than that of English, but one cannot feel it. Read Russian texts, you will see that Russian is the same as English.
    I disagree with this. Considering your reply, I am assuming that you are a native Russian speaker. A perfect example is the "bar" word that I used before. In English there can be a metal bar, bar exam, barred from admission, etc... 1 English word but many Russian words. Consider the phrase "Come on". This can translate a few ways in Russian depending on context. It is all said the same in English. Consider the question "why?" in English. There is 1 English word but there are different ways to say this in Russian. Or the word "run". A person can run in a race, the faucet can be running water, the car can be running, etc... The list goes on and on. And this is just counting root words. I am not even talking about grammar. English does not consider masculine or feminine words or things like this. In English, words will be the same no matter who is being talked to. I think you know what I mean. So the Russian vocabulary is not several times smaller but is actually bigger. This can be confirmed by known fact or simply talking with a Russian.

  13. #13
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    837
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmemme View Post
    If you type the word "bar" it gives you about 30 Russian words just for the noun aspect! All these translate into 1 English word.
    Did you even try to translate those Russian words back? I guess it would come up with several hundred English words.

    And anyway, that particular "dictionary" is useless for a language learner.

  14. #14
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by E-learner View Post
    Did you even try to translate those Russian words back? I guess it would come up with several hundred English words.

    And anyway, that particular "dictionary" is useless for a language learner.
    Yes, of course I did. I always do. That is the whole point I am trying to make. In fact, go try and report back what you notice. There will be a longer Russian list of words and a shorter English list of words. And this is just root words. Not different forms of the same root word as is the case with the Russian language. Like I said before, I use multiple dictionaries and not just "that particular dictionary". If you know of the best dictionary then please share.

  15. #15
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    837
    Rep Power
    10
    Ok, then you know that a single Russian word can be translated into many English words. It just that your statement about "All these translate into 1 English word" was confusing.

    If you know of the best dictionary then please share.
    There is no such thing.

  16. #16
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    10
    Место can be translated place, space, room, seat, job into English.

  17. #17
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    837
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Место can be translated place, space, room, seat, job into English.
    It's a good thing you didn't use "that particular dictionary" because you would have to deal with this:
    place
    space
    position
    seat
    site
    spot
    case
    room
    point
    passage
    job
    station
    situation
    stand
    berth
    region
    stead
    appointment
    bench
    lieu
    quarter
    billet
    joint
    package

  18. #18
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by E-learner View Post
    It's a good thing you didn't use "that particular dictionary" because you would have to deal with this:
    place
    space
    position
    seat
    site
    spot
    case
    room
    point
    passage
    job
    station
    situation
    stand
    berth
    region
    stead
    appointment
    bench
    lieu
    quarter
    billet
    joint
    package
    Yes, there will be examples of some Russian words that are used like this. Any 2 languages will translate like this sometimes. My point is that on average or the majority of the time there are more words and phrases like this for English than there are for Russian. This is because Russian is a more complex language. What we have here is 2 Russians using the same exact word, "Mecto", to try and disprove what I am saying. I alone gave a few examples in one of my last posts just off the top of my head. I realize you guys learned English as a second language. Congratulations. I just hope you don't try and downgrade what I am saying just because I am trying to learn your language and you have already learned mine. You don't see Russian as harder because it is your language. The facts that Russian contains a larger vocabulary and more complex grammar are not debatable. It is fact.

  19. #19
    Подающий надежды оратор grammatica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Russian vocabulary is several times smaller than that of English, but one cannot feel it. Read Russian texts, you will see that Russian is the same as English.
    Russian vocabulary is several times smaller than English vocabulary? I don't think so.
    www.grammatica.eu - Grammatica is an application that helps you analyze grammar, displays stress marks and turns any Russian text into learning material.

Similar Threads

  1. Are these correct?
    By vivefree in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 3rd, 2009, 01:54 AM
  2. Could someone correct this?
    By Trzeci_Wymiar in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 1st, 2008, 06:46 AM
  3. Is this correct?
    By frank in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM
  4. Need sombeody to correct my "broken" english
    By in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 12th, 2005, 04:42 AM
  5. Correct?
    By Евгения Белякова in forum German
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 18th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary