Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Looking for phrase. Possible from a woman's point of view?

  1. #1
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    8

    Looking for phrase. Possible from a woman's point of view?

    I am working on a novel and need help with a line of Russian. I am not looking for the most correct grammar, but seek how the line would be spoken aloud. The line is to be spoken by a young teenage girl, so a woman's point of view might be helpful.

    [i]The situation:
    The character speaking the line is a 13 year old girl, from a aristocratic family. Her father has recently become engaged to a Russian Naval officer. Her step-mother to be is a woman who she has known for several years, and whom she is fond. The girl has decided to call the woman mother. She does this in Russian as not to confuser her with her birth mother.

    Her line is "Goodbye, I will miss you Mother." The best translation I have come up with is "До свидания, я буду тосковать без Вас мать." : "Goodbye, I shall grieve without you Mother"

    My understanding of Russian linguistics is horrible. What would be the best translation for this statement. Keeping in mind it is supposed to be a term of endearment spoken by a teenage girl.
    Be patient, the gods are still at work here.

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Maybe

    До свидания, мама... Я буду тосковать по Вам.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mowcow, Russia
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    12
    "До свидания, мама, я буду скучать по тебе".

    You can probably also say "мамочка" ("mommy") instead of "мама".

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by translations.nm.ru
    "До свидания, мама, я буду скучать по тебе".

    You can probably also say "мамочка" ("mommy") instead of "мама".
    Is it what aristocratic girls can say?
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mowcow, Russia
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Quote Originally Posted by translations.nm.ru
    "До свидания, мама, я буду скучать по тебе".

    You can probably also say "мамочка" ("mommy") instead of "мама".
    Is it what aristocratic girls can say?
    I doubt he meant real old aristocracy. The were no female naval officers back then .

    Odin, can you give us some more info about the girl's background?

  6. #6
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by translations.nm.ru

    Odin, can you give us some more info about the girl's background?
    The novel actually takes place in very near future, so contemporary speech would be correct. The girl is very modern, and likes most things young teenagers like. However because she has had a very formal education she tends to behave and speak somewhat formally.
    Be patient, the gods are still at work here.

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mowcow, Russia
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    The novel actually takes place in very near future, so contemporary speech would be correct. The girl is very modern, and likes most things young teenagers like. However because she has had a very formal education she tends to behave and speak somewhat formally.
    Well, I think my first version ("До свидания, мама, я буду скучать по тебе") will work then.

  8. #8
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by translations.nm.ru
    Well, I think my first version ("До свидания, мама, я буду скучать по тебе") will work then.
    Thank you very much! This is a wonderful website.

    One more small question. Since it is being applied as a proper pronoun should "мама" be capitalized?
    Be patient, the gods are still at work here.

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    One more small question. Since it is being applied as a proper pronoun should "мама" be capitalized?
    No.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  10. #10
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    8
    Спасибо
    Be patient, the gods are still at work here.

Similar Threads

  1. At what point to introduce Radio/Text
    By ang12el in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
  2. a plaque - what's the point?
    By gRomoZeka in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
  3. A printable view
    By laxxy in forum Tech Support and Site Comments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 22nd, 2006, 04:06 AM
  4. Point taken
    By Leof in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: April 25th, 2006, 07:01 AM
  5. What's the point of the Russian Tourist Invitation ?
    By Mordan in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: April 12th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary