Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Music: Cutting Edge and What You Are Listening To?

Re: Music: Cutting Edge and What You Are Listening To?

But what is interesting, at least to me , is you then get artists like Curt Smith (the guy I started this thread with from Tears for Fears) who published his ablum under "Halfway Pleased" the Creative Commons license, which gives fans the right to copy, distribute and perform the album’s songs, so long as the uses are non-commercial and properly attributed to Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Smith
    “Nothing would make me happier,” he insists, “than for my music to be heard by as many people as possible. If people like the album and its songs enough to put it on their website or share it with their friends, that's fantastic. I only ask that they not exploit my music in any way that generates revenue for them but not for me. Because at the end of the day,” he points out, “artists need to realize an income from their art... or they'll have to stop making art in order to do something else to keep a roof over their heads."
    Of course there are still links to buy the album on his Web site and he sells them at concerts and so on... but at least he is not fighting you tooth and nail to not play them and share them!
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by bitpicker
    The fact that Russian artists still exist even though copyright isn't heeded at all shows that probably the worries of such companies aren't based on fact,
    Well said!
    The business models of the Western European and American music industry are outdated and will die unless they face reality. They might be able to intimidate a few European countries to play along in their last (dying) fight (i.e. Sweden, Netherlands -- [Pirate Bay, Mininova]...). But what are they going to do about Russia, Ukraine, China and many more....? In order to stop piracy they'd have to lock down the internet completely....

With Last.fm they'd AT LEAST get the advertising income, and the user music profiles from the scrobbling feature.
    If they are going to charge, people will just ignore the site.

Most of the money go to the record companies anyway, not to the artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    The fact that Russian artists still exist even though copyright isn't heeded at all shows that probably the worries of such companies aren't based on fact,
    The business models of the Western European and American music industry are outdated and will die unless they face reality.
    The income of Russian singers/groups comes mainly from concerts. Yes, there is something strongly wrong in the western music industry business models but the total piracy is not a good solution too.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo
    The income of Russian singers/groups comes mainly from concerts. Yes, there is something strongly wrong in the western music industry business models but the total piracy is not a good solution too.
    The irony lies in the fact that this is true everywhere else, too. CD sales are not as important as merchandising and concerts. usually it's not the artists who argue against free downloads but the industry. To them, each and every downloaded file is a file not bought. Idiocy, most downloaders can't even actually listen to all the things they download, let alone shell out the money to buy them.

I'm not for piracy either. I buy music when I can, either as a non-copy protected CD or a non-DRM-encumbered mp3 file. I refuse to buy material which is crippled by design because someone assumes I'm going to distribute it to everyone and their neighbours.

In addition, copy protection is essentially meaningless. We're talking digital material here - copies don't degrade, so the moment the first copy is out any and all copy protection becomes futile. And that is usually the case long before the copy-protected material is legally available. So copy protection is just another way to burn money uselessly.

Sometimes I wish there was an easy way to pay the artist directly. For example: I have no legal way as yet to get the new album by Слот. I bought the previous three ones from amazon.de as mp3 downloads, but the new one isn't even announced yet. I know no shop which carries the CD. But I did locate mp3 downloads, surely not legal, and in even better sampling quality than amazon.de would offer. Now I'm happy - but if the band had a paypal button on their site I'd rather send them, say, ten euros than buy the mp3s on amazon, once they turn up, just to have morally legalized the files I already have. And the band would get more out of it as well.

Some western bands have already learned that free downloads mean publicity. Nine Inch Nails and Coldplay (IIRC) have offered their last albums for free even before you could buy them. I actually downloaded the NIN one just because I could. Didn't like it, but could have. I'd never have thought about even giving them a chance without that download.

Robin
    Спасибо за исправления!

Вам нравится этот форум, и вы изучаете немецкий язык? Вот похожий форум о немецком языке.

On Youtube, I stumbled across this guy who does animated stories to songs. Here are a few of them...

Here is the first one...
    "Overkill" by Colin Hay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0DsJQdpwwI

This one is cute....The Beginnings of Love
    "Out of My Head" by Fastball
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J5lM7byblM

This is how I found him...
    "Round Here" by Counting Crows
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmjXLh5j4ew
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Adam Lambert....

Presales of debut album beating Madonna & Beatles, weeks before release and all by word of mouth, no PR
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/lambert_riot_Odn517d7RJZXPzwvrrBCnK
    'AMERICAN Idol" runner- up Adam Lambert is bigger than Madonna and even The Beatles.

Within hours of making his yet-to-be-released album available for pre-order on Amazon.com, a frenzy of ordering drove Lambert's ranking all the way to No. 2 on the online retailer's bestsellers list.

That put Lambert ahead of Madonna, The Beatles and world-wide sensation Susan Boyle.

Lambert's album won't be released until Nov. 24. The only CD that out-ranked him yesterday was Barbra Streisand's first new record in four years.

The sky-rocket sales seem to indicate two things: that "Idol" packs an unprecedented punch in the music business and that Lambert, like Jennifer Hudson and Chris Daughtry in past seasons, may quickly overshadow the singer who beat him in the final vote, Kris Allen.

Remarkably, Lambert's record company, RCA, did not announce that it was taking pre-release orders. The sales were all propelled by word of mouth.

Lambert and his fellow Top 10 "Idols," including Allen and 4th-place finisher Allison Iraheta wrapped up their "American Idols Live" tour a few weeks ago.

Fans, left without their daily fix, have been scouring the Internet for news of their "Idol" favorites.

It was during one of these searches, early Sunday morning, when a Lambert fan discovered that Adam's album was available.

Within hours, word of the album's availability on Amazon spread across the Internet. The online social networking site, Twitter, lit up with the news. Fans traveled from "Idol" blogs to Lambert fanboards to spread the word to other fans. Soon, the album, which has yet to be named, began climbing up the Amazon Bestsellers List.

By late Sunday afternoon, it hit No. 4. Later that evening, it peaked at No. 2.

Lambert has been working on his album with a slew of industry a-listers including Lady Gaga's producer RedOne, One Republic's Ryan Tedder and "Since U Been Gone" hit maker Max Martin.

The album has also made its way onto several critics' "most anticipated" lists.
    Not certain how much of the Adam Lambert buzz (and screams) was heard across the pond; however, the first time he did Mad World live was pretty darn good. It was a complete package thing (lighting, his mannerism, the single chair thing, and so on). BTW another old Tears for Fears song!
    http://s444.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=b52da1e4.flv

THIS WEEK's CHALLENGE... what are the correct lyrics????

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup
    I would like to share a fantastic piece of art with all of you. This is the song where the singer voice is a sort of a musical instrument. The voice and the music are so adjusted as the listener while following the singer is picked up by the instrumental flow and washed away to the sea of emotional music.
    "Centuries" by "The orb" from the "Cydonia" album of 2001. The brilliant vocal is by Aki Omori.

I was surfing the web for the lyrics but have not found it. I can clearly hear the word "centuries" but all the others are the mystery. If somebody can, please post the lyrics!
    I realize we NEVER got back to this mystery of the lyrics for this song! Shame on us!!! I surfed the Web and could not locate them even on the band's Web site. So, I started to listen to the song carefully and realized, CoffeeCup is correct, saying the Diva is difficult to understand is an understatement

I have uploaded a clean copy of the song for anyone who wants to take a stab at this or thinks the version out on YouTube is not clear enough.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmqliOOIKvs

http://www.mediafire.com/?a0yyzmjnwwz (clean mp3 version)

Here are the lyrics as I have been able to get them:
    Line
    1 So, if (long ago and??)…somewhere
    2 Every moment we shake as we (can/kiss?)
    3 ...for a century my memory should be
    4 Moments created un…
    5 As … my eyes can…you
    6 Then forever I shall live
    7 In a memories old friends
    8 For it's only a century away
    9 If my life turns a pass (path) of pain
    10 Then my love may cry out loud
    11 so to take a (chance?)...in blood
    12 shows life has just begun
    13 For it's only a century away
    14 So, if (long ago and??)…somewhere
    15 Every moment we shake as we (can/kiss?)
    16 ...for a century my memory should be
    17 For it's only a century away
    18 For it's only a century away
    19 We interrupt this program to bring you a bulletin from the Mutual news room
    20 According to an announcement from Moscow Radio
    21 John Dennison of 643 Water Street had his house made upside down.

Hanna

I just want to report that I downloaded some albums by Zemfira and listened over the last few days as I did some travelling. She is REALLY good. I recommend anybody who is looking for Russian music to listen to her. And after listening several times, I agree with the person (can't remember who) who said that her cover of Kukuschka was better than the original...But the original was a different story though. I'm a bit hazy on the details but it was not released until after Victor Tsoi died, right? That song reminds me of my first boyfriend. And is it known how Victor Tsoi died? I heard all sorts of crazy stories at the time, and later lost interest. Then, a year after, Freddy Mercury died too!

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    And is it known how Victor Tsoi died? I heard all sorts of crazy stories at the time, and later lost interest.
    автокатастрофа=car accident.
    автокатастрофа sounds so much more horrendous!
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

I am a BIG TIME Hall & Oates fan! So I am very pleased this boxed set is coming out tomorrow and hope a new generation will listen to them! I can't believe that Hall is 63 & Oates is 60!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/1 ... index.html

The Big Bam Boom album rocked! I had the cassette when it first came out in the 80's and then a few years ago bought the CD for my girls! I even have some of their LPs somewhere in my house!

Out Of Touch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1RcRglBaHA (video & song)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31wa5BTFO-E (just the song)

Method Of Modern Love
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAaFt7_6qvk (video & song)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAgKUYFDAww (just the song)

Sara Smile
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Red3R17FlUQ (song only)

She's Gone
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnVXIUyshng (Live Version)

Private Eyes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anLfoy2XsFw

If anyone needs lyrics, let me know!!!

The Twilight New Moon Soundtrack was released yesterday, 4 days early, and yes Lampada, there is a song by Muse on the soundtrack!! Of the other artists on the album, I "think" I only know of Death Cab For Cutie & Band of Skulls. If I know of others, I can't match their name with any songs right now. What about you folks.. have you heard of any of these bands????

I have already seen a link out there to download it if you like:
    http://hotfile.com/dl/15055862/9a3fc...-OST9.rar.html

Tracks:
    01. Death Cab For Cutie – Meet Me On The Equinox
    02. Band Of Skulls – Friends
    03. Thom Yorke – Hearing Damage
    04. Lykke Li – Possibility
    05. The Killers – A White Demon Love Song
    06. Anya Marina – Satellite Heart
    07. Muse – I Belong To You (New Moon Remix)
    08. Bon Iver & St. Vincent – Roslyn
    09. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Done All Wrong
    10. Hurricane Bells – Monsters
    11. Sea Wolf – The Violet Hour
    12. OK Go – Shooting The Moon
    13. Grizzly Bear – Slow Life
    14. Editors – No Sound But The Wind
    15. Alexandre Desplat – New Moon (The Meadow)

Here is the newest song from my younger daughter's Dance Company and as we now have frost outside it will help you to remember warmer days!!
    Barefoot and Crazy by Jack Inngram.

It is more of "rockabilly" type song than a pure "country" song even though it did make it to # 8 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs. There is a lot of "Southern" speak in this one!! Many of the words have their endings chopped off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVIS5RhESvI (music video and slightly different version from album)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEWbYiJFGyI (Album version and just the song)

Song: Barefoot and Crazy
    Artist: Jack Ingram
    Album: Big Dreams & High Hopes
    Composer: Ben Hayslip, Rhett Akins, Dallas Davidson
    Year: 2009

Lyrics:
    The clouds are partin'
    The summer sun's startin' to burn down on that river
    My baby's waitin'
    I got the Chevy shakin'
    I'm blazing a trail to get her
    There she is
    She's got her shades on
    & man she's lookin' strong
    Mine all mine for the weekend
    The coolers loaded down
    We're headed outta town
    Jumpin off the deep end
    Goin' barefoot and crazy
    Me and my baby
    Backflip off the flint rock bridge
    Double dog dare me and I will
    Meet me at the bottom with a cool wet kiss
    She's rockin' that bikini top
    My heart's skippin' like a rock across that water
    Don't ever wanna stop
    Goin' barefoot and crazy
    The sun is droppin'
    We got the fire poppin' &
    It's lightin' up her blue eyes
    With a little bit of luck
    It'll heat things up &
    We'll be lovin' in the moonlight
    Break out my old guitar
    Sing fishin' in the dark
    Baby get ready
    We'll take a little sip
    We'll take a little dip &
    Sleep in the bed of my Chevy
    Goin' barefoot and crazy
    Me and my baby
    Just me & her & the man in the moon
    Drinkin' on a cold bud brew
    Mornins gonna come way too soon
    We'll wake up &
    Do it all again
    Wishin' it would never end
    Anybody asks where we've been
    Tell 'em
    Barefoot and crazy
    Barefoot and crazy
    Me and my baby
    I did a back flip off the flint rock bridge
    Double dog dared me and I did
    Met me at the bottom with a cool wet kiss
    She's rockin' that bikini top
    My hearts skippin' like a rock across that water
    Don't ever wanna stop
    Goin' barefoot and crazy
    Don't ever wanna stop
    Don't ever wanna stop
    Goin' barefoot and crazy

Подающий надежды оратор

There's a lot of good music here, but this I think is the best, here--- (sorry, there are no lyrics...)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QB7ugJn ... re=channel

This is very good too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYxklAuK ... re=related

I'm currently listening to the new album by Rammstein, "Liebe ist für alle da". There's nothing link-wise I could show you yet.

Кщишт
    Спасибо за исправления!

Вам нравится этот форум, и вы изучаете немецкий язык? Вот похожий форум о немецком языке.

Quote Originally Posted by хоккеист
    There's a lot of good music here, but this I think is the best, here--- (sorry, there are no lyrics...)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QB7ugJn ... re=channel

This is very good too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYxklAuK ... re=related
    хоккеист! Welcome to the thread and thanks for the posting!!

The second one is from:
    Liturgy of St John Chrysostom (Russian: Литургия Иоанна Златоуста), Op.31, by Sergei Rachmaninoff
    and is:
    Movement 2: ("Благослови, душе моя, Господи!") Blagoslovi, dushe moya, Gospoda 'First Antiphon. Bless the Lord, O my soul'

This music has a very intersting history:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgy...(Rachmaninoff)
    Rachmaninoff composed the work in July, 1910 at his summer estate Ivanovka, following his American tour of 1909. Writing to his friend Nikita Morozov, Rachmaninoff said of the work, "I have been thinking about the Liturgy for a long time and for a long time I strove to write it. I started to work on it somehow by chance and then suddenly became fascinated with it. And then I finished it very quickly. Not for a long time have I written anything with such pleasure."

The work premiered November 25, 1910 in Moscow. Russian Orthodox ecclesiastical authorities strongly objected to the work's "spirit of modernism" and refused to sanction it for use during church services. Rachmaninoff did nothing to promote the work himself, and it soon fell into obscurity.

A portion of the Liturgy was given in concert performance in New York on Jan. 24, 1914 by the male choir of the Russian Cathedral of St. Nicholas, conducted by Ivan Gorokhov.

A new edition, reconstructed from surviving part books at an Orthodox monastery in the U.S. and microfilm at the U.S. Library of Congress, was published by Anthony Antolini in 1988. This reconstruction was the subject of a PBS documentary entitled "Rediscovering Rachmaninoff", produced by KTEH television in San Jose, California.
    English Lyrics:
    Praise the Lord, o my soul. Prise be to God.
    O Lord my God, you are very great. Praise be to God.
    You are clothed with splendor and majesty.
    Praise be to God.
    The waters will stand above the mountains.
    Thy deeds are wonderful, O Lord.
    The waters will come in the middle of the mountains.
    Thy deeds are wonderful,
    O Lord.
    Your wisdom created everything.
    Glory to Thee, who created all.

Hanna

Thanks both хоккеист and Rockzmom for posting about these absolutely outstanding and very moving pieces....

Great videos!

I did not know that Rachmaninoff lived into the 1940 or that he lived in the USA. Anyway, I love his piano concertos.

I'm currently listening to the new album by Rammstein, "Liebe ist für alle da". There's nothing link-wise I could show you yet.

Кщишт
    Dude... this album was just released in the U.S. YESTERDAY!!!

I was able to find the first single off the ablum...."Pussy" was Rammstein's first number one single in Germany, their second number one single of all time ("Benzin" was the first one in Finland).

This is off the new album!!
    WARNING! WARNING! R Rating here!!
    "Pussy"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VXNM0NDA4A

Amazon Music Sampler if ya want to hear more from the album...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radi ... fix=dp_img

I have no idea why my keyboard was set to typing Russian when I typed my name there... :fool"

Rockzmom, that video is the official version you can present to the public in general, but it is not the original video. The original isn't R-rated. The very distorted images you see in that version are crystal-clear in the original. You can only find it on hardcore sites. No-one else would touch it. It is, to all intents and purposes, porn.

The CD was released last Friday here in Germany.

Robin
    Спасибо за исправления!

Hanna

Well I have their earlier albums (from the 1990s). But I think they can be a bit... how shall I put it... too obscene.

It's not the kind of music I feel like listening to a lot nowadays..But Sometimes I do!

I've always listened to industrial type German bands. There's something unique about them.

Has anyone ever heard of this song or artist????

Xiangta [1] by Xia

It is also being used in one of the Dance Classes and the Dance Teacher does not have any additional information besides that and I am not having any luck locating it.

Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast