Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: question!!

  1. #1
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    12

    question!!

    In Russian, how do you say a) I want to understand you versus b) I want you to understand ?? Thanks!
    ~angels fell first...~

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    RedMountain
    Posts
    564
    Rep Power
    12
    a) Я хочу тебя понять b)Я хочу чтобы ты понял(а)

  3. #3
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Здесь... С ложкой
    Posts
    783
    Rep Power
    13
    I believe
    I want to understand you - Я тебя хочу понимать.
    I want you to understand - Я хотел чтобы ты понимаешь.
    Я знаю
    Что делаю
    Вилкою
    Пирогу

    How to Post

    Last edited by Darobat on Mon Mar 5, 1759 1:19 am; edited 243 times in total

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай chaika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Чапелхилловка, NC USA
    Posts
    1,986
    Rep Power
    19
    Darobat, I would go with dragonwarze.

    Note: the particle бы always requires a verb with the past-tense form. Hence хочу, чтоб/чтобы ты понял/a.

    Use the perfective here. You are focussing on the result of the action, not the process.

  5. #5
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Здесь... С ложкой
    Posts
    783
    Rep Power
    13
    Ааа, теперь понимаю. Спасибо!
    Я знаю
    Что делаю
    Вилкою
    Пирогу

    How to Post

    Last edited by Darobat on Mon Mar 5, 1759 1:19 am; edited 243 times in total

  6. #6
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    312
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    Darobat, I would go with dragonwarze.

    Note: the particle бы always requires a verb with the past-tense form. Hence хочу, чтоб/чтобы ты понял/a.

    Use the perfective here. You are focussing on the result of the action, not the process.
    Just one correction, use comma before "чтобы".

    Я хочу, чтобы ты понял(а)
    Anatoli - Анатолий - أناتولي - 阿纳托利 - アナトーリー - 아나톨리

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай chaika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Чапелхилловка, NC USA
    Posts
    1,986
    Rep Power
    19
    [Edit]
    nevermind.

    Too bad you can't just zap a comment into the bit bucket.

  8. #8
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Darobat
    I believe
    I want to understand you - Я тебя хочу понимать.
    I want you to understand - Я хотел чтобы ты понимаешь.
    I was just wondering why for the second one you are using the past for the verb 'to want'?? (Я хотел/a instead of Я хочу...)
    ~angels fell first...~

  9. #9
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    312
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by jessi
    Quote Originally Posted by Darobat
    I believe
    I want to understand you - Я тебя хочу понимать.
    I want you to understand - Я хотел чтобы ты понимаешь.
    I was just wondering why for the second one you are using the past for the verb 'to want'?? (Я хотел/a instead of Я хочу...)
    Я хотел бы - means "I would like"
    Я хочу - I want

    Я хотел чтобы ты понимаешь is incorrect. "хотел" (without "бы") is just a past tense of хотеть but you need to use past in the second part of the sentence.

    Я хочу, чтобы ты понял(а) / or: понимал(а).
    Anatoli - Анатолий - أناتولي - 阿纳托利 - アナトーリー - 아나톨리

Similar Threads

  1. another question: MO
    By devochka in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2010, 09:04 AM
  2. I have a question.
    By Notla in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: June 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM
  3. a question
    By Chuvak in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 26th, 2006, 04:06 PM
  4. a question :)
    By Ustas in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 16th, 2006, 04:50 PM
  5. question
    By Орчун in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 12th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary