Thread: Quick translation...I think

Подающий надежды оратор

Quick translation...I think

First of all...this is my first post...Im new here....and in order to be the perfect new guy, I need help with translation. I want to translate the phrase "got Freedom?" into Russian. I want to make sure no idioms (my biggest problem) that I am not aware of may enter into this. I also want to use any idiom that may relate.

I have been studying Russian for about 3 years now, but only on my own, and dont have a lot of help. Im pretty sure I know the answer to this one, but i want to make sure I get it right, because I intend to use it on some artwork. Any help would be much appreciated. This forum looks awesome, I cant wait to use it. THanks.

hmm... I would translate it as:

"у тебя есть свобода?"
    or simply (wihtout the "do you have" part)
    "есть свобода?"
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Завсегдатай
    What about "получил(а,ли) свободу?"?

Guitari609, give the context.

Подающий надежды оратор
    I dont know if you have ever seen the milk advertisements that say "got milk?" but that is the same thing I am going for here. Basically a shortened question asking if one, whoever is reading the phrase, has freedom. I had kind of figured it would be: у вас есть свобода? But like I mentioned, I'm not real sure of myself on this. Plus I want to make sure it is the most natural way to say this.

In other words...if a Russian were to walk up to another and as quickly and briefly as possible ask if they have freedom, such as general freedom in life, freedom of expression, freedom from worry, how would they most likely say it?

Thanks for the responses.

Почтенный гражданин
    Generally, I'd say: Свободен?BUT, this свободен has lots of connotations like
    -when ask a taxi driver if he's vacant.
    -Свободен without a question mark means: Get the hell outta here.
    etc.
    Пораскинул мозгами, теперь собираюсь с мыслями.

Завсегдатай
    Than I think literal translation doesn't sound natural. At least it's not obviouse without context. I mean if someone walked up to me and ask "у тебя есть свобода?", I wouldn't get it. I would be like "чего?" or "какая свобода?".
    Maybe something like "Чувствуешь себя свободным?" but it's not exactly the same. Anyway I can't think of something better.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor
    -Свободен without a question mark means: Get the hell outta here.
    I'd say 'dismiss'.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Ok....so I think you are generally saying that my earlier attempt wouldnt make a whole lot of sense because thats sort of like asking if you own freedom right? So maybe a better way to get my question across would be to translate it more like "Are you free?" or would that again be dependent on the context, like it could still be used to ask if a taxi driver was vacant, and therefore wouldn't make a lot of sense to a Russian?
    Or maybe it should be translated more like "Got liberty?" Hmm.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Ok....so I think you are generally saying that my earlier attempt wouldnt make a whole lot of sense because thats sort of like asking if you own freedom right? So maybe a better way to get my question across would be to translate it more like "Are you free?" or would that again be dependent on the context, like it could still be used to ask if a taxi driver was vacant, and therefore wouldn't make a lot of sense to a Russian?
    Or maybe it should be translated more like "Got liberty?" Hmm.

Завсегдатай
    Jesus christ its not that hard just say 'Свобода, есть?'
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitari609
    In other words...if a Russian were to walk up to another and as quickly and briefly as possible ask if they have freedom, such as general freedom in life, freedom of expression, freedom from worry, how would they most likely say it?
    I would probably say something like "Ты ощущаешь (Вы ощущаете) себя свободным человеком?" There maybe lots of variations, e.g. instead of "Ты ощущаешь" one could say "Ты чувствуешь" or "Ты воспринимаешь". If the context is clear from your artwork and you want this to be a short and catchy phrase I guess you could use just the word "Свободен" with a question mark or the phrase "Ты свободен?". Again there might be a lot of nuances depending on your context... Unfortunately "Got Freedom?" doesn't translate nicely directly...