Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Russian thema in western movies. Dumb and dumber?

Новичок

Exceptions of the rule

Still, here is what the veteran crew had to say about K-19 (from imdb)

Upon reading the film's script, the surviving crewmembers were so incensed that they sent an open letter to Ford, Bigelow, Whitaker, and Jaffe, expressing their dismay. Among the less-than-credible details they objected to were profane language, the animosity between the two highest commanding officers, insubordination among the crew, drunk crewmembers, the attempted mutiny, the guns (which are kept under seal in a secret location), and the handcuffs (which were only used by and available to cops).

Right, "Enemy at the Gates" is not openly anti-Russian. I would call it the exception that confirms the rule. The movie is not for my taste, but that's a different story.

To avoid any further nitpicking, let me say it this way: The overhelming majority of Hollywood movies that show Russians, show them in bad light. Most of the Russian (not Soviet) movies that show Americans, show them in good light. There are exceptions on both sides and I wouldn't blame the Ruskies if they tried to catch up and get even.

Почтенный гражданин

Re: Exceptions of the rule

Quote Originally Posted by stef49
    Upon reading the film's script, the surviving crewmembers were so incensed that they sent an open letter to Ford, Bigelow, Whitaker, and Jaffe, expressing their dismay. Among the less-than-credible details they objected to were profane language, the animosity between the two highest commanding officers, insubordination among the crew, drunk crewmembers, the attempted mutiny, the guns (which are kept under seal in a secret location), and the handcuffs (which were only used by and available to cops).[/i]
    Well, half of the truth is a LIE! Yes, there script was shown to Russian veterans, they critisesed it heavenly, all critic was carefully checked and the script was re-written. Russian veterans were invited as consultants for the movie.

Any Russian movies about american army which did it? Please, name it!

And modern Russian movies... well, I do watch them sometimes. Americans there quite often are just stupid idiots. That's what I saw personally.
    DO NOT READ MY SIGNATURE!

Почтенный гражданин
    This is our indelible disgrace. The movie is so bad that you don't even understand. Mikhalkov have shooted this film to get "Oscar" and acknowledgement of Western world. If you want to show his really good movies see his former films: "Раба любви", "Свой среди чужих, чужой среди своих", "Неоконченная пьеса для механического пианино". They are perfect.
    the older, the better, right?

i haven't seen raba liuvi but burnt by the sun is just as good as cvoi sredi tchujih (a soviet spaghetti western if you get my drift) and far better than the piano thing (which is far too long and boring).

of course, urga is da best
    my apartment in paris : http://vacation-paris-apartment.com/

Новичок

Quote Originally Posted by Pioner
    Well, half of the truth is a LIE!
    That half was on imdb. There was no other. I may have to watch the movie myself to figure out what changed and how much. But the original take is interesting in itself.

For the record, I also reject most Hollywood movies about American life and values. Is Hollywood anti-Russian? Yes. Is it anti-American? Almost as much, although in a different and more subtle way.

Take it easy.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by stef49
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioner
    Well, half of the truth is a LIE!
    That half was on imdb. There was no other. I may have to watch the movie myself to figure out what changed and how much. But the original take is interesting in itself.

For the record, I also reject most Hollywood movies about American life and values. Is Hollywood anti-Russian? Yes. Is it anti-American? Almost as much, although in a different and more subtle way.

Take it easy.
    May I ask you a question? What movie-producing factories you take for realty? Indian ones?

BTW, another name of Hollywood is "Dream Factory". That all is about dreams, so, really, take it easy.

You still did not reply, what Russian movie where american army participate you can call where Americans showed as humans, with real life style etc.?

FL
    Почтенный гражданин
    All soviet films which I can remember are decent.

"Рейс 222»
    «ТАСС уполномочен заявить»
    «Перехват»
    «Нейтральные воды»
    «Одиночное плавание»
    «Досье человека в «мерседесе»»
    «Бой после победы»
    "17 мгновений весны"
    и т.д.

Guaranteed for there are not people who looks like cannibals and no one (Soviet or American) kills enemies in mass quantities.

Can you remember any Soviet-made movie, where lonely super-hero slays americans by dozens (a-la Rambo III) ?
    Nope. There were no such ones.
    Кр. -- сестр. тал.

Почтенный гражданин
    Now for a real twist...for Russians...

Imagine the following...THIS IS PURELY A HYPOTHESIS!

What if Hollywood produces a movie of Omon Ra???
    (None of this is meant to be disrespectful of Pelevin...it is only a hypothesis for discussion as a "what if?".

Viktor Pelevin decides he wants to make a movie of Omon Ra (on my "best books" list...and I discovered Pelevin because of several Russian friends in Moscow...NOT from America). On a side-note, in America, Pelevin is a very respected writer.

He cannot find support in Russia, so he travels to America. Hollywood agrees to make the movie. But Pelevin agrees only if he has complete artistic control. He controls the making of the movie. He returns to Russia, uses only Russian actors, and films all in Russia. And he makes it accurate to his book. He is happy with the finished movie, and believes it is an accurate rendering ot the book, and his satire.

It becomes a hit in America, and receives an Academy Award. Pelevin has not "sold out" to Hollywood, and the movie is true to the book.

What are your thoughts now? The movie is definitely "Russian", from Pelevin's view and satire. Do not consider whether it "can happen"...ASSUME IT HAS HAPPENED...what do you think?

Would you be angry? Indifferent? Disgusted? Angry with Pelevin? Angry with Hollywood for giving him the money? Or, would you be happy? Proud?

FL
    Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio
    Can you remember any Soviet-made movie, where lonely super-hero slays americans by dozens (a-la Rambo III) ?
    Nope. There were no such ones.
    Can you remember any Soviet movie, where someone Soviet kills anyone American at all?

The only one case (with great reserve): American insurgents against American government from "Одиночное плавание" (but they are terrorists who have killed American citizens and have seized missiles to provoke to global war).

Подающий надежды оратор
    Gee! Guys, I can't believe the discussion has gone that far. Fantomaks, what's your point? Hollywood is a factory (well, ok, dream factory) not an artist's studio. Does it ring a bell?
    Maybe you shouldn't take it so personal and try to watch some really decent movies. I mean, you always more or less aware what kind of movie you're going to see. Just skip the rubbish and quit whining.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Anna
    Red Dawn?

"It is the dawn of World War III. In mid-western America, a group of teenagers bands together to defend their town, and their country, from invading Soviet forces" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/

Did you read the user comment on that movie? Whats with the Finns? They banned that movie by the looks of things and a whole bunch more including an Abbott and Costello movie.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    Huh Uh DDT, I did not catch any of that.
    The Finns banned the movie?
    I rather got the impression that the Finns had underlying "issues" with Russia judging by the way the "Finn" in Cuckoo was portrayed as so educated and the "Russian" so bumbling. (no offense our precious Vinnie!).

Red Dawn, although inaccurrate in their portrayal of Russians as anywhere near as "world" psychotic as German Nazis, did portray them as absolutely brilliant and advanced--and that was my point.

The website was my bad for clicking on the first hit. I "think" is was IMBD?

Take Care, I am typing maybe 2 wpm on this shitty keyboard because I messed up something when I moved the pc this last time----dead mouse too! arrrrrrgh!

OH!@
    I just watched russian "House of Fools" and LOVED IT all the way through. It was good because the subtitles and the language (or what little I "know" so far) matched up all the way through. I would reccommend this to a beginner.
    It is Winter and Very Cold.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    The reason I said that it was banned if Finland is because when I clicked on the link you provided I saw where it gives the ratings for different countries. It appears to me that it was banned because it says "Finland Banned" there. Am I wrong?
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    MAYBE THE SITE BANNED FINLAND!? :O
    OMG! PWNED!
    I come to represent and carve my name within your chest.

Почтенный гражданин
    Trigger, your a trip!

your right DDT,

I am curious what the punishment is.
    It is Winter and Very Cold.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    What if Hollywood produces a movie of Omon Ra???
    (None of this is meant to be disrespectful of Pelevin...it is only a hypothesis for discussion as a "what if?".
    Great idea, impossible although. And you are right, people in Russia would be very pissed.

Off-topic - that would be great if Strugatskies' "Picknic" was filmed, close to book with Hollywood special effects, I believe that would be a great movie. But Hollywood totally screwed up with "Solaris", although I believe that Tsarkovskiy Solaries was horrible as well.

Завсегдатай
    Personally I didn't like "Solaris" as the book, but as far as I remember the Hollywood film was not that bad.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Почтенный гражданин
    Hollywood version Solyaris.....my hair rises...huhuhuhuhhuhuh

Original version is a great work of art
    Листьев не обожгло, Веток не обломало
    День промыт как стекло, только этого мало

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhenya
    Hollywood version Solyaris.....my hair rises...huhuhuhuhhuhuh

Original version is a great work of art

My opinion, also.

BTW, Zhenya, I like your avatar.

Почтенный гражданин
    BTW, Zhenya, I like your avatar
    me to

Good to know there's some sanity left in the world!
    Листьев не обожгло, Веток не обломало
    День промыт как стекло, только этого мало

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast