Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Literature Talk: Russian & Non -Discuss/Review/Q&As

Re: Literature Talk: Russian & Non -Discuss/Review/Q&As

Thought about posting this under Learn English... but as we were talking about the book here... I figured I keep it here....

As I mentioned, older daughter (8th grade/13) had to read "The Hobbit" for English Class. For her final Semester Essay, she had to select a quote from several the teacher provided and then use that quote in the essay and then answer the question "What wisdom does Bilbo discover?" In a well-developed essay, explain his journey to discovery and what he learns about himself as a result. She received a perfect mark of 50 points.

Rubric
    5 for Ideas and development- the paper is clear, focuses, and insightful. Relevcant examples and details effectively support the main idea.

5 for Organization - The organization enhances the main idea. The order, structure, and presentation of information effectively move the reader through the text.

10 for Explicitly identified the purpose of your essay

10 previewed the introducory paragraph

10 clearly explained the idea you inteneded to prove

10 avoided using "I" or "MY"

She did have footnotes in the paper for all of the quotes, however they do not come over when I copy and paste here.

Bilbo’s Journey

“The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination,” claimed Don Williams Jr., and that is ever so true for an unsuspecting well-to-do hobbit, by the name of Bilbo Baggins. During Bilbo’s expedition, Bilbo grows very much as a person (hobbit) from being a shy, timed hobbit to a confident and brave leader. And in the end while he still go back to being a hobbit, giving up most of his gold and getting back to his normal life, he is truly is a different hobbit who came back from his journey.

In the beginning of Bilbo’s story we see him as a kind, mannerly, fat old hobbit who would rather eat (as they have dinner twice a day when they can get it) and blow smoke-rings than go 10 feet from his house. Then one day and old wizard friend named Gandalf comes along and the next thing Bilbo knows, contrary to all his normal homebody ways, he is out on an adventure to find gold guarded by a dragon. Bilbo is not your everyday hobbit as this particular hobbit does have a very interesting bloodline. He is a member of the Took-clan and every so often this clan did in fact go out and have adventures, “They discreetly disappeared, and the family hushed it up.” Bilbo himself had a strong bit of Took in him waiting to wake up and Gandalf knew this as he had had adventures with Old Took, the head of the hobbits. While Bilbo himself professed to Gandalf that he did not want anything to do with adventures, “We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.” Somewhere deep inside of him he really must have wanted to go on the adventure because he had been thinking about it in the morning, “Don’t be a fool, Bilbo Baggins!” And, it did not take much for Gandalf to convince Bilbo to leave his warm comfortable home without even finishing his breakfast and set out on his quest,
    “That leaves you just ten minutes. You will have to run,” said Gandalf.
    “But--,” said Bilbo.
    “No time for that wither! Off you go!”
    “To the end of his days Bilbo could never remember how he found himself outside, without a hat, a walking-stick or any money, or anything that he usually took when he when out; leaving his second breakfast half-finished…”

Once Bilbo is on his adventure he begins to change as well as his attitude towards the adventure begins to change. It is no longer this fun and amazing sounding trip that he had heard stories about as a young hobbit, “Anything from climbing trees to visiting elves – or sailing in ships, sailing to other shores!” Bilbo had been captured by trolls and they threatened to skin and eat him, “And can yer cook ‘em? said Tom.
    “Yer can try,” said Bert, picking up a skewer.
    “He wouldn’t make above a mouthful,” said William, who had already had a fine supper, “not when he was skinned and boned.”

The Bilbo of just a short time ago if having survived this peril would have run quickly back to the Shire and never left his lovely home again. Yet our Bilbo was changing and instead of running away like he would have if he was his normal hobbit self, he helped his companions who had now been captured, he actually stayed and fought the trolls! “Bilbo did his best. He caught hold of Tom’s leg – as well as he could, it was thick as a young tree-trunk- but he was sent spinning up into the top of some bushes.” Bilbo also proved that he was growing less selfish and more willing to give up his possessions to his team members, “I found it on the ground where the trolls had their fight,” he told his companions as he offered them the key he had found. And yet, just as he takes a few steps forward toward growing, he still wants to cling to his old life, “He was thinking once again of his comfortable chair before the fire in his favorite sitting-room in his hobbit-hole, and of the kettle singing.” But then, he would be adventurous again and try things like riding a pony and sleeping in caves. Unfortunately by the end of this time period Bilbo has not completely learned to trust, and give up everything for his companions. For example Bilbo would not give up the ring he found, in fear that his companions would start a fight over it, and he would not be able to keep it, also Bilbo likes the power the ring gives him, “He wanted it because it was a ring of power, and if you slip it on your finger, you were invisible;”

Towards the end of the adventure Bilbo has changed dramatically from the Bilbo we meet at the start of this tale. In the beginning of his adventure Bilbo goes for the promise of enormous wealth, but when he returns home he gives most of his money away because he has now learned that having a peaceful, quiet afternoon and a warm-cooked meal is worth 10 times more than any amount of gold Bilbo could have, “Not far from the rode they found the gold of the trolls, which they had buried, still hidden and untouched. “I have enough to last me my time,” said Bilbo, when they had dug it up “You had better take this, Gandalf. I daresay you can find a use for it.” Also, Bilbo who was just come along for the ride, is now a great leader of the expedition. No longer a shy hobbit but in-charge and strong, “I am Mr. Bilbo Baggins,”…
    “Indeed!” said they, “and what would be your business?”
    “Whatever it is, it’s my own, my good elves.”…"you will take me along quick to a fire, where I can dry- and then you will let me speak to your chiefs as quick as may be. I have only an hour or two to spare.”

Bilbo Baggins, our homebody little hobbit, experienced a life changing adventure which turned him into a confident leader and a better person. From starting out as not even wanting to leave his cozy little house, to learning how to be a leader, and then to actually become a leader, Bilbo matures all along the way. Bilbo also learns two very important lessons at the end of his journey, that sometimes what you have is already worth more than what you will receive and that anything is possible, even for a little hobbit, “Gandalf looked at him. “My dear Bilbo!” he said. “Something is the matter with you! You are not the hobbit that you were”
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Почтенный гражданин

I love "The Hobbit." I now have it in English and I've also got a radio production of it - with music, actors and everything. It's great! And I have to say, rockzmom, your daughter is lucky. I don't know whether it's the teacher or your school system in general but there's no way Russian children could read something like this at age 13 in school - it would be considered too childish or something. Poor guys have to read some really boring stuff. Well, not all of it is boring, but some things could be exchanged for something more interesting. We studied "Crime and Punishment" in the 9th grade, at 14 years old. I did get it, actually, it's not that difficult for that age.

When I was 10 I read "The Three Musketeers" by myself and really liked it, and was really proud of myself because the book is quite long and many of my classmates were still reading very slowly and struggling with much shorter books. So I came up to my literature teacher to share my joy and instead of encouragement I heard: "Well, it's only an adventure book, isn't it?" What a downer. So what are children supposed to read at 10? Nietzche?

So these are my favourite Russian "adult" books. I like children's lit a lot as well, but I'd better put those somewhere else. And I'll probably be back later with my faves of the world's literature but that's gonna be a huuuuge list... Well, maybe not so huge, actually.

Шолохов "Тихий Дон"/Sholokhov "Quiet Flows The Don" - that's a very long, four-volume saga about the 1917 revolution and how it affected the lives of the Don cossacks. This is 20-th century "War And Peace", but rather more exciting, violent and dramatic. I remember really enjoying its language - they used a lot of words that I'd never heard prior to reading this book, e.g. "хучь". Haven't seen the movie yet, somehow doubt it can do the book justice.

Борис Васильев - "А зори здесь тихие", "В списках не значился"/Boris Vasilyev, "The Dawns Here Are Quiet", "He Was Not Listed" Those are about WWII or the Great Patriotic War. I basically love Vasilyev's prose - it's short, light, modern, completely matter-of-fact, and not devoid of humour.

Антон Чехов - короткие рассказы/Chekhov's humorous short stories. I've got two compilation books of them, they are a real treat. And I don't mean "The Lady With A Dog" and other longer-type stories, but those that are really short - just a page or two, like "The Horse's Surname", "The Letter To A Learned Neighbour", etc.

Гончаров "Обломов"/Goncharov "Oblomov" - a classic about a very lazy man. Don't know why I like it, s'pose it's because I'm lazy

Куприн "Поединок"/Kuprin "The Duel" - liked it as a teenager a lot.

Борис Полевой "Повесть о настоящем человеке"/Boris Polevoy "Story of a Real Man" - based on a real story of a WWII fighter pilot. I read it as a teenager and it made a great impression on me.

A non-fiction book I've recently read about Russian women who fought in the Red Army during WWII - Светлана Алексиевич "У войны не женское лицо"/Svetlana Alexievich "War's Unwomanly Face"
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    I love "The Hobbit." I now have it in English and I've also got a radio production of it - with music, actors and everything. It's great! And I have to say, rockzmom, your daughter is lucky. I don't know whether it's the teacher or your school system in general but there's no way Russian children could read something like this at age 13 in school - it would be considered too childish or something. Poor guys have to read some really boring stuff. Well, not all of it is boring, but some things could be exchanged for something more interesting. We studied "Crime and Punishment" in the 9th grade, at 14 years old. I did get it, actually, it's not that difficult for that age.
    starrysky, you brought up a really good question and you may have answered for me WHY it is "you" Russians have such a wonderful vocabulary and wordsmith so well!

So, let me answer your question about why it is the teacher might have selected this book. For our school district, the teachers have a list of books they may select from and then there are certain books which each child must read as well. Each book is assigned a Lexile score as to how difficult the reading material is and each child has a Lexile reading score range that is update during the school year as they are tested 3 times a year. The school tries to group the children in classes by that Lexile score so when the teacher selects a book, they will ALL be able to read that book and be able to understand/comprehend it.

"The Hobbit" had a Lexile score of 1000. My daughter's class had already read "The Pearl" from that list which had a score of 1010. In that category ("Journeys") at around that Lexile level of 1000, were "Thunder Rolling in the Mountain," "I Heard the Owl Call My Name" & "Pedro’s Journal." So I am guessing the teacher thought the kids would enjoy "The Hobbit" more or it might have been a case of this was the book they had the most copies of!

Here are the links of the list of approved books by grade if you want to look:
    8th grade
    9th grade note all students must read Romeo and Juliet
    10th grade
    11th grade
    12th grade
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    So, let me answer your question about why it is the teacher might have selected this book. For our school district, the teachers have a list of books they may select from and then there are certain books which each child must read as well. Each book is assigned a Lexile score as to how difficult the reading material is and each child has a Lexile reading score range that is update during the school year as they are tested 3 times a year. The school tries to group the children in classes by that Lexile score so when the teacher selects a book, they will ALL be able to read that book and be able to understand/comprehend it.

"The Hobbit" had a Lexile score of 1000. My daughter's class had already read "The Pearl" from that list which had a score of 1010. In that category ("Journeys") at around that Lexile level of 1000, were "Thunder Rolling in the Mountain," "I Heard the Owl Call My Name" & "Pedro’s Journal." So I am guessing the teacher thought the kids would enjoy "The Hobbit" more or it might have been a case of this was the book they had the most copies of!

Here are the links of the list of approved books by grade if you want to look:
    Wow, this is a very elaborate system. See, that's what I like about American education - the stress on the individual approach and the greater freedom for the teacher to choose something that would be more enjoyable for the students. (now, I'm not really sure what articles should be used here. Is it "the freedom", "the teacher" and "the students" in this sentence? Articles are a great stumbling block for most Russians, since we don't have them). The Russian education has a lot of vestiges of the old Soviet system, where it was all uniform - the same standard program for all schools across the country. They are trying to change it and make it conform to the European and American standards - introducing tests and what-not and meeting quite a bit of resistence from the public along the way. I don't know which is better - I have heard that the Soviet system was very good, actually. But I would do away with boredom in school. Too many people just don't care about what they learn and read.

Yes, I see there are some very serious titles on those lists as well. Tolkien would have a high Lexile score, because his prose is not for the faint-hearted, at least in LOTR. "The Hobbit" is a bit easier, of course. I like the fact that it's not only American lit but that French, English and German titles are in the mix. In Russian schools it's almost all about Russian literature, which is way too exclusive. I mean, of course, we had "Romeo and Juliette" and some other foreign things but they seemed very rare. Mind you, I'm talking only of my own experience here, perhaps things have changed now. The problem with literature lessons today is that kids don't want to read. I do think it would help to solve the problem if there were more choice, freedom and creativity in our schools and if the best titles of the world literature were included. It's just too boring and ineffective to have to read about characters and events that you don't necessarily care about and relate to, and then have to write a composition about the stuff that you have no thoughts about. The fact that we'll never agree about what stuff should be read at school only shows that the teenager or at least the teacher should be able to choose for themselves.
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Старший оракул

Has it ever been that kids wanted to learn something on their own, except on rare occasions? Loosen the reins and straight away you get this:
    This is great! Not only am I not learning, I'm forgetting stuff I used to know, heh
    Bart: You know what our homework is? Find a toy and bring it to class.
    Marge: Boy, that sounds fun!
    Bart: I know, but I'm still not gonna do it.
    I'm sleepy. Let's go to school. ...

Wow, this is a very elaborate system. See, that's what I like about American education - the stress on the individual approach and the greater freedom for the teacher to choose something that would be more enjoyable for the students.
    Yes, it is. Our county started using it... oh, about five years ago I want to say. It is called MAPr (Measures of Academic Progress Reading) and it is a computerized testing program. The children read passages and then answer questions. If they get the question wrong, it gives them an easier passage. If they get it correct, it gives them a harder passage. It also tests them on vocabulary as well. So it spits out a report telling teachers and parents how well the child does on: word recognition and vocabulary, literal comprehension: narrative, interpretive comprehension: informational, literary response and analysis. And then based upon that, assigns the child that Lexile score range. So this way, if a child bombs out on say, understanding the main idea of a story, it will bring down their overall Lexile score. HOWEVER, it is an area that the teacher and/or parent can work on with the child to improve. Everyone knows, this is the problem area for the child and everything else is fine.
    The problem with literature lessons today is that kids don't want to read. I do think it would help to solve the problem if there were more choice, freedom and creativity in our schools and if the best titles of the world literature were included. It's just too boring and ineffective to have to read about characters and events that you don't necessarily care about and relate to, and then have to write a composition about the stuff that you have no thoughts about. The fact that we'll never agree about what stuff should be read at school only shows that the teenager or at least the teacher should be able to choose for themselves.
    This is true everywhere! My older daughter is an avid reader and my younger one... well let's just say she and AlexB would get along just great! However, just recently my younger one FINALLY found an author she loves! James Patterson. He usually writes adult books and he switched over to young adult just for this reason. He wanted to get more kids to read. His series of books called "Maximum Ride" and Daniel X and the new one Witch & Wizard (which just released in UK but will not be out in the US until Dec 25 boo hiss) are VERY popular among the tween/teen set and my younger daughter who NEVER likes to read.... well she read all of them NONSTOP! The first max book is even being made into a movie!

Now about the schools here in the US vs. Russia... I have written about this previously... my daughters attend a magnet school for the performing and creative arts and the teachers there try to make learning as creative as possible. So they don't always have to do written reports. Sometimes they can write a new ending to the book or create costumes and do research about the time period and write a diary as one of the characters. The school itself is also very relaxed. They can chew gum, wear flip flops, all sorts of things that make me go "say what?" because the principal would rather pick her battles on more important issues and keep the kids in school and focused on learning.

Just came back from parent/teacher conferences for the girls and found out the next book older daughter gets to read for class is.... Animal Farm by George Orwell!! When it was brought up that I am on a Russian Forum, she was soooo happy and told my daughter she better get an "A" for this one because she will be able to ask ALL kinds of questions about Stalin and get lots of help.

So, how many of you have read this one and what did you think of it?

Hanna

Animal Farm -- So, how many of you have read this one and what did you think of it?
    It was mandatory to read a book by Orwell for Litterature in school, and then write an essay about it. I picked this book because it was the thinnest....

The pigs on the Animal Farm are representing various people from early Soviet history, and the goings on at the farm are supposed to be an allegory to what happened in the USSR. I imagine this book was probably not available in the bookshops in the USSR..

The concept is fun, but basically the purpose is not to be great litterature (apparently it isn't) but to critisise Soviet communism. Which it certainly does, in a rather entertaining way. The tagline if I remember correctly was "Everybody is equal, but some are more equal than others"

My litterature teacher happened to be quite a hard-core socialist and did not appreciate my essay (which ended up being critical of the USSR). She totally trashed it and accused me of having translated some questionable English material instead of writing my own essay. Which I hadn't, at least not completely... Oh well. But every time I hear the name Trotsky, I just think of a bullied pig from Animal farm!

In this day and age it shouldn't be hard to find a complete write-up of this book online.

Hanna

Has anyone read anything by this year's Nobel prize winner in Literature?

Herta Müller.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    Has anyone read anything by this year's Nobel prize winner in Literature?
    Herta Müller.
    Johanna, I have not ready any of her work... sorry. Have you, and if so what would you recommend??

-------------
    Older daughter has now read one of Ray Bradbury's short stories. I remember him very well from my junior high days! At her age we had to read "A Sound of Thunder" and to this day, I remember it very well. She read "All Summer in a Day" and I have the feeling this story will stick with her as much as Thunder has stuck with me.

Here are links to both of these if you wish to read them (if someone can find them in Russian, please post the links for them!):

A Sound of Thunder (English)
    http://www.lasalle.edu/~didio/course...of_thunder.htm
    All Summer in a Day (English)
    http://staff2.esuhsd.org/danielle/En...%20a%20Day.pdf

There are even a short films of both that were made and you can watch them on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkLT57mVnGE A Sound of Thunder
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QWmahMdeGUAll Summer in a Day

Hanna

Johanna, I have not ready any of her work... sorry. Have you, and if so what would you recommend??
    Nope.... It's the same every year - I usally haven't even heard of the person who won.

But Russians are a bit "different!"
    Probably the most book-loving people in the world, according to the reputation at least.. So I thought that someone here might have read something by her.

Or perhaps Bitpicker who is the same nationality as the winner. (Although apparently she grew up in Romania.)

Apparently much of what she writes is about her feelings of being a stranger in Germany despite being a native German speaker. Basically she writes on the theme of alienation and "otherness". For me it's something I can really relate to right now. So I will read her over Christmas I think.

As for the books that your daughter read... Sorry I don't know about them at all... !

Okay, so this was sort of off topic on another thread so I am swining it over here and hoping someone might know the answer!

The Russian folktale Колобок
    Roly-Poly: a baked roll which escaped from the house not to be eaten.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolobok

I really recall knowing this story and wiki does not show that it had an English version. They state that it could be The Gingerbread Man, which I don't think that is what I remember. Now, it could be that I recall a Spanish version for some reason as I know the girls learned a number of stories and maybe I picked it up from them?

Anyone have any ideas as to a version of this in either English or Spanish?

They state that it could be The Gingerbread Man, which I don't think that is what I remember.
    As I read the text of "The Gingerbread Man" I found it to be extremely close to the Russian Kolobok fairy tale. Even the way the bread sings. The English song is just a word to word version of the Russian one. The only differences are: the bread shape, the set of animals willing to eat the bread, and the final scene. In the final scene English fox was just fast enough to catch the boastful bread while the Russian fox used a trick to cheat the bread and catch it. Upon being eaten the English bread cried while the Russian bread had no chances to say even a word.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Завсегдатай

Hey, I'm a bit late, but if anyone is interested in Mayakovsky, you can listen to one of his famous poems "Вам" (1915):

http://audiotheater.indeep.ru/sound/mayak.mp3 (2,3 Mb)

The quality is good. On the downside there are a lot of silly and unneeded soundeffects, which can prevent an unprepared listener from feeling the rhyme and energy of the poem.

Вам! (1915)
    by Mayakovsky

Вам, проживающим за оргией оргию,
    имеющим ванную и тёплый клозет!
    Как вам не стыдно о представленных к Георгию
    вычитывать из столбцов газет?!

Знаете ли вы, бездарные, многие,
    думающие, нажраться лучше как,-
    может быть, сейчас бомбой ноги
    выдрало у Петрова поручика?..

Если б он, приведенный на убой,
    вдруг увидел, израненный,
    как вы измазанной в котлете губой
    похотливо напеваете Северянина!

Вам ли, любящим баб да блюда,
    жизнь отдавать в угоду?!
    Я лучше в баре блядям буду
    подавать ананасную воду!

(To) You! (1015)
    Translation by Anastasia Zabrodina

You, dwelling from orgy to orgy,
    Having bathroom and cosy waterclosets,
    How dare you to read about George’s laureates
    From newspaper columns?!

Do you know, the talentless, the multiple,
    How to devour thinking only of,-
    Maybe now the legs of lieutenant Petrov
    Have been torn out by a random bomb?..

If only he saw, being sent to death,
    With wounds all over his body,
    How you, with a meatball all over your lips,
    Lustfully hum Severianin !

You, loving twats and meals,
    Should I give my life to please to?!
    I shall better serve pineapple drinks
    In a pub to local tarts!

(the poem refers to the WWI and criticise the authorities and "bourgeoisie" in general. It caused quite an uproar when Mayakovsky had read it for the first time (like most of his poems, actually). )

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Translation by Anastasia Zabrodina
    What a horrorible translation. George's laureates...Oh, my.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by translationsnmru
    What a horrorible translation.
    I didn't like it either. Especially "tarts" instead of... what stands in the original.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by translationsnmru
    What a horrorible translation.
    I didn't like it either. Especially "tarts" instead of... what stands in the original.
    Yeah, I agree. I didn't like many things about it either.
    But it's the only translation I could find (I could try to translate it myself, of course, but... just one word - LAZY )

I was asked by a friend to find and read a book called ABOUT MY LIFE.

Does anyone know of a book by this name? The author? and if it is translated in English? Lastly, where I may buy it to read it?

My friend would not tell me the author, but decided to send me on a quest and search. So far I have only come up with the following:

Author: Nikolai Grech
    Title of book: Notes About My Life

Would this be it? Is there a copy in English somewhere? I found I can order it in Russian. However, time does not permit me to translate every passage in order to read it.

Thank you! =)

PS
    I have read so far by Tolstoy:
    War and Peace
    Anna Karenina
    Resurrection

Just finished reading:
    Nikolai Chernyshevsky's What is to be Done

Any other recommendations on reading Russian literature/

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by emeraldeyez
    PS
    War and Peace
    Anna Karenina
    Resurrection

Just finished reading:
    Did you like anything?

Strugatsky brothers
    Mikhail Bulgakov
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Quote Originally Posted by emeraldeyez
    PS
    War and Peace
    Anna Karenina
    Resurrection

Just finished reading:
    Did you like anything?
    Yes. War and Peace. It was a hard read for me, as prior to this I read more "fluff" than anything. I did that because I wanted to "escape" for a little while and books are like movies to me, just richer and more vibrant.

So when reading War and Peace, it was a way to get "out of the box" or reading "rut" that I was in. I actually had to re-read and go over passages and look back several chapters to understand and make sense of some things.

Anna Karenina was alright. I did not find the book so much about her though. I found it to be more about 2 other characters and thus it created a bit of confusion for me. (to be more honest, having seen the movie (long time ago) really ruined what I "thought" the book was about. The book so so much more, IMHO)

Resurrection - mmmmm - still holding my thoughts on that. May have to give it a re-read.

I actually really liked What Is To Be Done. I liked the way this author wrote and how he kept me interested. I read the book through in one day. I could not put it down. It was interesting how the author would "narrate" or talk to his reading public, then switch back to the story and bring you "into" it.

Strugatsky brothers
    Mikhail Bulgakov
    Thank You!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast