Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chechen bastard Basayev Killed in Southern Russia

Почтенный гражданин
    Humanity must continue to be permitted to make this distinction between the "good guys" and the "bad guys". To not do so is depravity.
    I agree entirely. But doesn't the greatest depravity of all arise when ostensibly decent people, often out of an entirely understandable retributive instinct, sink to the level of the Basayevs and Mussolinis of this world? I think that's the point at which we're done for.

write and wrong
    This just about sums up the illiterate nonsense that is the rest of your post.
    А если отнять еще одну?

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by joysof

write and wrong
    This just about sums up the illiterate nonsense that is the rest of your post.
    Well, at least you are good for something Joysof. Spell-Check didn't pick that up.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

If you so sure about that would you clarity for me what "good" means and what "bad" means.

Can a "good thing" for one be the "bad thing" for another?

Can "good" for one nation be "good" for all nations?

Can "good" for one person be "good" for all persons?

Who wrote where about what good is?

Good - is what people believe in. And different people believe in different things. Every bloodshed in the history of the world intended "for good". Western media behaves as if there were some kind of fixed issues on what democracy is, what freedom is and what good is.
    Every nation wants its neighbours to live the way they consider good. Unfortunately life is not that easy a thing. And the definitions of good and bad are different. Don't ever make the mistake that your opponent whoever that might be shares your opinions on these concepts.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    . But doesn't the greatest depravity of all arise when ostensibly decent people, often out of an entirely understandable retributive instinct, sink to the level of the Basayevs and Mussolinis of this world?
    I agree that it is a problem. But not that it is the "greatest", if these types of retributive instincts and emotions are kept in "check".

The world will never be perfect.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    long post explaining what moral relativism is
    Well, exactly. And so what else do we have to cling to (to stop our brains exploding) in a world where one man's invasion is another man's liberation, if not the belief that, as a previous poster had it, 'War's wrong, m'kay?'?
    А если отнять еще одну?

You are saying that the death of Mussolini is just as bad as the rape, killing and partition of a child aged 6.
    I'm quite aware that that's what I'm saying.
    Well, then why don't you just go out and say it, instead of writing polemics page up and down and trying to insult as many as possible in the process? If you contend that every human life is identical no matter its past history, its potential future, its current frame of mind or how many frequent flyer miles it has gathered, then you are no better than saying "war's wrong, m'kay?"

A whole lot of simplification and generalizing to come with a controversial idea. Which you have not justified yet, btw. Vague finger-pointing towards truisms doesn't cut it, my joyous joysof!

Oh, and it follows, in your point of view, correct me if I am wrong, that war is always wrong, because it kills something or another. Is that the gist of this tirade of yours?
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    writing polemics page up and down and trying to insult as many as possible in the process?
    Why is 'polemic' a dirty word? And it goes without saying that I mean no offence. Except to DDT. To him I mean offence. Anyway (to misquote Mencken), aren't all successful people querulous and bellicose?

A whole lot of simplification and generalizing to come with a controversial idea.
    If my posts were so full of simplification and generalization, I'd hope you'd have caught me out before now. As it is, you haven't met a single one of my contentions head on. It strikes me that you're the one peddling vague, friend. That and perverted recapitulations of my words.

I miss badmanners. There just ain't no substitute for intellectual stamina.

this tirade of yours?
    Who's tirading now?
    А если отнять еще одну?

A whole lot of simplification and generalizing to come with a controversial idea.
    If my posts were so full of simplification and generalization, I'd hope you'd have caught me out before now. As it is, you haven't met a single one of my contentions head on. It strikes me that you're the one peddling vague, friend. That and perverted recapitulations of my words.
    Don't misunderstand me wrong! Your posts aren't simplified, your views are. What do you mean I haven't met a single one of your contentions? I know you don't value the life of kids very much, but I felt like that was the one I did react to. If I recall correctly, you answered all my arguments with jokes.

this tirade of yours?
    Who's tirading now?
    I'm sorry, did you just answer my question with a question? I was really looking forward to a proper answer... oh well, maybe next time!

Почтенный гражданин
    If I recall correctly, you answered all my arguments with jokes.
    Them weren't jokes. Serious points, lightly made.

I was really looking forward to a proper answer...
    War is always wrong. I confess that I approach the subject from the vantage point of a proper old-fashioned turn-the-other-cheek pacifist. (Of course, I'd make an exception for TATY.) How's that for a proper answer to your last question?

Of course, all this misses the point. I'm very conscious that I live in a world of geo-political manoeuvring - and that my little pipe-dreams are little more than...pipe-dreams. But forgive me - I think we were talking about the Northern Caucasus...
    А если отнять еще одну?

Now that is better! You seem like a reasonable fellow who is just out to argue. I can respect that.

I just completely disagree with almost everything you ever said, but I'll survive!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234