Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Is this correct?

  1. #1
    Почётный участник emeraldeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    7

    Is this correct?

    Spokóynoy nóchi my-ah sladkaya

    Is this correct way of saying "good night sweetie?"

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Is this correct?

    Well, yes (if you're writing to the girl).
    But I'd use "moya" instead of "my-ah". The latter looks rather unusual.

  3. #3
    Почётный участник emeraldeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is this correct?

    i want to write to my guy friend. So then um ... what is the masculine form?

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldeyez
    i want to write to my guy friend. So then um ... what is the masculine form?
    Spokóynoy nóchi moy sladkiy
    Спокойной ночи, мой сладкий

    Just note that "сладкий" is rather intimate. It's perfect if you are writing to your BF, and if you are close enough friends it's ok too.

  5. #5
    Почётный участник emeraldeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldeyez
    i want to write to my guy friend. So then um ... what is the masculine form?
    Spokóynoy nóchi moy sladkiy
    Спокойной ночи, мой сладкий

    Just note that "сладкий" is rather intimate. It's perfect if you are writing to your BF, and if you are close enough friends it's ok too.

    thank you so much!

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldeyez
    Spokóynoy nóchi my-ah sladkaya

    Is this correct way of saying "good night sweetie?"
    This is not correct way of saying that. For example, we pronounce "spakóyn[schwa]y".
    It's not correct way of writing that as well.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    This is not correct way of saying that. For example, we pronounce "spakóyn[schwa]y".
    It's not correct way of writing that as well.
    Olya, stop nitpicking.
    emeraldeyez writes a text (смс-ку) to her friend. She does NOT write a pronunciation guide (nobody writes transcriptions in a text anyway) , and she obviously can't use Cyrillic.
    The text should be readable and grammatically correct, that's all.

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mowcow, Russia
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Is this correct?

    I would drop "my sladkiy", seeing that you want to stay on a "just friends" basis with your friend.
    As far as spelling is concerned, the only correct way to spell "good night" in Russian is "спокойной ночи." Since using cyrillic letters is not an option, I suggest that you type "Spokoynoy nochi." Accent marks are not really needed: I guess your friends just used them to show you where the stress is, so it would be easier for you to read the words.

  9. #9
    Почётный участник emeraldeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    This is not correct way of saying that. For example, we pronounce "spakóyn[schwa]y".
    It's not correct way of writing that as well.
    Olya, stop nitpicking.
    emeraldeyez writes a text (смс-ку) to her friend. She does NOT write a pronunciation guide (nobody writes transcriptions in a text anyway) , and she obviously can't use Cyrillic.
    The text should be readable and grammatically correct, that's all.

    Thank you gRomoZeka!

    Um ... I am not sure what Оля is saying ... but over time I am sure I will.

  10. #10
    Почётный участник emeraldeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by translationsnmru
    I would drop "my sladkiy", seeing that you want to stay on a "just friends" basis with your friend.
    As far as spelling is concerned, the only correct way to spell "good night" in Russian is "спокойной ночи." Since using cyrillic letters is not an option, I suggest that you type "Spokoynoy nochi." Accent marks are not really needed: I guess your friends just used them to show you where the stress is, so it would be easier for you to read the words.

    Hehee ... I would BUT ... I use sweetie, honey, baby, doll, etc ... with all of mu friends. They know me by my little pet type sayings. I know dumb. But meh ... it is me.

  11. #11
    Почётный участник emeraldeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is this correct?

    On a side note ... he wrote back saying he wasn't sweet. He was bitter. Hahaa ... I am like Nyet! Nyet! Nyet!!!!!

  12. #12
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    653
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldeyez
    On a side note ... he wrote back saying he wasn't sweet. He was bitter. Hahaa ... I am like Nyet! Nyet! Nyet!!!!!
    On occasion I'm told that Russians use “sladky” to mean gay. His note back to you might be prompted by a bit of humor in regard to that word.

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Olya, stop nitpicking.
    emeraldeyez writes a text (смс-ку) to her friend. She does NOT write a pronunciation guide (nobody writes transcriptions in a text anyway) , and she obviously can't use Cyrillic.
    The text should be readable and grammatically correct, that's all.
    How would you know that it was an sms?....

    Anyway, someone else could read this thread, and that is NOT the correct way of saying or writing it in proper Russian! In sms it is acceptable.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  14. #14
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    How would you know that it was an sms?....
    It was discussed in her previous topic.

  15. #15
    Почётный участник emeraldeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Olya, stop nitpicking.
    emeraldeyez writes a text (смс-ку) to her friend. She does NOT write a pronunciation guide (nobody writes transcriptions in a text anyway) , and she obviously can't use Cyrillic.
    The text should be readable and grammatically correct, that's all.
    How would you know that it was an sms?....

    Anyway, someone else could read this thread, and that is NOT the correct way of saying or writing it in proper Russian! In sms it is acceptable.

    Sorry ... most everyone that has been helping knows from previous HELPs I have asked for knows that my correspondence is all in txt messages via cell phone.

  16. #16
    Почётный участник emeraldeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by doninphxaz
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldeyez
    On a side note ... he wrote back saying he wasn't sweet. He was bitter. Hahaa ... I am like Nyet! Nyet! Nyet!!!!!
    On occasion I'm told that Russians use “sladky” to mean gay. His note back to you might be prompted by a bit of humor in regard to that word.
    Hehee ... He did not say to me. What he did say was that he thought the gesture sweet. LOL Men ....

  17. #17
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by doninphxaz
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldeyez
    On a side note ... he wrote back saying he wasn't sweet. He was bitter. Hahaa ... I am like Nyet! Nyet! Nyet!!!!!
    On occasion I'm told that Russians use “sladky” to mean gay. His note back to you might be prompted by a bit of humor in regard to that word.
    Only if one male calls another one “sladky”, that can be construed as a gay reference. Otherwise it's a term of endearment and it is normally avoided by people of opposite sex who'd like to stay "just friends". Emeraldeyez, don't lead him on

  18. #18
    Почётный участник emeraldeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pcloadletter
    Quote Originally Posted by doninphxaz
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldeyez
    On a side note ... he wrote back saying he wasn't sweet. He was bitter. Hahaa ... I am like Nyet! Nyet! Nyet!!!!!
    On occasion I'm told that Russians use “sladky” to mean gay. His note back to you might be prompted by a bit of humor in regard to that word.
    Only if one male calls another one “sladky”, that can be construed as a gay reference. Otherwise it's a term of endearment and it is normally avoided by people of opposite sex who'd like to stay "just friends". Emeraldeyez, don't lead him on

    I won't. Even if I wanted him in that way ... I somehow doubt he would be interested. LOL BUT he knew where I was coming from thankfully.

  19. #19
    Почтенный гражданин studyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Бауманская, Москва Skype - alr0lbxrl
    Posts
    384
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldeyez
    ... I use sweetie, honey, baby, doll, etc ... with all of mu friends.
    Kroshka, dushka, kiska, rybka, simpomponchik, etc
    P.S. Банька моя, я твой тазик...

  20. #20
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    653
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pcloadletter
    Only if one male calls another one “sladky”, that can be construed as a gay reference.
    I don't quite buy that. A Russian teacher I work with recently refered to one of my students as сладкий in the sense of “gay.” It's not just among gay people that the term is used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is this correct?
    By Ramil in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: September 1st, 2006, 07:02 PM
  2. Is this correct?
    By robinho in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 3rd, 2006, 01:39 AM
  3. is this correct?
    By Орчун in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: December 27th, 2005, 10:08 PM
  4. Correct или нет?
    By DDT in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: June 17th, 2005, 10:22 PM
  5. which one is correct ?
    By Johnroman in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 31st, 1969, 11:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary