Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: surname translation?

  1. #1
    Новичок
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    surname translation?

    I'd appreciate it if someone would translate the surname, Bolotinskaya, into English for me.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: surname translation?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeauB
    I'd appreciate it if someone would translate the surname, Bolotinskaya, into English for me.

    Thanks!
    Bolotina is marshland.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    198
    Rep Power
    9
    Names are just names. They aren't in any language and cannot be translated.

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne
    Names are just names. They aren't in any language and cannot be translated.
    Well they can. And they are in languages.

    Like I know a Ukrainian guy whose last name is Melnyk which means "Miller".

    Enrique Iglesias.

    Iglesias is Spanish for Churches.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  5. #5
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    9
    my last name is Castillo which is spanish for "Castle"

    and i know someone named Naaktgeboren which is german for "born naked"

    other names i know that have translations:

    Schaffer = german for shepard
    Salvador = spanish for savior
    Corona = spanish for crown
    etc...
    Иисус жил того, чтобы любить вас, а умер, чтобы спасти вас.

    wo yao nan peng you.

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    These are not translations in the common sense of the word. You can't translate a name and think this will be the same person yet with the name equivalent. No motivation whatsoever.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    These are not translations in the common sense of the word. You can't translate a name and think this will be the same person yet with the name equivalent. No motivation whatsoever.
    Yes you can. If you are a Russian "Miller" and I'm an American "Miller," then we both share in common our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather's professions! :P
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  8. #8
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    198
    Rep Power
    9
    Enrique Iglesias does not go by Enrique Churches while in the US does he? Names can be derived from words as all those examples are but that does not mean you translate your name when you go to other countries.

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Barmaley
    You'd better change your location. You're not 13th anymore! How about "Twisted Twelfth"? :P
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Barmaley
    You'd better change your location. You're not 13th anymore! How about "Twisted Twelfth"? :P
    Profile corrected. But I'm only like 20 ahead of Dmitri -- and in case you haven't noticed, that's well within his reach!
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  11. #11
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne
    Enrique Iglesias does not go by Enrique Churches while in the US does he? Names can be derived from words as all those examples are but that does not mean you translate your name when you go to other countries.
    Who said anything about translating their name when they go to a different country? The guy just asked if someone could translate that name for him.

    For all you know, he might just want to know what it means because, i must admit, it is rather interesting to know.
    Иисус жил того, чтобы любить вас, а умер, чтобы спасти вас.

    wo yao nan peng you.

  12. #12
    Новичок
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, exactly - I'm not attempting to Westernize a name, just looking for the meaning/original meaning/cooincidental meaning of Bolotinskaya.

    I have a friend whose last name is Bolotinskaya and she started to tell a group of us that would tell us what her last name meant in Russian (this was after her telling us a funny story about someone else's name) and then she changed her mind.

    I told her I'd track it down - thus my query here. It is kind of a challenge and she's quite interested in hearing what I turn up. The bolotina = marshland didn't pass muster with her.

    -----
    Here's what I got from another site (will see what she thinks of this this morning):

    Bolotinskaya is a female surname. Her husband would be Bolotinsky (Болотинский).

    Boloto means swamp. Bolotinskaya is a kind of adjective from swamp. Actually, this surname has two suffixes: -in and -skaya.

    The surname doesn't have a special meaning, but originates from SWAMP - БОЛОТО.

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne
    Enrique Iglesias does not go by Enrique Churches while in the US does he? Names can be derived from words as all those examples are but that does not mean you translate your name when you go to other countries.
    Firstly, it would be Ricky Churches.

    I didn't suggest he should be called that in the US. But names having meanings, and if a name is a basic name, or adjective, then using the word "translate" is perfectly acceptable?

    What does translate actually mean?

    Names are in languages, and they can be often easily be translated between languages. It doesn't mean people HAVE to be called by the local form of the name whereever they travel to.

    But 1. Translations exist
    2. People can use them if they choose.

    Loads of immigrants to America translated their (often German) names to English.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  14. #14
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    438
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauB
    Yes, exactly - I'm not attempting to Westernize a name, just looking for the meaning/original meaning/cooincidental meaning of Bolotinskaya.

    I have a friend whose last name is Bolotinskaya and she started to tell a group of us that would tell us what her last name meant in Russian (this was after her telling us a funny story about someone else's name) and then she changed her mind.

    I told her I'd track it down - thus my query here. It is kind of a challenge and she's quite interested in hearing what I turn up. The bolotina = marshland didn't pass muster with her.

    -----
    Here's what I got from another site (will see what she thinks of this this morning):

    Bolotinskaya is a female surname. Her husband would be Bolotinsky (Болотинский).

    Boloto means swamp. Bolotinskaya is a kind of adjective from swamp. Actually, this surname has two suffixes: -in and -skaya.

    The surname doesn't have a special meaning, but originates from SWAMP - БОЛОТО.
    Marshland can be translated as "болото" as well. "Болотина" is not 100% pure but possible in vulgar speach word for "болото".

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    Лол! Какие неожиданные ответы! Обычно, когда кто-нибудь спрашивает у нас как переводить свое имя, МРщики rip them apart....

Similar Threads

  1. Scottish to Russian surname translation?
    By elfy in forum Russian Names
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 23rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
  2. Surname Rickteroff?
    By badwolf in forum Russian Names
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: November 8th, 2007, 03:45 AM
  3. Polish surname
    By gm74 in forum Polish
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 7th, 2005, 02:25 AM
  4. Does my arabic surname mean anything?
    By mariashara in forum Arabic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 9th, 2005, 03:37 AM
  5. surname: Sherevan?
    By amberlicious in forum Russian Names
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 8th, 2004, 01:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary