Thread: Translation of a Letter

Новичок

Translation of a Letter

Hello all,
    If anyone could please translate the following letter from English to Russian, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you very much.

Dear Grandmother,
    I hope you are doing well. Our Christmas break just finished, and now we’re back in university. For both me and Monika, this is our last semester in our undergraduate programs. In a month or so I will be receiving an “Iron Ring”, which is a small ring that symbolizes my specialization in engineering. I do not think such a thing exists in Ukraine, but in Canada it’s considered important. I have also applied for graduate school, but only time will tell whether I get accepted to a good university. If it appears that I will not receive acceptance to a university that I find good, I will probably take a position in the workforce. That being said, I need 2 or 3 years of experience in order to receive a Professional Engineer of Ontario license. This will essentially indicate that I am a mature engineer with reasonable competence.
    This semester I have numerous projects and assignments, most of which require the use of a computer. So with some hesitation, I bought a small portable computer that I can carry anywhere. It’s certainly not the best available, but it will serve the purpose for which I need it for. The computer has a small camera on it, so I can take pictures of myself, like this: *picture here*
    Thanks to this little computer, I can type this letter while on the bus. In fact, I’m on the bus to university as we speak!
    While we’re on the subject of school, have I ever showed you where I go to university? I think we’ve shown you photographs before, but here is a map of where we live (A) and where Monika and I go to university (B): *pictures here*
    As I sit on the bus, the streets outside are covered with a blanket of snow. The sky is a solid tone of grey, and the air is dry and blurred. We`re driving through a part of town that seems forgotten: old, broken homes and local industries right in their front porches. A drive through here will only last a minute, and after that we`re back onto the busy streets: generic square houses and wide asphalt streets. In the summer the streets are full of life and the world looks vibrant and alive. I find that in these months of snowy gloom, only quiet parks are pleasing to the senses. But I do love the sunny winter days, those days where cold snow still lay on grass and road, but the air is warm with the radiance of the sun.
    As you know, the wedding is merely a year and a half away. We hoped to have the wedding in July or, as an alternative, August, ideally on the feast of St. Veronica or St. Maximillian Kolbe. But the date primarily depends on availability. As in most places in the world that share this type of climate, the summer months are very popular for weddings. So on our meeting this Friday with our priest, we will have a set of possible dates. Then we must face the arduous task of finding a place to house our wedding party! And that will surely be a challenge also.
    ---------------------
    I’m writing this after our meeting, and I’m happy to tell you that our wedding is on July 4, 2010, at 3PM at St. Mary Immaculate Roman Catholic Church, in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.
    I’m going to finish this letter by telling you that we love you very much. We think of you often and hope that you are living life to your fullest capability, looking past the physical pain of this world and into the happiness that is to come after our life on Earth. God has us living here and now, and for a good reason. I hope that you and I both find what these reasons are, and live our days in this world in joy, humility, and obedience to God.

Re: Translation of a Letter

Дорогая бабушка, надеюсь у тебя всё хорошо. Рождественские каникулы только что кончились и мы вернулись в университет. Для нас с Моникой это последний семестр основного курса. Примерно через месяц я получу “Iron Ring” это маленькое колечко, символизирующее мою специализацию в машиностроении. Наверно на Украине такого нет, но в Канаде это считается очень важным. Я также подал заявку на поступление в аспирантуру, но удастся ли мне попасть в хороший университет покажет время. Если не получу приглашение в подходящий университет, может быть пойду работать по специальности. Говорят, что, имея опыт работы 2-3 года можно получить лицензию профессионального инженера в Онтарио. Это будет определённо указывать на то, что я опытный и компетентный инженер.
    В этом семестре у меня множество проектов и заданий, требующих работы на компьютере. По этому после некоторых колебаний я купил ноутбук, который могу везде носить с собой. Можно было купить и получше, но для моих нужд этот вполне подходит. На нём есть камера, и я могу себя снимать вот так: *picture here* Благодаря ноутбуку я могу писать это письмо, сидя в автобусе. Я и сейчас еду в автобусе в университет.
    Кстати, раз речь об учёбе, я не показывал тебе, куда я езжу в университет? По-моему я уже показывал фото, а вот карта места, где мы живём (A) и куда мы с Моникой ездим в университет (B): *pictures here* Я сижу в автобусе, а улицы снаружи покрыты снежным одеялом. Небо сплошь серое, а воздух сухой и туманный. Мы проезжаем часть города, которая выглядит заброшенной: старые, ветхие дома и местные жители у подъездов. Через минуту мы вновь выезжаем на оживлённые улицы: квадратные здания и широкие асфальтированные дороги. Летом улицы полны жизни и мир выглядит ярким и живым. Мне кажется, что в эти месяцы снежного уныния только тихие парки вызывают приятные чувства. Но я люблю солнечные зимние дни, в такие дни холодный снег лежит на траве и дороге, а воздух согрет солнечными лучами.
    Знаешь, до свадьбы только полтора года. Мы планируем провести свадьбу в июле, или как вариант в августе, лучше всего на день св. Вероники или св. Максимилиана Кольбе. Но в первую очередь дата зависит от записи. Во многих частях света с таким климатом лето - популярное время для проведения свадеб. В эту пятницу мы встречаемся в нашим священником, нам предстоит выбрать дату из возможных. Потом надо будет решить, где мы будем праздновать. Это тоже непростая задача.
    Пишу уже после встречи, и рад сообщить, что свадьба состоится 4 июля 2010 г. в 15:00 в церкви св. Марии, в Китченере, в Онтарио.
    Заканчивая письмо, хочу сказать, что мы тебя очень любим.
    The last sentences about god and pain I don't understand. All forms are male .

Завсегдатай

свадьба состоится 4 июля 2010 г.
    Какой ужас!
    За полтора года записываться!
    За это время можно уже и два раза замуж выйти.

Новичок

Quote Originally Posted by studyr
    The last sentences about god and pain I don't understand. All forms are female as if it's written by Monica's friend (not a boyfriend).
    That's okay, thanks anyway.
    Can someone else translate the last sentences?
    Also, can someone please change the forms to masculine because the letter was written by a male? Thank you very much.

Старший оракул

I’m going to finish this letter by telling you that we love you very much. We think of you often and hope that you are living life to your fullest capability, looking past the physical pain of this world and into the happiness that is to come after our life on Earth. God has us living here and now, and for a good reason. I hope that you and I both find what these reasons are, and live our days in this world in joy, humility, and obedience to God.

Заканчиваю письмо уверением, что любим тебя очень, очень. Часто думаем о тебе, надеясь, что живешь ты жизнью полноценной, презирая материальные невзгоды этого мира, обращая взор к счастью, ожидающему нас за порогом жизни земной. Милостию божей обитаем мы здесь и сейчас, и с веским на то основанием. Надеюсь и ты и я найдем это основание, и дни наши в этом мире наполнены будут радостью, покорностью и послушанием господу.
    Gosh! That was something!

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    Gosh! That was something!
    OMG! Такая стилистика подразумевает "Божией" и "Господу"

Бедная бабушка...
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    Заканчиваю письмо уверением, что любим тебя очень, очень. Часто думаем о тебе, надеясь, что живешь ты жизнью полноценной, презирая материальные невзгоды этого мира, обращая взор к счастью, ожидающему нас за порогом жизни земной. Милостию божей обитаем мы здесь и сейчас, и с веским на то основанием. Надеюсь и ты и я найдем это основание, и дни наши в этом мире наполнены будут радостью, покорностью и послушанием господу.
    Вот я когда в первый раз фотошоп установил, у меня такая же фигня получилась. Запустил... где... что.. чего... куда... ничего не понимаю. Установил русификатор и опять... где... что.. чего... куда...

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by studyr
    Установил русификатор и опять... где... что.. чего... куда...
    На все воля господня!

Завсегдатай

Аминь!
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Новичок

Thank you for the translation of the last paragraph.
    I am sorry that you all have to mock my letter, though.

I sincerely hope that one of you will please change the forms to masculine in the translation, because it will not make sense to our grandmother, why the letter has been written by a female. I think she will be more confused about that, than the last paragraph.

Thank you in advance.

Почтенный гражданин

1. Graduate school это не аспирантура насколько я понимаю. Аспирантура это по-моему post-graduate studies.
    2. That being said не означает "говорят". Это буквально означает "с учетом вышесказанного".

Новичок

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    1. Graduate school это не аспирантура насколько я понимаю. Аспирантура это по-моему post-graduate studies.
    2. That being said не означает "говорят". Это буквально означает "с учетом вышесказанного".
    Thank you, MikeM.

Sorry about all the questions, but I can't read Russian and I'm really hoping somebody will tell me whether the letter makes sense or not (ie. written by a male) so that I can finally send it off. Thank you!

I do not think such a thing exists in Ukraine, but in Canada it’s considered important.
    As a side note, I met several descendants of Ukrainians in Canada who'd speak perfect Ukrainian, but couldn't make out a word in Russian. That was rather unusual ...

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by monika.henri
    whether the letter makes sense or not (ie. written by a male)
    Yes, it does.
    As far as I can tell, studyr changed it for you two weeks ago:
    The last sentences about god and pain I don't understand. All forms are male .

Last edited by studyr on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.