Thread: sentences I wrote, do they look accurate w/ English translation?

Подающий надежды оратор

sentences I wrote, do they look accurate w/ English translation?

I've started trying to understand the imperfective and perfective aspects of verbs, and how to use them. Although I'm still a little confused, I wrote some out. If they look in any way a little bit wrong or silly, please correct them. Some words I got from Google Translate, so it may not look completely accurate. Thanks in advance

Вчера, Жанна покупала 2 сумки. - yesterday, Zhanna was shopping for 2 bags. (But even though покупать means buy, it doesn't emphasize that she successfully bought it...Right? Even though the word does mean buy..)
    Вчера, Жанна купила 2 сумки. - yesterday, Zhanna bought two bags.

сегодня Андрей пробежал марафон. - Today Andrei finished running a marathon.

посмотрим фильм с тобой. - We'll watch the entire movie with you.
    Будем смотрим фильм с тобой поздно. - We'll watch the movie for a while later.

Вчера, Жанна покупала 2 сумки. - yesterday, Zhanna was shopping for 2 bags.
    Perfect.

Вчера, Жанна купила 2 сумки. - yesterday, Zhanna bought two bags.
    OK

сегодня Андрей пробежал марафон. - Today Andrei finished running a marathon.
    Actually he both started and finished it today. I am not sure how to say it in English in a best way.

посмотрим фильм с тобой. - We'll watch the entire movie with you.
    Mostly prefix по- means "to do smth. a bit".

Будем смотрим смотреть фильм с тобой поздно. - We'll watch the movie for a while later late (in the night).
    for a while later = позже

Many say that Russian verb aspect is very difficult and contradictory. You better rely on intensive practice than on rules.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Властелин
    Вчера, Жанна покупала 2 сумки. - yesterday, Zhanna was shopping for 2 bags. (But even though покупать means buy, it doesn't emphasize that she successfully bought it...Right? Even though the word does mean buy..)
    Вчера_ Жанна купила 2 сумки. - yesterday, Zhanna bought two bags. This sentence is very strange, although you are right.

Cегодня Андрей пробежал марафон. - Today Andrei finished running a marathon.

Посмотрим фильм с тобой. - We'll watch the entire movie with you.
    Будем смотреть фильм с тобой поздно. - We'll watch the movie for a while later.
    Yes, you are right.

I think that if your intended meaning is "We'll watch the entire movie with you," it's best to say Просмотрим фильм с тобой. If you say посмотрим here, it means "We'll watch a little bit of the movie with you (and then we'll stop watching it)."

So, although по- makes the verb perfective and thus signifies that the action was completed instead of continuous, it also has the meaning of "just a little bit" or "only for a short while."

Compare:

Она читала книгу. = She was reading (and reading, and reading) the book. (imperfective)

Она прочитала книгу. = She finished the whole book, cover-to-cover. (perfective)

Она почитала книгу. = She read the book for 15 minutes or so, then stopped reading. (also perfective, but emphasizing the short duration of the activity)

P.S. Just for the sake of practice, yswaq, it's a good idea to make a habit of spelling out your numbers in Russian, instead of using numerals:

Вчера, Жанна покупала две сумки.

Мы с тобой будем смотреть два фильма (потом / позже).

Note that "фильм" is masculine but "сумка" is feminine. Also note that "потом" is variant way to express "a little while later" or "next, after this."
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

Властелин
    I think that if your intended meaning is "We'll watch the entire movie with you," it's best to say Просмотрим фильм с тобой. If you say посмотрим here, it means "We'll watch a little bit of the movie with you (and then we'll stop watching it)."
    "Посмотрим фильм" - правильный вариант. "Просмотрим" здесь неуместно (is not apropriate here).

Подающий надежды оратор
    Yes, Marcus and it-ogo, you're right. I found out more about prefixes at this site Finally understand those Russian prefixes! very helpful! Thanks for your answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    Вчера_Жанна покупала две сумки.
    В данном случае должно быть купила, если она таки купила. Если она ничего не купила, то можно сказать: "Вчера Жанна хотела купить две сумки, но в том магазине ей ничего не подошло".
    Покупать (несов. вид глагола купить) - это только процесс и мы не знаем, чем он заканчивается. Обычно "покупать" говорят о покупке дома, машины. Когда мы покупали дачу, нам пришлось объездить много пригородов.