Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: I keep seeing this word.....

  1. #1
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    c:\earth\usa\minnesota
    Posts
    819
    Rep Power
    10

    I keep seeing this word.....

    forgive me if this word means something bad...i didnt know

    but what does бля mean...i hear it sometimes and see it sometimes and im not sure what it means....thanks

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Don't you try to trick us, you have the book "Dermo!" like the rest of us!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  3. #3
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Гражданин мира
    Posts
    914
    Rep Power
    12
    Well, hmm..
    It's a kind of obscene particle, which some people put in their speech every now and then, if they cannot communicate smoothly enough or want to show their coolness in a company of (low-level society, criminal, teenagers, drunk, "our own") men. Or interjection; for example if you stumble over something and hurt your toe, you cry "БЛЯЯЯЯЯЯЯ!" It derives from the word блядь (=the whore, and sometimes the full form of this interjection without a concrete meaning). I wouldn't recommend to use this word, because it is of the same level as х...й, п...зда, е...ать etc.
    There's milder version of this, блин, which may be used even by children from decent families, but it sounds dorky, like the "darn!" instead of "F#ck!"

  4. #4
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    c:\earth\usa\minnesota
    Posts
    819
    Rep Power
    10
    Thanks! I do have Dermo...but i didnt look there...lol

    I was listening to these russian ppl talk in a yahoo chat room...and as far as i could tell they were talking about computers...but every 5 words (literally) they would throw in the words бл* or бля*ь....is there a reason one would say this so often when talking about everyday things?!?!

    lol

    it intrigues me....

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Propp
    х...й, п...зда, е...ать etc.
    Propp is referring to хай (hi), поезда and ехать
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  6. #6
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    c:\earth\usa\minnesota
    Posts
    819
    Rep Power
    10
    oh..i guess you answered my question already....

    hehe....im smart lol

  7. #7
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    c:\earth\usa\minnesota
    Posts
    819
    Rep Power
    10
    Propp is referring to хай (hi), поезда and ехать
    lol...i dont think he was referring to that... lmao

  8. #8
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Гражданин мира
    Posts
    914
    Rep Power
    12
    Yes, it is used very often indeed. Every 3-4 words sometimes.

  9. #9
    JJ
    JJ is offline
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ural, Russia
    Posts
    1,390
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by saibot
    I was listening to these russian ppl talk in a yahoo chat room...and as far as i could tell they were talking about computers...but every 5 words (literally) they would throw in the words бл* or бля*ь....is there a reason one would say this so often when talking about everyday things?!?!
    Some people use it like an indefinite/definite article.
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

  10. #10
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Гражданин мира
    Posts
    914
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ
    Some people use it like an indefinite/definite article.
    Yeah, it's a common joke, but technically it is rather the end of a speech unit syntagma

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    в небе
    Posts
    2,223
    Rep Power
    13
    Идут занятия в английской разведшколе. Готовят агентов для засылки в Россию. Тема занятия - "Винный магазин". Изложив материал, препод спрашивает:
    - Вопросы есть?
    Один из курсантов поднимает руку:
    - Я не совсем понял: в предложении "Мужики, кто последний за пивом?", где должен стоять неопределенный артикль "бля"?
    Препод и отвечает:
    - В русском языке, курсант, неопределенные артикли - "типа", "эта...", и "че!?". А "бля" - артикль вполне ОПРЕДЕЛЕННЫЙ!

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    в небе
    Posts
    2,223
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Propp
    but technically it is rather the end of a speech unit syntagma
    :D
    The end of what?

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Синтагмой называется относительно законченный по смыслу отрезок предложения.

    Между прочим, базовое понятие фонетики на занятиях по английскому языку.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  14. #14
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Propp
    There's milder version of this, блин, which may be used even by children from decent families, but it sounds dorky, like the "darn!" instead of "F#ck!"
    Also, you can soften these words by changing the first 'б' into 'м': мля, млин. Only these two words. They have been invented to use in written speech and are widely spread over the Internet.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    в небе
    Posts
    2,223
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Синтагмой называется относительно законченный по смыслу отрезок предложения.

    Между прочим, базовое понятие фонетики на занятиях по английскому языку. :)
    Так я необразованный, откуда у меня такие понятия :)

  16. #16
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    в небе
    Posts
    2,223
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Also, you can soften these words by changing the first 'б' into 'м': мля, млин. Only these two words. They have been invented to use in written speech and are widely spread over the Internet.
    It reminded me of one story (I think it was one of Zoschenko stories) about a guy from a remote village that went to the seaside for the first time. And when he was back, he shared his impressions of the trip: Иду мля по пляжу, тут девка голая лежит, там девка голая лежит, иду мля переступаю через них... (it's not an exact quote, it was a long time ago).

  17. #17
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by alexei
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Синтагмой называется относительно законченный по смыслу отрезок предложения.

    Между прочим, базовое понятие фонетики на занятиях по английскому языку.
    Так я необразованный, откуда у меня такие понятия
    Ну ладно, согласен, что не все про это дело знают. А где-с вообще учились, если не секрет? Спрашиваю, потому что второй раз бросается в глаза эта ваша реплика.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  18. #18
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by alexei
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Also, you can soften these words by changing the first 'б' into 'м': мля, млин. Only these two words. They have been invented to use in written speech and are widely spread over the Internet.
    It reminded me of one story (I think it was one of Zoschenko stories) about a guy from a remote village that went to the seaside for the first time. And when he was back, he shared his impressions of the trip: Иду мля по пляжу, тут девка голая лежит, там девка голая лежит, иду мля переступаю через них... (it's not an exact quote, it was a long time ago).
    Very intriguing. Never knew about that. It was long time when I last read Zoschenko.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  19. #19
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    в небе
    Posts
    2,223
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Ну ладно, согласен, что не все про это дело знают. :) А где-с вообще учились, если не секрет? Спрашиваю, потому что второй раз бросается в глаза эта ваша реплика. 8)
    Давай на "ты", у нас тут вроде неформальная обстановка. Учился на инженера в техническом ВУЗе, с языком никакой, кроме технического перевода, связи не имеющего. То есть никакого близкого к лингвистическому образования у меня нет.

  20. #20
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Давай. Значит, душа захотела не технического, а настоящего общения. Я по образованию что-то типа англиста, из всех лингвистических направлений люблю перевод, но технический не очень.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A word! My cottage for a word!
    By radomir in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM
  2. Word to Word translation
    By penguinhead in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: April 12th, 2009, 10:39 PM
  3. help with this word, please
    By mekemker in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 7th, 2006, 02:47 AM
  4. Word of the day
    By начало in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: July 17th, 2006, 09:01 AM
  5. Word for you
    By JKDMan in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: October 20th, 2005, 05:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary