Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: writing a book, and need some help with translations

Увлечённый спикер

Re: writing a book, and need some help with translations

I found Moriz in a list of Russian male first names on the internet as a Russian version of the English name Morris, Spanish Mauricio, French Maurice, meaning Moorish or a dark haired man

I hope someone tells me when a complete translation that is the best is made. Since you are all conversing in Russian and I don't speak it at all, I would be a poor judge of the best translation.

Also...Lampada, did you want me to look at the grammar on part 7 of that post you showed me, or all parts of that post?

Thank You

Завсегдатай

Морис Тарасов sounds very strange and odd. You would hardly find any Russian whose name is Морис. The name is not Russian and not common in Russia at all. Take the name Ivan.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless
    I found Moriz in a list of Russian male first names on the internet as a Russian version of the English name Morris, Spanish Mauricio, French Maurice, meaning Moorish or a dark haired man
    Than it should be Maurice, I think, because of the French communist Maurice Thorez. You see, Cyrillic transliteration can be different. Now it is OK. This name is rare but possible.

I hope someone tells me when a complete translation that is the best is made. Since you are all conversing in Russian and I don't speak it at all, I would be a poor judge of the best translation.
    Take the last one (mine), because I have taken into account previous translation and composed final version from the most successfull parts of both. I am not going to make more changes until someone point out more bugs. Well... You can wait a couple of days and then take a text from that post.
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16558#p203813

I'll check the topic regularly and modify the text if there are more complaints and\or advices.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Старший оракул

What if the invitation to BBQ was with BYOB?
    Simpsons on my mind.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo
    This name is rare but possible.
    Possible for someone who is not Russian but whose roots are in Russia (so he has a Russian surname).
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

[quote=Оля]
    Quote Originally Posted by "it-ogo":qeln0g37
    This name is rare but possible.
    Possible for someone who is not Russian but whose roots are in Russia (so he has a Russian surname).[/quote:qeln0g37]

There was a period (even several periods) in USSR when it was a fashion to give children foreign names. So the combination of "Maurice Tarasov" is virtually possible for USSR and even can be flavorful mark of time. Though I am not sure about timing: maybe one can calculate when Maurice Thorez gained publicity in USSR and how old should be "Maurice Tarasov" at the time of Apollo 13?

Завсегдатай

I, personally, never met anyone with such name. More over, I can't recall anyone of well-known people who has it. And more over, even if there is virtual possiblity of existing someone with this name in Russia, he should be a very unlucky man because the combination "Морис Тарасов" sounds quite ugly.
    I know, for example, there is a physicist Жорес Алферов, but first, he must be the only one in the whole Russia who bears this name and second, he's a well-known person, and if you hear some strange and ugly name quite often, it becomes less strange and ugly, and ultimately you just become used to it.

I personally find nothing phonetically disgusting in "Maurice Tarasov". Maybe it is a bit funny, nothing more. Jaurès Alferov is really ugly, I do agree. But let us remember some names of well known persons of that generation: Robert Rozhdestvenskij, Bella Akhmadulina, Roy Medvedev(=swarm of bears if translated to English literally), Rem Vjakhirev, German Titov... These ones I was able to recall right now. Each of them (but Akhmadulina ) is pure Russian AFAIK. Aren`t their names ugly?

I don't say that fashion was nice...

Завсегдатай

But let us remember some names of well known persons of that generation: Robert Rozhdestvenskij, Bella Akhmadulina, Roy Medvedev, Rem Vjakhirev, German Titov... These ones I was able to recall right now.
    Please read carefully what I wrote above:

but ... he's a well-known person, and if you hear some strange and ugly name quite often, it becomes less strange and ugly, and ultimately you just become used to it.
    The names you mentioned are not "ugly", now they are just habitual for us.

Please read carefully what I wrote above:

but ... he's a well-known person, and if you hear some strange and ugly name quite often, it becomes less strange and ugly, and ultimately you just become used to it.
    Err... But those persons were not well-known when they got their names. Were they? My point was not about "now" but about that time. I say: "Maurice Tarasov" for Russian USSR-born guy of that time may be historically correct and even flavorful, that's all.

Завсегдатай

By the way, the Russian equivalent for all these names is Маврикий. It is outdated though and is not used nowadays. As for Морис (Moris, not Moriz!), it's just a transliteration for the French name Maurice.

But those persons were not well-known when they got their names.
    Sure. I bet you'd choke over if you were listening to some new radio station and suddenly would hear "...и с вами Рой Медведев / Морис Тарасов".
    Or, in the second case, you would just think it's Boris, not Moris.

Увлечённый спикер

ah... well Morris, the English version is very rare in the US. I know of no famous American with this name. I have met only two Morris in my lifetime, besides my grandfather, whom I am named for. Kahless? That is just a name after a Klingon from Star Trek

ah... well Morris, the English version is very rare in the US. I know of no famous American with this name.
    You forget Morris the Cat
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Увлечённый спикер

I'll tell you what, How about you guys give me some good Russian men's first names that would be Ok, and I will choose the one I like best, if I haven't already used it.
    Thank You

I'll tell you what, How about you guys give me some good Russian men's first names that would be Ok, and I will choose the one I like best, if I haven't already used it.
    Thank You
    OK. Here are some most ordinary Russian names with no risk. Oleg, Sergey, Vladimir, Boris, Aleksey, Aleksandr, Dmitry, Yury, Nikolaj, Ilja, Gennady, Anton, Artjom, Eugeny, Igor, Pavel...

Moriz Tarasov sounds nice.
    It's not a Russian name, but in this context it adds some charm.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Увлечённый спикер

Dmitry, Sergey, Yury, Vladimir, Aleksey, Pavels, Boris, Aleksandr, and Nikolaj I have already used. Is Pavel or Pavels correct?
    Eugeny is the Russian version of Eugene, which is the first name of the American commander.

I like Ilya, but as I add more names in book two, (sequel has already been started) I will remember the others.

So... Let's change Moris to Ilya.

Thank You again.

Is Pavel or Pavels correct?
    Pavel is correct. (=Paul)

Eugeny is the Russian version of Eugene
    Actually, "Eugeny" is Eugene-like adaptation of this name. Correct phonetic transliteration is "Jevgenij" - maybe it is more exotic.

So... Let's change Moris to Ilya.
    Translation is updated (the second one).
    English analog of Ilya is Elijah.

BTW hadn't you problems with Russian patronic names? It is enough complicated matter to recognize when they should be used and when should not.

Увлечённый спикер

no I have a list of patronic names and I think I understand the difference between Petr and Petrovich, and feminizing like converting Ivanov to Ivanova, etc...

To ЯНА ШЕСТОПАЛОВА, who are you wanting to speak with and what about?

Thanx (I know it is misspelled, done so on purpose, sort of and internet style thing with me) for the translation update

I will work some more on the translation of page 10 that I was originally asked to look at by Lampada. I have only one hour of computer time a day for writing and such, I do it on lunch break at work. I commute 2 hours a day to work so my time is short.

Увлечённый спикер

Ok, last question on this. Keep in mind this is July 16, 1970.
    What would be a good song to open up Radio free Luna's first program. Keep in mind this is the classical and Russian folk Music segment of the show, the morning show. What I want to know is, what would a Russian solider in the Soviet Army in 1970 want to listen to?

The part should say something like this...

Now we will play music as we promised. (Introduce the song and who plays or sings it, and let me know what you are saying in English)

Thanx

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast