Thread: Difficult Translation

Difficult Translation

Big sentence and difficult meaning

- С нашей стороны было подчеркнуто, что Киев с самого начала должен был показывать готовность к их реализации, после чего это стимулировало бы, может быть, соответствующие движения и на юго-востоке, а так как сразу практически итоги Женевы были в штыки восприняты в Киеве, были даны соответствующие разъяснения, которые не соответствовали тому, что обсуждалось, то это привело к такой ситуации, которую мы сегодня имеем, - приводятся слова помощника российского президента Юрия Ушакова на сайте Кремля.

Possible Translation:
    From our side it was underlined / stressed that Kiev from the whole beginning had to show determination to the realization (of the Treadies in Geneva), after ??? (where чего refers?) it has been stimulated (?), that perhaps, the corresponding actions in the south-east, and since immediately practically the results (?) of Geneva were ??? in Kieve, were given corresponding clarifications, that do not correspond to that, that it was discussed, that ??? ...
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio1986 View Post
    From our side it was underlined / stressed that Kiev from the whole beginning had to show determination for the realization (of the Treadies in Geneva), after ??? (where чего refers realization) it could stimulate, perhaps, the corresponding actions in the south-east, but since Kiev, as a matter of fact, has not agreed with Geneva outcome: were given corresponding clarifications (by Kiev), wich do not correspond to the discussed issues. All of that have lead us to such situation wich we currently have.
    Sorry, my English is quite bad, but I tried to do my best.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Почтенный гражданин
    "воспринять что-либо в штыки" — "to give a hostile reception" (I guess my translation is not a proper English, though. I don't know what a verb should be used here.)

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil77 View Post
    Sorry, my English is quite bad, but I tried to do my best.
    Надо сказать, язык "помощника российского президента Юрия Ушакова" тоже далёк от совершенства. За такие многоэтажные конструкции нужно наказывать.

- С нашей стороны было подчеркнуто, что Киев с самого начала должен был показывать готовность к их реализации, после чего это стимулировало бы, может быть, соответствующие движения и на юго-востоке, а так как сразу практически итоги Женевы были в штыки восприняты в Киеве, были даны соответствующие разъяснения, которые не соответствовали тому, что обсуждалось, то это привело к такой ситуации, которую мы сегодня имеем, - приводятся слова помощника российского президента Юрия Ушакова на сайте Кремля.
    Here's my take on it:

"From our side, we stressed that Kiev from the very beginning had to demonstrate the readiness for their implementation. Probably, after that [readiness] it [implementation] could stimulate those movements in the Eastern-Southern part [of Ukraine]. But virtually since the onset the outcome of Geneva [negotiations] met strong resitance in Kiev, the [involved parties were provided with the] corresponding directions which were not in line with what was discussed [in Geneva]. As a result, that lead to the situation we have at hand." Those were the words, published on the Kremlin website, of Yuri Ushakov, an aide of the Russian President.

Who would understand those guys?
    They cannot speak simply.
    My attempt:

1st part
    From our side it was underlined / stressed that Kiev from the whole beginning had to show determination to the realization (of the Treadies in Geneva)
    This is correct.

Чего refers to "showing determination".
    Ushakov says:
    1. Kiev had to show...
    2. 1) would induce corresponding processes in the South East.

2nd part
    Lingvo says "воспринимать в штыки" = up in arms
    So, а так как сразу практически итоги Женевы были в штыки восприняты в Киеве could mean:
    Because Kiev authorities had not approved of the results of Geneva summit from the start

были даны соответствующие разъяснения, которые не соответствовали тому, что обсуждалось
    ???
    May be: The conclusions they made did not correspond to the ones that could be expected from the discussion.

3rd part
    то это привело к такой ситуации, которую мы сегодня имеем
    It resulted in the situation we have today
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

I am glad that you all found it difficult to provide a translation.
    Especially the: а так как сразу практически итоги Женевы были в штыки восприняты в Киеве
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

I am glad that you all found it difficult to provide a translation.
    Especially the: а так как сразу практически итоги Женевы были в штыки восприняты в Киеве
    As it was already mentioned above, "воспринять в штыки" или "встретить в штыки" is an idiom. It means something like "to give a hostile response". Also your sentence is really difficult to translate because it's not a proper Russian language. The sentence is really a monstrosity. Just some bureaucrat tries to seem smart and important guy.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Big sentence and difficult meaning

Possible Translation:
    From our side it was underlined / stressed that Kiev from the whole beginning had to show determination to the realization (of the Treadies in Geneva), after ??? (where чего refers?) it has been stimulated (?), that perhaps, the corresponding actions in the south-east, and since immediately practically the results (?) of Geneva were ??? in Kieve, were given corresponding clarifications, that do not correspond to that, that it was discussed, that ??? ...
    Тебя, как и многих не носителей языка, сбивают с толку так называемые "устойчивые обороты", "фразеологизмы".
    (Can check some examples here Фразеологизм — Википедия)

после чего = literally "after that". Do not split "после" & "чего", that`s a stable expression. Also may mean "then", "thus" and so on.

итоги = "results", "outcome".
    Btw, is often used as the name of political shows in Russia (federal or local)
    Attachment 985

в штыки восприняты = to be denied, disagreed (literally "your bayonett is against my offer)
    Is often used to show that someone is offended.

gf: поедем в эти выходные за покупками!
    bf: нет, в эти выходные я...
    gf: Ты всякое предложение воспринимаешь в штыки!

даны - plural, past from "дать" (explanations were given)

то это привело - that will (would) lead to...