View Poll Results: If Barmaley were to study abroad, which city would you recommend?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kazan

2 7.69%
  • Irkutsk

1 3.85%
  • Novosibirsk

5 19.23%
  • Vladivostok

0 0%
  • Sochi

2 7.69%
  • Kaliningrad

2 7.69%
  • Ufa

2 7.69%
  • Chelyabinsk

0 0%
  • Yekaterinburg

2 7.69%
  • Krasnokamensk, to visit MKh and get radiation exposure

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

3 11.54%
  • Don't go to Russia at all, since the free-range bears on the street will eat you.

7 26.92%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where should I be exiled?

Завсегдатай
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant

Where should I be exiled?

OK, so I'd like to go abroad again, but to somewhere other than StPb (loved it but want something different) and Moscow (eh, didn't like it so much). I'm short on details and at this point am just trying to get ideas, but can anyone suggest a good place to go -- something different... Obviously, I don't want StPb or Moscow, so please don't say those. I'm just looking at cities right now, but if you have some first-hand knowledge of a program, then by all means share.
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

Завсегдатай
    alma ata
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Завсегдатай
    А можно учиться в Якутске? Туда и переехал бы я на твоем месте...

Завсегдатай
    Yakutsk sounds cool, but I think the climate is scary if I were to do it for a prolonged period of time? And why Alma Alta? And I want to know who said Ufa, and why?

Завсегдатай
    dude just go. Honestly, i would say yekaterinburg.

Its the 3rd largest city in russia. Its right at the base of the mountians which = beautiful winters and even more beautiful summers. Its right on the divide of asia and europe, so u can check out the eastern part of western russia "Perm, ufa, kazan, nizhni novgorod..." etc without going too far. You can go to central asia to the south (Kazakstan, chelyabinck, qustanay, astana...) and its a short train ride to siberia.

After my first initian trip to russia, which, will of course be to moscow. Im definately going to Yekaterinburg. Its a great city.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

I heard Norilsk is a perfect place to study! Go there, they love foreigners there!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Властелин
    wherever you go in Russia except Msk and SPb, it will be a very new experience for you, because all the other places are very very different from these two cities.

Старший оракул
    Btw, what are you going to study? You can move e.g. to the Nizhny Novgorod. It is the large city on the Volga 450 km from Moscow with the big number of universities, including The Linguistic University and The State University.
    Could you please occasionally correct my stupid errors!
    Korrigiert bitte ab und zu meine dummen Fehler!

I voted for Novosibirsk. A big university town, so it will have culture and things to do. Chelyabinsk - too much radiation down there, avoid it. Kazan is nice I think, I have seen pictures. Isn't that where Lomonosov went? Also Baudouin de Courtenay a very famous linguist taught at the university there in the 1800s.

Go to skyscrapercity http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=439 and look around at the pix.

I haven't been to those cities, but I have been to Saratov. A nice one-million or so pop. on the Volga. I would go again.

I voted for Novosibirsk. A big university town, so it will have culture and things to do. Chelyabinsk - too much radiation down there, avoid it. Kazan is nice I think, I have seen pictures. Isn't that where Lomonosov went. Also Bodouing de Courtenay a very famous Russian linguist taught at the university there. Go to skyscrapercity http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=439 and look around at the cities.

I haven't been to those cities, but I have been to Saratov. A nice one-million or so pop. on the Volga. I would go again.

Завсегдатай
    A few comments:
    -Nizhny: I've been there, and frankly, I wasn't that impressed. It certainly wasn't a bad experience, but I don't think I want to spend any great length of time there?

-Yekaterinburg has some real plusses like you said. I hadn't thought about it like that. Hmm....plus bonus points for having a consulate there. Any negatives about that one you can come up with guys?

-Novosibirsk also sounded intriguing, but it seems a bit far flung as well. I don't know -- I think if I wanted to be "brave" I'd go with that one. You've got a point about the university though. Hmm...

-Norilsk. Haha. You are such a comedian KV. I'll be sure to bring you some Nickel if I go. Which is to say, you'll not be getting any metal from me.

Thanks for the suggestions and input -- keep it coming, it's really helpful!

If you don't like Norilsk, try the famous Хатанга! They have an excellent study program there! If you really want to experience Siberia, this is the place!

5 out of 5 Khatangans recommend it!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    Yekaterinburg has some real plusses like you said. I hadn't thought about it like that. Hmm....plus bonus points for having a consulate there. Any negatives about that one you can come up with guys?
    Well, the first question that visitors ask, is "Where are the Ural mountains???"

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra
    Yekaterinburg has some real plusses like you said. I hadn't thought about it like that. Hmm....plus bonus points for having a consulate there. Any negatives about that one you can come up with guys?
    Well, the first question that visitors ask, is "Where are the Ural mountains???"
    Duh. Because that's where all the dancing bears relax on the weekend.

Властелин
    See, the guests of our city are often sure that Ekb is surrounded by high and gloomy Ural mountains.

Почтенный гражданин
    This is off the normal path...
    ...but I like Uglich a lot. Nice people, nice city.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    Uglich is one of the ring cities, right?

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    Uglich is one of the ring cities, right?
    Yep, on the Volga, in the Yaroslavl Oblast.

Nice city, with lots of history. And a few hours bus ride from Moscow. It does cater to the tourist river boats that pass by during the warm months, but other than that it's a good place to "cool your heels" for awhile.

I also like Ярославле (Yaroslavl), of course. If you're wanting formal study or tutoring, Yaroslavl would probably be better than Uglich. You might check into one of the volunteer situations that exist there, or elsewhere. Might help defray costs.

BTW, I voted to stay away, because of the free-range bears.

Let me know when you think you'll be going. We might meet up on the road somewhere.

Someone suggested Kaliningrad. Why?
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    Someone suggested Kaliningrad. Why?
    Y'know Charlestonian... I can't keep up with your changing avatars!

And no, I don't know why Kaliningrad was a choice. I've never been there, so I can't comment. But I remember we had a thread a month or so ago, from someone who was trying to navigate the necessary documents and red-tape to fly into Kaliningrad and then travel to Moscow for a visit?? She was having to cross thru Lithuania and Belarus??

Anyway, I think Бармалей wanted someplace very different from Petersburg or Moscow.

Personally, I'd pick one of the rural, less-traveled cities, find a good tutor for study, and sit out the winter months with the locals.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast