Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: homework check

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Анкара
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    10

    homework check

    I got some translations to do.I did most of them but i don't have any clue if it's right.And some of em are missing.

    1-Rain is over=Дождь кончался
    2-We can walk around garden a little=Мы немного бродить по саду
    3-I stroll with you with pleasure if you want=Если вы хотите я с удовольствием бражу с вами.
    4-Yesterday i went to theatre,tomorrow I'll go to cinema=Вчера я ходил в театр,завтра я буду ходит в кино
    5-Tomorrow I'll come to school at 9 a.m=Завтра я прихожу в школу в 9 часов
    6-In summer I come to school at 8 a.m=Летом я прихожу я школу в 8 часов
    7-I always leave from school at 8 p.m=Я всегда уходит от школы в 8 часов
    8-Today I'll leave school later=Сегодня я ухожу позже

    And here are some sentences that i couldn't translate:

    After class,I often call on cafe but today I won't call on there because i don't have time.

    In big cities it's needed to cross the street carefully because there is a lot traffic,because of this I only cross the street when police makes the cars stop.

    Last year I'd often find mushroom in forest,this year I don't know whether I can find or not.


    Tnx in advance
    Главное что есть ты у меня...

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Moscow,50 feet above the ground
    Posts
    4,106
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: homework check

    1-Rain is over=Дождь конч[и]лся
    2-We can walk around garden a little=Мы [можем] немного [по]бродить по саду
    3-I [shall](?) stroll with you with pleasure if you want=Если вы хотите[,] я с удовольствием [по]бр[о]жу с вами.
    4-Yesterday i went to theatre,tomorrow I'll go to cinema=Вчера я ходил в театр,завтра я [пойду] в кино
    5-Tomorrow I'll come to school at 9 a.m=Завтра я при[ду] в школу в 9 часов
    6-In summer I come to school at 8 a.m=Летом я прихожу я школу в 8 часов - well said!
    7-I always leave from school at 8 p.m=Я всегда ухо[жу] [из] школы в 8 часов
    8-Today I'll leave school later=Сегодня я [уйду из школы] позже



    After class,I often call on cafe but today I won't call on there because i don't have time.
    Perhaps you misswrote ON instead of IN? If that's true than :
    После уроков я часто зову (всех? друзей?) в кафе, но сегодня я (их?) не позову, потому что у меня нет времени.
    I might misunderstood your English phrase very much though..

    In big cities it's needed to cross the street carefully because there is a lot traffic,because of this I only cross the street when police makes the cars stop.
    В больших городах необходимо переходить улицу осторожно из-за плотного движения (машин), поэтому я перехожу улицу, когда постовой (or милиционер/or if you need полисмен or полицейский) останавливает машины.

    Last year I'd often find mushroom in forest,this year I don't know whether I can find or not.
    В прошлом году я часто находил грибы в лесу, this part of phrase is such a mystery for me humble English.
    Я так думаю.

  3. #3
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: homework check

    Quote Originally Posted by Leof


    After class,I often call on cafe but today I won't call on there because i don't have time.
    Perhaps you misswrote ON instead of IN? If that's true than :
    После уроков я часто зову (всех? друзей?) в кафе, но сегодня я (их?) не позову, потому что у меня нет времени.
    I might misunderstood your English phrase very much though..

    Are you sure this is correct? I thought that it would be "захожу instead of "зову "
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  4. #4
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: homework check

    Quote Originally Posted by Leof
    Last year I'd often find mushroom in forest,this year I don't know whether I can find or not.
    В прошлом году я часто находил грибы в лесу, this part of phrase is such a mystery for me humble English.
    В прошлом году я часто находил грибы в лесу, не знаю смогу ли найти в этом году...

    The second part of the phrase doesn't sound quite right in English BTW...

  5. #5
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: homework check

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leof
    Last year I'd often find mushroom in forest,this year I don't know whether I can find or not.
    В прошлом году я часто находил грибы в лесу, this part of phrase is such a mystery for me humble English.
    В прошлом году я часто находил грибы в лесу, не знаю, смогу ли найти в этом году...
    I would be grateful if you would correct my mistakes, since I would like my English to sound as natural as possible.

  6. #6
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Almaty (former Alma-Ata), Kazakhstan
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    10
    Leof, I'm afraid this time it's DDT who says the Truth

    call in = зайти, забежать ненадолго

    So:
    После уроков я частенько захожу в кафе, но сегодня не смогу (туда зайти), потому что у меня нет времени.
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Moscow,50 feet above the ground
    Posts
    4,106
    Rep Power
    14
    Amen!
    Я так думаю.

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,687
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: homework check

    Quote Originally Posted by Орчун
    After class,I often call on cafe but today I won't call on there because i don't have time.
    I have never heard of the verb "to call on", maybe you mean "to call"
    After class I often call the cafe, but today I wont because I don't have time.


    Quote Originally Posted by Орчун
    In big cities it's needed to cross the street carefully because there is a lot traffic,because of this I only cross the street when police makes the cars stop.
    In big cities, you must be careful when crossing the street because there is a lot of traffic. Because of this, I only cross the street when the police make the cars stop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Орчун
    Last year I'd often find mushroom in forest,this year I don't know whether I can find or not.
    Last year, I often find mushrooms in the forest. This year I don't know whether or not I can.
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

    Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

  9. #9
    Почтенный гражданин Spiderkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    504
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: homework check

    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    Quote Originally Posted by Орчун
    After class,I often call on cafe but today I won't call on there because i don't have time.
    I have never heard of the verb "to call on", maybe you mean "to call"
    After class I often call the cafe, but today I wont because I don't have time.
    To call on means to visit someone or to ask someome to do something, but it would make sense here.

    ...

    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    Quote Originally Posted by Орчун
    Last year I'd often find mushroom in forest,this year I don't know whether I can find or not.
    Last year, I often find mushrooms in the forest. This year I don't know whether or not I can.
    The first part is correct. It describes a past habit. The second part I think both ways are correct, "... whether or not I can" and "... wether I can or not".
    De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum.

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,687
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: homework check

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderkat
    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    Quote Originally Posted by Орчун
    After class,I often call on cafe but today I won't call on there because i don't have time.
    I have never heard of the verb "to call on", maybe you mean "to call"
    After class I often call the cafe, but today I wont because I don't have time.
    To call on means to visit someone or to ask someome to do something, but it would make sense here.
    I looked up "to call on" and it says "To order or request to undertake a particular activity: we called on our friends to help."
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/call+on
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... ne:call+on
    "to call on our friends" sounds fine to me, but "to call on cafe" definitely sounds strange.
    Also, it does not sound natural to repeat the verb "to call on" twice in the same sentence.


    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderkat
    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    Quote Originally Posted by Орчун
    Last year I'd often find mushroom in forest,this year I don't know whether I can find or not.
    Last year, I often find mushrooms in the forest. This year I don't know whether or not I can.
    The first part is correct. It describes a past habit. The second part I think both ways are correct, "... whether or not I can" and "... wether I can or not".
    "whether I can find or not" sounds awkward to me. I would omit the word "find".
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

    Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

  11. #11
    Почтенный гражданин Spiderkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    504
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: homework check

    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    I looked up "to call on" and it says "To order or request to undertake a particular activity: we called on our friends to help."
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/call+on
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... ne:call+on
    "to call on our friends" sounds fine to me, but "to call on cafe" definitely sounds strange.
    Also, it does not sound natural to repeat the verb "to call on" twice in the same sentence.
    Oops, the n't of would got lost . My post was meant to agree with you about to call on.

    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    "whether I can find or not" sounds awkward to me. I would omit the word "find".
    I agree with you here too, there's no need to repeat this verb.
    De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum.

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    "I call in on the caf
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: homework check

    Last year, I often found mushrooms in the forest. This year I don't know whether or not I can.

  14. #14
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Анкара
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    10
    call on means to visit somewhere or someone also in means ofshort-visit and whether or not=if
    'Whether' can not be used without 'or not' you can use 'IF' as an alternative conjuction if you don't use whether or not.

    I don't know whether I can find any mushrooms or not.

    Also:

    I don't know whether or not can I find any mushrooms.

    I don't know whether or not I can find any mushrooms.
    All tha same... all true
    Главное что есть ты у меня...

  15. #15
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Almaty (former Alma-Ata), Kazakhstan
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    10
    Okay, I'll quote my Collins English dictionary:

    1 If you call on someone to do something or call upon them to do it, you say publicly that you want them to do it.
    2 If you call on someone or call upon someone, you pay them a short visit.


    1 If you call someone in, you ask them to come and help you or do something for you.
    2 If you call in somewhere, you make a short visit there.

    Hopefully, now it's clear to everybody.
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

  16. #16
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Орчун
    call on means to visit somewhere or someone also in means ofshort-visit and whether or not=if
    'Whether' can not be used without 'or not' you can use 'IF' as an alternative conjuction if you don't use whether or not.

    I don't know whether I can find any mushrooms or not.

    Also:

    I don't know whether or not can I find any mushrooms.

    I don't know whether or not I can find any mushrooms.
    All tha same... all true

    First one is fine. Second one you can't say. The third is OK.

    The verb and subject can only usually be inverted in a question. These are all statments so "I" must come before "can".

    A few of us here are native English speakers, so don't go arguing with us.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  17. #17
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Анкара
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    10
    hell no i won't argue with you tho' I've been studying for many years cuz you're native speaker



    Safe
    Главное что есть ты у меня...

  18. #18
    Почтенный гражданин Spiderkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    504
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Орчун
    call on means to visit somewhere or someone also in means ofshort-visit and whether or not=if
    'Whether' can not be used without 'or not' you can use 'IF' as an alternative conjuction if you don't use whether or not.

    ...
    Are you sure about that?
    Where should I squeeze or not in these sentences?
    -she was uncertain whether to stay or leave
    -it seemed to me that she was in trouble whether he lived or died
    -whether it snows or rains I'm going out

    Also you don't add or not when a yes/no question is changed to a noun clause. Using whether here is 100% correct even if people use if more often in speaking.
    -I don't know whether/if she will come
    -I wonder whether/if he needs help
    De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum.

  19. #19
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    Are you sure about that?
    Where should I squeeze or not in these sentences?
    -she was uncertain whether to stay or leave
    -it seemed to me that she was in trouble whether he lived or died
    -whether it snows or rains I'm going out
    You can't put it into these sentances because there are more than one possibilities. You could say:

    - she was uncertain whether or not to stay. (because "or not" just implies "to leave")
    - it seemed to me that she was in trouble whether he lived or not (because if he doesn't live he obviously dies)
    - i'm going out whether it snows or not (sounds better this way but it's ok the other way too)

  20. #20
    Почтенный гражданин Spiderkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    504
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    You can't put it into these sentances because there are more than one possibilities. You could say:

    - she was uncertain whether or not to stay. (because "or not" just implies "to leave")
    - it seemed to me that she was in trouble whether he lived or not (because if he doesn't live he obviously dies)
    - i'm going out whether it snows or not (sounds better this way but it's ok the other way too)
    I was explaning something which you strenghtnened (thank you ) and then here you trying to do I don't know what with the examples I gave.
    Thus the meaning of my third example is completely different from yours. Whether it snows or rains... means no matter what the weather is... and whether it snows or not... simply means if it snows or if it doesn't snow...
    De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Homework Check
    By Volodymyr in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 14th, 2009, 11:42 PM
  2. Homework help!
    By strawberryfynch in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 11th, 2008, 04:57 AM
  3. Homework help
    By fortheether in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: November 26th, 2007, 03:30 PM
  4. Some homework help
    By paulb in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: August 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM
  5. Could someone check my homework for mistakes please? :D
    By Still Numb in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 14th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary