Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: English to Russian

Завсегдатай
    [quote=Chancellor Kremlin]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Оля":lvy4uu3d
    Автобусная остановка
    Why does it change? What does остановка mean?[/quote:lvy4uu3d]
    There's no explanation. We just use остановка for a bus. It means "a stop". Станция refers to the railway, and that's how it is.

But станция has also other meaning, for example "станция переливания крови" (blood transfusion post).
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Почтенный гражданин
    [quote=Chancellor Kremlin]
    [quote="Оля":23sg2fxu]Автобусная остановка[/quote]

Why does it change? What does остановка mean?
    [/quote:23sg2fxu]

Because 'bus' in 'bus station' is an ajective and adjectives ( in nominative case... ) end with -ая -ое -ый and like.
    [url="http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=ru&q=bus+bus+station+adjective"]http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=ru&q= ... +adjective[/url]
    Russian is tough, let’s go shopping!

Увлечённый спикер
    Hey,

I am reading about names and intimate forms of names, such as Наталья - Наташа, or Иван - Ваня and so on and was wondering. Is my name, Юрий, the intimate form of something else (and if yes then of what?) or is there an intimate form of Юрий?

Thanks.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Chancellor Kremlin
    Is my name, Юрий, the intimate form of something else (and if yes then of what?) or is there an intimate form of Юрий?
    Юрий is not an intimate form. The intimate form of Юрий is Юра (Yura).
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Увлечённый спикер
    [quote=Оля]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Chancellor Kremlin":359t40xt
    Is my name, Юрий, the intimate form of something else (and if yes then of what?) or is there an intimate form of Юрий?
    Юрий is not an intimate form. The intimate form of Юрий is Юра (Yura).[/quote:359t40xt]

Thanks. And out of curiosity, how popular or prevalent is the name Юрий in Russia?

Завсегдатай
    Thanks. And out of curiosity, how popular or prevalent is the name Юрий in Russia?
    It's modern and common.

Увлечённый спикер
    [quote=Оля]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Chancellor Kremlin":iw43kt8q
    It's modern and common.[/quote:iw43kt8q]

Thanks Оля!

Also, im doing a mock exam right now, and wanted to know if the following sentences are gramatically correct:

я знаю Антона - I know Anton

Он любит сестру - He loves (his) sister

У меня нет брата - I have no brother

Они живут в общежитие - They live in ____________ (what does общежитие mean?)

У него нет сесту - Don't know what that means. He has no sister? Is it correctly conjugated?

And are these correct:

У меня есть одна сестра и один брат ( I have one sister and one brother)

Моя сестра зовете Анна и мой брат зовете Том (My sister is called Anna and my brother is called Tom - How would you say ''My sisters name is Anna and my brothers name is Tom'' instead?)

Моя мать англичанка и мой папа немец (My mother is english (F) and my dad is german - are they conjugated correctly and how would I use ''father'' instead, отец?)

Она живете в Америке Он живете в Францие (She lives in America. He lives in France - I know they are probably conjugated incorrectly in the prepositional)

Я говорю чут-чут русскй а мне нет знаю немец - (I speak a little Russian but I don't know German).

спасибо!

Завсегдатай
    я знаю Антона - I know Anton correct

Он любит сестру - He loves (his) sister correct

У меня нет брата - I have no brother correct

Они живут в общежитии - They live in ____________ (what does общежитие mean? dormitory)

У него нет сестры - Don't know what that means. He has no sister? Is it correctly conjugated?

Thanks.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Thanks Оля!

Also, im doing a mock exam right now, and wanted to know if the following sentences are gramatically correct:

я знаю Антона - I know Anton

Он любит сестру - He loves (his) sister

У меня нет брата - I have no brother

Они живут в общежитие - They live in ____________ (what does общежитие mean?)

У него нет сестры - Don't know what that means. He has no sister? Is it correctly conjugated?

Thanks.
    Общежите - I think the right word is "hospice".
    something like apartments, but usually these apartments have one room per family. One kitchen and bathroom per 10 or may be 20 rooms (I do not know exactly - fortunately for me I have never lived in "общежитие")
    Please correct my English.

Увлечённый спикер
    Thanks guys!

I also have these:

And are these correct:

У меня есть одна сестра и один брат ( I have one sister and one brother)

Моя сестра зовете Анна и мой брат зовете Том (My sister is called Anna and my brother is called Tom - How would you say ''My sisters name is Anna and my brothers name is Tom'' instead?)

Моя мать англичанка и мой папа немец (My mother is english (F) and my dad is german - are they conjugated correctly and how would I use ''father'' instead, отец?)

Она живете в Америке Он живете в Францие (She lives in America. He lives in France - I know they are probably conjugated incorrectly in the prepositional)

Я говорю чут-чут русскй а мне нет знаю немец - (I speak a little Russian but I don't know German).

спасибо!

Завсегдатай
    У меня есть _ сестра и _ брат.

Мою сестру зовут Анна, а брата - Том.

Моя мать англичанка, а папа (or отец) немец.

Она живет_ в Америке. Он живет_ во Франции.

Я говорю чуть-чуть по-русски, но не говорю по-немецки (OR "а по-немецки не говорю")

Завсегдатай
    How would you say ''My sisters name is Anna and my brothers name is Tom'' instead?
    Имя моей сестры — Анна, а (имя) брата — Том.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    How would you say ''My sisters name is Anna and my brothers name is Tom'' instead?
    Имя моей сестры — Анна, а (имя) брата — Том.
    But it's not at all idiomatic, by the way.

Увлечённый спикер
    Once again, many thanks

Увлечённый спикер
    Hi dear russian friends.

One of the questions I am answering asks me to writte a short passage of about 150 words talking about myself. It must include:

- Personal Details; where I live, what I do, etc
    - Description of parents and what they do.
    - My hobbies, likes and dislikes, etc.
    - What I study.
    - Description of where I live, room, clothes, etc.
    - What you did yesterday.

Меня зовут Юрий и я бразилец. Я дебятнадцат лет и я студент. я изучаю политика в Ноттингхаме университет. я живу в (a student hall?) в Денвер улица в Ноттингхаме. Моя мама шеф-повар и мой папа економист Он работает в Лондоне. В моя (student hall), моя квартира нова и самомоднейша. У меня есть большая комната. У меня есть много (posters) на моя стены (on my walls). Мой столю его моя компютер и много книги на ем. (My desk has many books and my computer on it). я люблю слушать музыку, читать и смотреть телевизор. Я не люблю учиться, сдавать экзамены и перенапрягаться. Вчера я (mostly?) изучил.

It should read: My name is Yuri and I am brazilian. A am 19 years old and I am a student. I study politics at Nottingham University. I live in (a student hall) in Denver Road in Nottingham. My mother is a chef and my dad is an economist. He works in London. In my student hall, my flat is new and modern. I have a large room. I have many posters on my walls. My desk has my computer on it and many books. I like listening to music, reading and watching TV. I don't like studying, exams, and stress. Yesterday I mostly studied.

Also, how do I say:

- On Mondays, Tuesdays, wednesdays, etc (I know the names of the days, but how do I conjugate them for ''On''?)

- In my spare time I like to

Thanks.

Завсегдатай
    Меня зовут Юрий, и я бразилец. Мне девятнадцать лет, и я студент. Я изучаю политику в Ноттингемском университете (or "в университете Ноттингема"). Я живу в общежитии на Денвер-роуд в Ноттингеме. Моя мама - шеф-повар, а мой папа - экономист. Он работает в Лондоне. В общежитии у меня новая и современная квартира. У меня _ большая комната. У меня _ много постеров на стенах. На моем столе компьютер и много книг. Я люблю слушать музыку, читать и смотреть телевизор. Я не люблю учиться, сдавать экзамены и перенапрягаться. Вчера я в основном занимался (or почти весь день занимался).
    I'm not sure that "student hall" is общежитие, but I suppose it is.
    When "я" stands at the beginning of a sentence, it should be capitalized, of course.
    "Я изучаю политику" is not idiomatic and doesn't sound fine... We say "я учусь на *** факультете". (социологическом maybe?)

Also, how do I say:

- On Mondays, Tuesdays, wednesdays, etc (I know the names of the days, but how do I conjugate them for ''On''?)
    по понедельникам, по вторникам, по средам, по четвергам, по пятницам, по субботам, по воскресеньям

- In my spare time I like to
    в свободное время я люблю...

Старший оракул
    it is, it's British angliski
    Не откладывай на завтра того, с кем можешь переспать сегодня
    --------
    http://england-moscow.com/

Увлечённый спикер
    Once again, many thanks.

And again, more questions.

Why is it Ноттингемском university? The prepositional form of Nottingham in Russian is Ноттингемe. Is it because it is the instrumental form, as in ''I study politics by means of Nottingham university?''

Also, why is walls стенах and not стены?

Why are books - книг? Why not книги?

Thanks.

Увлечённый спикер
    Also, is this how you say ''I live on the second floor of a new and modern student hall'':

Я живу на второй этаж(e?) of a (how do you say that?) новая и современная общежитии.

Завсегдатай
    Once again, many thanks.

And again, more questions.

Why is it Ноттингемском university? The prepositional form of Nottingham in Russian is Ноттингемe. Is it because it is the instrumental form, as in ''I study politics by means of Nottingham university?''

Thanks.
    Strange questions. Seems like you never learnt basic Russian grammar.

In Russian, if you say two nouns together, it doesn't change the first one into an adjective. It just sounds incorrect and doesn't make sense. An adjective in Russian should have a form of an adjective. For example, "автобус" is a noun, and "автобусный" is an adjective. "Автобус" can't be an adjective.
    "Автобус остановка" doesn't make sense. It should be "автобусная остановка".

So, you can say either "университет Ноттингема" or "Ноттингемский университет".
    The prepositional form of Nottingham has nothing to do with your sentence because you say you study at the university of Nottingham, so it's the university (and the adjective Ноттингемский) what should be in the prepositional case, not the city where you study. Of course, you can also say "Я учусь/живу в Ноттингеме".

Because Russian language use cases...
    - What? - Стены.
    - Where? - На стенах.
    "Where" requires a prepositional case.

Потому что их много.
    Много (a lot OF...) requires a genitive case.

Я живу на втором этаже of a (how do you say that?) нового и современного общежития
    To translate the English "of" you usually need a genitive case.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast