Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Merry Christmas and Happy New Years' CARDS!

I totally remembered that you're Jewish and here's the Hannukah card to prove it! -- Notice that this is presumably from a non-Jew to a Jewish friend. This strikes me as a "very American" card. Traditionally, Jews considered Hannukah to be a rather unimportant holiday on the religious calendar, but in 20th-century America, Hannukah gradually evolved into a sort of "Jewish Christmas", at least in the popular imagination.

And in some ways, the elevation of Hannukah was not so much about showing respect for the customs of Jewish Americans, but was related to the perpetual arguments in US domestic politics about religion in public schools, and representation of minorities, and church/state separation, etc. Thus, there are tens of millions of Christian Americans who are mostly ignorant of much more important Jewish religious days such as Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashana, Purim, Sukkot, etc. -- but they remember Hannukah, because it comes in December, near Christmas!

Thus, there's quite a lot of ironic humor in this card -- presumably, the sender never sends Rebecca a card on more important Jewish holidays like Rosh Hashana or Purim -- but when Christmastime comes around, the sender suddenly recalls, "Oh yeah, Rebecca is Jewish -- I should send her a Hannukah card..."

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    And some pretty cards with Cнегурочка & Дед мороз

Ё-моё! As St. Lucy might have said: "Oh, my eyes!!"

Since наша Ханна has already crossed the lines of good taste and moral decency by posting a disco-blinking animated .gif, I might as well add this little анекдот про Деда Мороза и Снегурочку, which was told to me by a Ukrainian emigre several years ago:

Дед мороз пьяный, с сигаретой в зубах, выходит к деткам, и тащит за косу Снегурочку, всю избитую, в кровоподтеках, в разодранном платье. Детки тут же начинают плакать.

-Дедушка мороз, ей же больно!! -- кричат детки.

-Я что, садист по вашему ? -- спрашивает дедушка, раскручивает над головой Снегурочку за косу, и со всего размаха бьет ее об пол -- Она же дохлая!!!

I have successfully told this joke to friends who aren't students of Russian, using a loose translation "in the American idiom":

Santa Claus comes out to his Santa chair in the shopping mall where the kiddies are waiting -- he's drunk, with a cigarette in his teeth. Behind him, he's dragging the beautiful Snowflake Elf by her long hair, and she's bruised and beaten, bloodstained, with her dress all torn up. Upon seeing this, the kids burst into tears.

"Santa Claus, you're hurting her!" scream the children.

"What, you think I'm some kind of sadist?" retorts the jolly old saint, whirling the Snowflake Elf over his head by her braids, and smacking her against the floor with all his might. "It can't hurt her, she's already deader than roadkill*!"

* "Roadkill" = падаль животного на шоссе. You could also translate Она же дохлая!!! as "She's a carcass; she's a stiff; she has croaked; she's at room temperature", etc. The point is that дохлый ("dead") can be used politely only when speaking about animals, but it sounds very crude and disrespectful to say it about a person.

P.S. This only is my second-favorite анекдот про Деда Мороза. But I might save my favorite one (set in Africa, with the punchline "Кто в этом году плохо кушал...") for later.

Banned
    Throbert,
    here is another one in your collection

Дед Мороз, пожалуйста, пришли варежки,шапку,валенки и шубку, а то замерзаю, сирота я..." пишет мальчик письмо с адресом: "На север, Деду Морозу". На почте читают письмо, из жалости собирают деньги, покупают шапку, шубку, валенки, а про варежки забыли и отправляют малышу. Мальчик пишет ответное письмо - на почте с радостью вскрывают письмо и читают всем коллективом: "спасибо, Дедушка, получил и валенки и шапку и шубку, а варежки наверное на почте украли."

Doomer, LOL! I have heard an R-rated version of this joke in English, with a more мат-ish ending: "Dear Santa Claus, thank you very much for the boots, hats, and coat, but the c*cksucking motherf*ckers at the Post Office stole the mittens!"

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomer View Post
    Throber,
    here is another one in your collection

Дед Мороз, пожалуйста, пришли варежки,шапку,валенки и шубку, а то замерзаю, сирота я..." пишет мальчик письмо с адресом: "На север, Деду Морозу". На почте читают письмо, из жалости собирают деньги, покупают шапку, шубку, валенки, а про варежки забыли и отправляют малышу. Мальчик пишет ответное письмо - на почте с радостью вскрывают письмо и читают всем коллективом: "спасибо, Дедушка, получил и валенки и шапку и шубку, а варежки наверное на почте украли."
    Может я сейчас скажу чушь, но дело в том, что анекдот сильно потерял в выразительности всего лишь из-за одного слова. Мне больше нравится, если слово "шапку" употребить в ласкательной форме - "шапочку".

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    Ё-моё! As St. Lucy might have said: "Oh, my eyes!!"

Since наша Ханна has already crossed the lines of good taste and moral decency by posting a disco-blinking animated .gif, .
    Sir, How dare you mock my taste in Russian New Years cards!!!
    That is just too much coming from a citizen of the country that invented blinking multi-coloured Christmas lights...

Anyway, here is some more Christmas stuff...... >

Anyway, I wonder if the people in this house had time to cook Christmas food and buy presents....

I wonder what their electricity bill will be......? Hope they're getting their energy from a "green" supplier.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jnllll View Post
    Может я сейчас скажу чушь, но дело в том, что анекдот сильно потерял в выразительности всего лишь из-за одного слова. Мне больше нравится, если слово "шапку" употребить в ласкательной форме - "шапочку".
    в оригинале там и не "украли" было
    но все-таки форум это открытое место, PG13 так сказать

Banned
    That is just too much coming from a citizen of the country that invented blinking multi-coloured Christmas lights...
    Speaking of which
    Brookfield Zoo lights - BrookField Zoo Lights 2011.mp4 - YouTube
    I was there yesterday with my family
    Not all the lights are LED but they switching to it, going green
    The sponsor is local electricity company

Hanna
    Nice for you that you have snow there!
    Here in Stockholm, there is no snow!!! but 18 hour nights - only 5-6 hours of daylight and only cloudy skies.
    I will get a serious depression soon if there is no snow.

Banned
    Nice for you that you have snow there!
    there is no snow in Chicago right now but that's unusual
    What do you when it's snow in Stockholm, Hanna?

в оригинале там и не "украли" было
    но все-таки форум это открытое место, PG13 так сказать
    Аг-гааааа! So the оригинал was really very close to the version I've heard in English. May I take a guess that украли ("they have stolen") was сп*здили ("they have f*cking stolen") in the original?
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

Banned
    so much for PG13 now
    yes, you are correct

BTW f*cking is more "polite" version, Russian мат is more "banned" by society than English. For example using мат in Russian movies is considered outrageous (even R-movies) and used rarely
    Maybe it's hypocrisy but it is what it is

I feel like party pooper now(посыпаю голову пеплом) I hope we can go back to snow and cards and holiday spirit

Подающий надежды оратор
    I hope we can go back to snow and cards and holiday spirit
    Давайте попробуем. Вот к примеру:

Здравствуй, Дедушка Мороз,
    Борода из ваты,
    Ты подарки нам принёс,

Э-э...
    Опять что-то не то...

Banned
    ну понеслалась, блин

Hanna
    there is no snow in Chicago right now but that's unusual
    What do you when it's snow in Stockholm, Hanna?
    Same thing here - no snow although normally there would be plenty of snow by now.
    The temperature is over 0 C--- they say last year it was -25 C for a month around this time. Normal temperature is perhaps -8 C or so in the winter.
    I just read today in the paper that this is the warmest winter for 128 years - since they started measuring it.

Totally insane, got to be the global warming I guess. But this is so far North that we really need the snow to light up the long dark nights. Without snow the it looks incredibly depressing in the winter.

I am suffering from some kind of reverse culture shock after being away from my country for a very long time. Perhaps that is something you can relate to...?

Banned
    Without snow the it looks incredibly depressing in the winter.
    I know exactly what you mean
    Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

"Animated christmas card" one of the best from Союзмультфильм: Щелкунчик
    This can be found on different sites, just search for video online.
    ル褄??韭 (1973) .

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    "Animated christmas card" one of the best from Союзмультфильм: Щелкунчик
    This can be found on different sites, just search for video online.
    ル褄??韭 (1973) .

Nothing quite says Christmas like light decorated cowboy boots.

17F2O_D.jpg

Cowgirls in short shorts with guns are nice too.

cowgirl-christmas-card-holding-guns1.jpg
    ♪♫♪ ♫♫♪ ♪♫ ♪♫

Hanna likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast