Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying Russian Standard Vodka in the USA

Подающий надежды оратор
    ну, бутылка очень красивая. я уверен, что я никогда не смогу назвать какую-нибудь водку вкусной....но от некоторых марк я могу попить без неудовольствия. поэтому, мне образ бутылки не маленький фактор. я бы хотел узнать, продаётся ли праздничная в штатах. а тогда отпразднуем.

Hey Last weekend I had some friends over, with whom I lived in Russia, and I went to our local BevMo (Bevrages and More) and guess what? Russkiy Standart straight from St. Petersburg!!! I bought two bottles! So, they exist!!! At least in Northern California!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Подающий надежды оратор
    oooh russkij standart platinum is my favourite! so difficult to find in London though (well... unless you want to pay 4 times the price)

and the stupid 'no liquids over 100ml on flights going to london' rule stopped me from bringing some back from the duty free shop when i was in russia last week
    (serves me right for not buying it before and putting it in my checked baggage)

Властелин
    Since I'm in Russia, it's so hard for me to imagine a situation in which vodka is at a premium . When I get to thinking about this, the immediate thought that comes to my head is the late 1980s with its "сухой закон". Though back then there was no alcohol at all.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Was there a сухой закон in Russia in the late 80s? I heard something about this, but I thought it was much earlier under брежнев or the likes...

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Was there a сухой закон in Russia in the late 80s? I heard something about this, but I thought it was much earlier under брежнев or the likes...
    Это было при Горбачеве.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

[quote=Оля]
    Quote Originally Posted by "kalinka_vinnie":2p8g7hkt
    Это было при Горбачеве.[/quote:2p8g7hkt]
    Именно при Горбачеве, на апрельском Пленуме ЦК КПСС 1985-го. «О борьбе с пьянством и алкоголизмом».
    Судя по американским фильмам про их Prohibition, у нас был не "сухой закон", а просто искусственное создание дефицита водки и вина. Запрета на продажу не было.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by BappaBa
    у нас был не "сухой закон", а просто искусственное создание дефицита водки и вина. Запрета на продажу не было.
    Да, я тоже думаю, что "сухой закон" - неточное определение.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Perhaps "MASTER ADMINISTRATOR" will ask the "Modern Drunkard Magazine" to intervine
    http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/index.html

I won't ask them to the party.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, "I'll drink with any son of a bitch here"
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Властелин
    If you only knew what impact it had on the USSR's economy, you'd most likely remember the date the сухой закон was adapted for a very long time!
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    If you only knew what impact it had on the USSR's economy, you'd most likely remember the date the сухой закон was adapted for a very long time!
    Positive impact?

Властелин
    [quote=kalinka_vinnie]
    Quote Originally Posted by "kalinka_vinnie":19e9fxue
    Positive impact? [/quote:19e9fxue]
    Quite the opposite, actually! The Soviet economy proved to be considerably dependent on the amount of alcohol its citizens bought. Therefore, when the so-called сухой закон was imposed, the economy went downhill at an amazing and frightening speed. Perhaps, as far as people's health is concerned, the impact of that law can be regarded as positive but in terms of economic indicators and stuff, the law was a failure.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Завсегдатай
    The Soviet economy proved to be considerably dependent on the amount of alcohol its citizens bought. Therefore, when the so-called сухой закон was imposed, the economy went downhill at an amazing and frightening speed.

The Soviet economy proved to be considerably dependent on the amount of oil and gas sold to aboard.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowik
    The Soviet economy proved to be considerably dependent on the amount of alcohol its citizens bought. Therefore, when the so-called сухой закон was imposed, the economy went downhill at an amazing and frightening speed.

The Soviet economy proved to be considerably dependent on the amount of oil and gas sold to aboard.
    That's right. However, being dependent on exports of oil and gas didn't come as a surprise to the government. I don't mean that the government had no figures about the money brought into the budget by vodka and other spirits but at least it's quite natural when a state's economy leans on natural resources whereas dependance on alcohol even looks funny, not to mention what it's like in real life.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Властелин
    The other day I walked into the liquor store and saw some boxes in the back of the store. On them was the writing:

Русский Стандарт

I purchased my first bottle. Put it in my freezer and that night had some. This is the best vodka I've ever had.

Scott

Почтенный гражданин
    I was tricked into drinking vodka once.... couldn't talk for an hour.... or even open my eyes....

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberryfynch
    I was tricked into drinking vodka once.... couldn't talk for an hour.... or even open my eyes....
    Means there is more for me.

Почтенный гражданин
    Yep, I'm glad of it too.... why does it have to look like wonderful cool water, waiting to be gulped?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12