Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: NonRussian films (work in progress)

Почётный участник

Re: Favorite movie/book phrases or quotes??

Well Solaris is by Tarkovsky. That describes it pretty good. I personaly enjoyed very much. Though Stanislav Lem hated it and afaik had a big fight with Tarkovsky about it.

Everyone! I uploaded a PDF of the movie list that I posted yesterday. Here is the link....

http://www.mediafire.com/?nndmvguu0id
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlaz
    Well Solaris is by Tarkovsky. That describes it pretty good. I personaly enjoyed very much. Though Stanislav Lem hated it and afaik had a big fight with Tarkovsky about it.
    And Tarkovsky did Stalker also right??? Have you seen that one?
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    I have.

Well... I think you can guess my opinion.

I know Tarkovsky was a great director... I can't say anything is bad or unprofessional in his films, but ... it's just they are not just "for viewers". I'd say it's what we call "авторское кино" in Russian ("art cinema" in English maybe?..). It often is really boring for a "simple" viewer. Although there are many of "art cinema" things I really enjoyed, so I hope I should not be considered as a very simple viewer...
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    I also have "The Very Same Munchhausen" but just need subtitles in order to watch that one.
    I think I've found them:
    http://www.divxsubtitles.net/page_subti ... p?ID=65464
    Thanks!! I downloaded them, but for anyone who does download these...note that the file type comes as a .sub and needs to be renamed to .srt which is no biggie.

I am working on trying to sync the four files up now and then save them to a DVD so that I can watch this with the girls! My techno geekness is showing as it is getting the best of me. They work fine in VLC, yet I cannot get it to output or SAVE from VLC (I just get error messages) and the program I normally use to do this (4Media) is not happy with the subtitles (sigh).
    So, I have now tried five different programs and ONLY VLC can recognize the subtitles even if I don't change the file type!! And I just cannot get VLC to output the file in anyway shape or form once I get it up and running.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? As it is a rather long movie, I would much rather watch in on the TV and not the computer if at all possible.....

I know picky, picky!! I want subtitles and to have it on a DVD! And of course some nice Russian chocolate to go with it would be nice too!

Завсегдатай

So, I have now tried five different programs and ONLY VLC can recognize the subtitles even if I don't change the file type!! And I just cannot get VLC to output the file in anyway shape or form once I get it up and running.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? As it is a rather long movie, I would much rather watch in on the TV and not the computer if at all possible.....

I know picky, picky!! I want subtitles and to have it on a DVD! And of course some nice Russian chocolate to go with it would be nice too!
    Кто-нибудь может мне на русский перевести, в чем проблема rockzmom?
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Старший оракул

I am working on trying to sync the four files up now and then save them to a DVD
    Does that mean that you have four AVIs and need to glue them together? If so, use VirtualDub, which is small, free and doesn't need to be installed. I could explain further but I'm not sure that that is what you need.

Кто-нибудь может мне на русский перевести, в чем проблема rockzmom?
    rockzmom хочет записать фильм для просмотра на DVD-плеере и при этом сохранить субтитры.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo
    rockzmom хочет записать фильм для просмотра на DVD-плеере и при этом сохранить субтитры.
    Хм... Я и не знала, что avi-файлы можно смотреть на DVD-плеере...

Quote Originally Posted by E-learner
    I am working on trying to sync the four files up now and then save them to a DVD
    Does that mean that you have four AVIs and need to glue them together? If so, use VirtualDub, which is small, free and doesn't need to be installed. I could explain further but I'm not sure that that is what you need.
    Okay I got some cheap chocolate and a cup of tea and I will try to explain again my troubles....

1) I have two .avi files of the movie (part 1 and part 2) and the two .sub files (subtitles, part 1 and part two) that I got from the links Olya provided earlier today.

2) When I go to "merge" the part 1 of the movie and the part 1 of the .sub (subtitles) it ONLY works in VLC Media Player (same for part 2 as well). It will NOT work in any other program EVEN if I change the file extension to .srt for the subtitles. And it will only let me watch it on the computer screen. It looks and sounds great!

3) I WANT to be able to export the merged .AVI files (the Russian movie) and the .sub (English subtitles) into two files (part 1 and part 2 and a .AVI file would be fine) so that I can put it onto a DVD and then be able to watch it on my TV.

4)I see in the VLC program there are ways to Convert/Save or Stream, yet when I tried that a million different times I got these error messages:

File reading failed:
    VLC could not open the file "F:\Movies\Russian\tvsm1.avi :sub-file=F:/Movies/Russian/Tot Samyy Myunkhgauzen [1-2].srt :subsdec-align=0 :freetype-rel-fontsize=16".
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'F:\Movies\Russian\tvsm1.avi :sub-file=F:/Movies/Russian/Tot Samyy Myunkhgauzen [1-2].srt :subsdec-align=0 :freetype-rel-fontsize=16'. Check the log for details.

or I get this:

File reading failed:
    VLC could not open the file "F:\Movies\Russian\tvsm1.avi :sub-file=F:/Movies/Russian/Tot Samyy Myunkhgauzen [1-2].srt :subsdec-align=0 :freetype-rel-fontsize=16".
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'F:\Movies\Russian\tvsm1.avi :sub-file=F:/Movies/Russian/Tot Samyy Myunkhgauzen [1-2].srt :subsdec-align=0 :freetype-rel-fontsize=16'. Check the log for details.
    File reading failed:
    Yet to me this makes no sense at all as the VLC porgram CAN open these files as it did before as I could watch the movie on my computer!

I have Vista and tried 4Media Video Converter, DiVXPlayer,Full version Real Media Player, Wiagra and none of these programs recognized the subtitles... only VLC did. What I mean by this is when I selected the subtitle file, these programs would either not open the file and give an error message or would not play the subtitles.

Is this all clear as mud now

Завсегдатай

To me, the most unclear thing now is why you want to watch the movie on the DVD player.

I actually didn't know that one could watch avi files on a DVD player (especially with subtitles like .srt or others), and I don't think it's possible...

To me, the most unclear thing now is why you want to watch the movie on the DVD player.
    Oh... well, when you have two girls and a sometimes a hubby who want to try and get intertested in this whole "Russian" thing it is nice to all all pile on the BIG bed (with the two cats) and watch the movie on the tv instead of trying to watch it on the little computer monitor. OR... sometimes I put it on an ipod and watch it on that when I have to take the bus to NY or I am waiting while the girls are working! Small screen, but it makes the trip and the time go MUCH faster!!!

actually didn't know that one could watch avi files on a DVD player (especially with subtitles like .srt or others), and I don't think it's possible...
    Yup, I do that all the time!!! As a matter of fact, that's how we're watching "Hello, I'm Your Aunt!" We get the DVDs that you can record and then erase and then record over and over again so we don't have to keep buying DVDs!

Завсегдатай

Okay, then... There is no sense in renaming the file extention. Sub and srt are two different formats. Try to find a converter which would turn .sub into .srt.

Старший оракул

rockzmom
    I downloaded those subtitles and they are neither SUBs nor SRTs. I converted them with "Subtitle Workshop" and they are here:
    http://narod.ru/disk/9511150000/Tot%20S ... D.srt.html
    http://narod.ru/disk/9511195000/Tot%20S ... D.srt.html

Старший оракул

I don't have a DVD player but I always thought that you just dump AVI and SRT with the same name on the disk and it works. Doesn't it?

I do not have a DVD player, but I have a cable to connect my PC to TV directly if I want to see .AVI on a big screen.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

rockzmom
    I downloaded those subtitles and they are neither SUBs nor SRTs. I converted them with "Subtitle Workshop" and they are here:
    http://narod.ru/disk/9511150000/Tot%20S ... D.srt.html
    http://narod.ru/disk/9511195000/Tot%20S ... D.srt.html
    If I could but give you a kiss and a hug my sweet e-Learner, I would right now!!!

It looks like the subtitles might even be the same if not close to the ones Olya provided for me.

Did you happen to notice on that site if they actually have the movie already with the subtitles merged? If so, I can list it on my movie list.
    I don't have a DVD player but I always thought that you just dump AVI and SRT with the same name on the disk and it works. Doesn't it?
    I never tried that....

As far as I know.. you must use a program, like the one I use, 4 Media Video Converter, and merge the movie and the subtitles together, then burn to a DVD or on to your ipod or other portable device.

When you do this you can also change the color, size, and even type of font for the subtitles. Like I prefer Yellow for my subtitles instead of WHITE as for me it is easier to read most of the time. I also should use glasses for distance and sometimes if I don't want to wear my glasses, I can make the font REALLY LARGE .

Okay, then... There is no sense in renaming the file extention. Sub and srt are two different formats. Try to find a converter which would turn .sub into .srt.
    Olya, did not know that. Thank you. I will look for the Subtitle Workshop that eLearner mentioned in the event this happens again so I don't spend an entire day .

I am merging the two files with the subtitles as I type and then will burn them to a DVD and this weekend give the girls a break from their studies and watch this MOVIE!!!

Thanks to both of you!!!

Старший оракул

It looks like the subtitles might even be the same if not close to the ones Olya provided for me.

Did you happen to notice on that site if they actually have the movie already with the subtitles merged? If so, I can list it on my movie list.
    Either I'm missing something or you misunderstood me.

I believe I downloaded the very same subtitles from the very same site that you did, following the very same link that Olya provided earlier in this thread.

What I think happened was that you were confused by my statement that "they are neither SUBs nor SRTs". I did not mean that the names of the files did not end with the .sub. They did.
    What I meant was that the internal structure of the files did not befit a decent SRT- or SUB-file.

Now, I must admit that I wasn't entirely correct on that account. It turned out that there are loads of different subtitle formats that people decided to mark with the extension .sub. It's just that I had never run across that particular variety of them before. Your software seems to not know anything about it either. Although, I think it would recognise the "usual" kind of .sub.
    Fortunately, Subtitle Workshop is smarter than the rest of us.

Старший оракул

I remember everyone thought Solaris was really good and I do have that one downloaded already.
    The film was so very boring to me...
    Okay, so I now have one NO in Solaris column.
    I wouldn't have gone so far as to say that that film was boring for me, but I do say that all its highbrow philosophy, which many people claim it to possess, was lost on me.

I suppose, as it is neither definite "yes" nor definite "no", this post is useless. It just that I seem to develop some kind of addiction - to write something, anything, in English.

Почётный участник

Yes, I've seen Stalker. I liked it better then Solaris. Stalker being based on a book has nothing in common with it.
    Maybe just some ideas. But in general Tarkovsky takes a book and makes a movie about something completely different.

Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast