Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about education and superconductivity

Re: Question about education and superconductivity

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    So now just out of curiosity, Waterlaz, it-ogo and Croc… are you three scientist folks for your day jobs, hobby, students or what? And if so, what is your specialty? Or will you have to kill me if you tell me?
    I'm just a simple-minded crocodile.

So now just out of curiosity, Waterlaz, it-ogo and Croc… are you three scientist folks for your day jobs, hobby, students or what? And if so, what is your specialty? Or will you have to kill me if you tell me?
    I did some research in semiconductor physics and biophysics (mainly numerical techniques) and now have a position in Informational technology department in a college. My hobby is "generally educated one": I like to get into discussions in areas where I am not a professional (like linguistics) and so can afford to be reckless, irresponsible and arrogant.

You have an interesting job, rockzmom. The work like yours is often needed but I didn't know it can be paid for.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Sort of off topic here.....

Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo
    Informational technology department
    I got out of all those science classes in college by taking computer programming like Basic & Pascal. I used to know CPM & DOS very well and I still miss DOS. I use the back door out of VISTA whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo
    You have an interesting job, rockzmom. The work like yours is often needed but I didn't know it can be paid for.
    There are several ways to do what I did and get paid extremely well! Two of them might be options for you if you are interested and you don't actually have to speak in front of people, just WITH people and be able to document and flow chart things in "plain layman" terms.

The first option might be best for a scientist sort of person and that is because of ISO 9000 (now ISO 9001) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9000. Many companies want to become ISO 9001certified yet it is as we were discussing here, very hard for technical people, and even managers, to put down in writing EVERYTHING that they do on a daily basis and to do that in a plain language that can be understood. They also HATE to take the time out of their busy schedules to do this "grunt" work. Therefore, they hire people to do it for them and pay them LOTS of money because they just don't WANNA do it or CAN'T and they need to. There are firms that specialize in this and you either work for the firm or you get hired directly by the company.

The other is due to Sarbanes-Oxley ("SOX") work http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarbanes-Oxley_Act. This is for ANY U.S. public company boards, management and public accounting firms (basically, meaning any company trading stock on a U.S. stock market like New York Stock Exchange or NASDAQ). This caused the same thing to happen as basically if a company wanted to have ISO 9000 certification. You have to document almost everything an employee does in their job from start to finish. BUT... non U.S. companies also need to be SOX compliant IF they trade on a U.S. stock market exchange, like Toyota and Sony. So, any Ukraine or Russian companies that are now on the London Stock Exchange and want to move over to a U.S. Exchange (like New York or NASDAQ) would then need to become SOX compliant.

One other thing... there are a number of people (not just tech folk) who just do not have the talent writing and/or for public speaking. Ghost writing speeches and pitches (for new ideas, say a new product, TV show or movie as examples) and creating presentations that accompany the pitch is also very common and lucrative. Sometimes you are hired to write and create the presentation and other times you are hired to do all three, write, create and give the presentation (or pitch).

Sort of like you writing Waterlaz's paper for him (hehe)
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    and I'm really angelina jolie

I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    and I'm really angelina jolie
    Call it even?

Someone explain crocodiles in Russia...
    Like in Izhevsk...
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123