Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: languages

Почтенный гражданин

languages

just a fun question, how many languages do you all speak and what is your approximate level?

i'm fluent in english and spanish, i sort of speak russian and german and i have some knowledge in italian. and i'm french.

my goal is to be fluent in all five.
    my apartment in paris : http://vacation-paris-apartment.com/

Властелин
    I am a very bad students in a very large amount of languages. I am fluent in English, decent in Russian, crappy in German, French, Spanish, Arabic, Latin, Greek (Modern and Ancient), and I can understand if a Chinese person asks me if I'm an American
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

Почтенный гражданин
    Fluent in English and Spanish, I can understand most of what's said in Russian and German. I can get along in Latin and Montenegrin. I know some Arabic and Greek, mostly chants and prayers, but those still count. I also know a bit of Irish, not much but I'm working on it.

Почётный участник
    German, English, Turkish ......currently 40% Russian...but my knowledge of Russian copes with the day...so in a few years I can count Russian as a "fluent" language too
    no pain, no gain

Завсегдатай
    If only V was here . He could wow us all with his swedish fluency. In his memory.

~ Skissa i gissa ! ~ (<----Swedish)
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Завсегдатай
    Fluent English, very good German, good Russian(reading and writing mainly), OK French, conversational Thai, and little bits of Arabic and Chinese. Krobatshov, I'd give you the old "Yay, I'm happy you speak German" greeting, but I'm tired. Do you live in Germany or Turkey?

Почётный участник
    well, i took 2 years of French and got a B...and i speak english...and i have no places to buy russian learning books where i live, and i dont want to buy over the interent... so

Старший оракул
    Tambakis, it's better, I think, to call it 'Irish Gaelic'. I don't think one usually says 'I speak Irish'.
    Personally I don't speak anything anymore. For example, I said to one of my students yesterday '.. It's very interesting place..'

как мне не стыдно !
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Подающий надежды оратор
    English and a little bit of russian.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    Tambakis, it's better, I think, to call it 'Irish Gaelic'. I don't think one usually says 'I speak Irish'.
    Personally I don't speak anything anymore. For example, I said to one of my students yesterday '.. It's very interesting place..'

как мне не стыдно !
    Umm..no. Actually my friend Curran and his family only speak Irish at home and I called it "Irish Gaelic" once. I'll never do that again. I got reemed, not fun.

Почтенный гражданин
    Yeah, a lot of Irish people get quite huffy about that. Definitely "Irish."

Quote Originally Posted by a hypothetical angry Irish nationalist
    Do you call your language "English Germanic"? Hmmmmmm?

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by krobatshov
    ......currently 40% Russian...
    That reminds me a story I once witnessed. A little girl (of kindergarten age) said to her mother's friend: Я знаю половину английского языка. (I know half of the English language).
    Now about myself: Russian (native), English (with some degree of fluency), German and French (very poor, except reading).
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Старший оракул
    Well thanks for that about Irish, I didn't know it.
    I suppose we always used to call it 'Irish Gaelic' and 'Scottish Gaelic' to show that they were somehow related languages. I don't really know nuffin about 'em though.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Новичок
    Ive got okay russian fluent in english spanish, I can communicate bare necessities in German and Japanese and French. I understand written portuguese.

но кокой я крутой!!!

Почтенный гражданин
    i talk Dutch good (im from holland) & very bad english. sorry!!
    Army Anti-Strapjes
    Nay, mats jar tripes
    Jasper is my Tartan
    I am a trans-Jert spy
    Jerpty Samaritans
    Pijams are tyrants
    Jana Sperm Tit Arsy

Завсегдатай
    Friendy and Jasper. Вы чё ?? How can you say your english is not good ? If i would have just met u on the internet somewhere and had no idea of your backrounds, i would never be able to tell that you are not native english speakers ! Maybe your accents are strong, or your reading skills arn't great (but i bet they are ). But i would classify you both as "Fluent" in English. You both use words that i don't even know sometimes .

This reminds me of V. He has been learning english the same amount of time as my german foriegn exchange student. Exept, V talks like a native, with almost no accent, he could easily pass for an american. While my german student had a very thick accent, and made mistakes which were, understandable, but obviously he was foriegn.

Jasper and Friendy, you both speak wonderfully beuatiful english (as beautiful as english can be) and you should be proud of yourselfs.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Старший оракул
    dogboy, ты чччё??

I think Jasper was extracting the urine... he is actually a native speaker. Either that or someone else was using his account.

As to Friendy, she's top notch, considering she's Russian and (I think) hasn't spent a long time in an English speaking country. Her mistakes are rare enough to be noticeable. Hmm, come to think of it, a lot of native speakers make way more mistakes, especially in spelling.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Завсегдатай
    Hmm, come to think of it, a lot of native speakers make way more mistakes, especially in spelling.
    Like me

BTW Jasper is in the netherlands.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    a lot of native speakers make way more mistakes, especially in spelling.
    I agree. In my experience, most native English speakers write poorly in English: poor spilling and poor grammer They don't care to take care. And they don't bother to check their spelling. In contrast, foreign language speakers often put us to shame. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we (in England) have placed less emphasis on learning another language than in Europe, Eastern Europe (wherever that is), the Russian Federation and, well, everywhere else! In learning another language you first have to understand how your own language works. The consequence is that your ability to use language, in general, improves.

Почтенный гражданин
    I was indeed extracting all manner of bodily fluids. I was bored. But thanks for the compliment anyway, Dogboy. Y'know, I did a test at brainbench.com and apparently have a larger vocabulary than 98% of all native English speakers. Was rather pleased wiv meself after zat, you can imagine. Don't know how much significance you should attach to results received from a site that calls itself 'Brainbench' though.
    Army Anti-Strapjes
    Nay, mats jar tripes
    Jasper is my Tartan
    I am a trans-Jert spy
    Jerpty Samaritans
    Pijams are tyrants
    Jana Sperm Tit Arsy

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast