Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in here!

Почётный участник

Re: Favorite movie/book phrases or quotes??

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    I started to watch Master & Margarita ...

.... While I have only finished part one, the opening theme song for Master & Margarita has caught my attention. Does anyone know what it is? Can anyone find it on YouTube, iTunes, Amazon or somewhere else for me? Lampada??? You are the music Queen of the boards... are you reading this thread these days??? Or is it a very famous song and all of ya'll know it right off the bat and can tell me?
    I'm watching it too! I've read the novel and a friend recommended I'd watch the series. I love the music but unfortunately it's nowhere to be found on CD. He has already asked numerous of his Russian friends but no luck yet.

Завсегдатай

In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    If you don't mind, I'll try to put the plot a little more clear for tho[s:37bl84ui]u[/s:37bl84ui]se of you who didn't read the book.
    Basil,

Thank you for all you hard work on that summary. I also found this site which seems to summarize the series episode by episode! http://www.sovlit.com/spies/17moments.html

I love how they call it
    "Works of Soviet Literature summarized for those unable or too lazy to read them in the original."
    They have many other Russian works on there as well, some only in Russian and some in English. So, for those of you practicing your Russian.... you can check it out as well!!! http://www.sovlit.com/sovlinks.html
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Оля

Olya!!! You are fantastic!!! #7 from for Bortko's film, "Into" is the one I was looking for. I have no idea any other information as the rest of the letters did not translate into English ; however, I at least have it now. If someone out there knows the informaiton about the song, please let me know.

Thanks again!
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Завсегдатай

I have no idea any other information as the rest of the letters did not translate into English
    1 - Главная тема (2:11) The main theme
    2 - Вальс на Балу (1:27) Waltz at the ball
    3 - Титры - 6 серия (1:29) Credits, the 6th part
    4 - Титры - 7 серия (1:30) Credits, the 7th part
    5 - Титры - 8 серия (1:35) Credits, the 8th part
    6 - Посвящение Маргариты (4:06) Margarita's initiation
    7 - Intro (2:00) ???
    8 - Музыка к титрам (1:36) Credits music
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Почтенный гражданин

"The main theme (Voland’s hymn)" is eclectic set of three occult formulas: “Sator Arepo tenet opera rotas. Sator Arepo tenet opera rotas. Igne natura renovatur integra. Igne natura renovatur integra. INRI, INRI, Abracadabra, INRI, INRI. INRI, INRI, INRI, INRI, Abracadabra. INRI, INRI, Abracadabra, INRI, INRI. INRI, INRI, INRI, INRI, Abracadabra etc”

Olya!!! I misread your message! I did not realize you found the Yuri Kara's film as well. I read it as you had found the soundtrack to BOTH movies. I went to listen to the second soundtrack and was caught off guard by the page that appeared. You are a great detective!

Of course, now I must be a really big pain and ask if this comes with English subtitles or if I have to hunt them down?

Почтенный гражданин

"Introduction" (введение, вступление).

It sounds better, but is shorter:
    01. Вступление.mp3 (~3Mb)

I can't find the text of this song. I know it bases on church liturgy (Великий пяток), but I hear only "нас сохрани" and can't find Psalter's text like this one.

Почётный участник

Спасибо большое!!!

Завсегдатай

if this comes with English subtitles or if I have to hunt them down?
    The latter, I fear.

Почтенный гражданин

I was quite wrong when said: “is eclectic set…” Interesting, does author of this “song” realize fully, which archetypical wheels are put in motion by these formulas? The heart of the magic and Gnostic tradition is throbbing behind this “spell”. Was it author’s idea, or author was a tool of something? It’s exciting mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Звездочёт
    I was quite wrong when said: “is eclectic set…” Interesting, does author of this “song” realize fully, which archetypical wheels are put in motion by these formulas? The heart of the magic and Gnostic tradition is throbbing behind this “spell”. Was it author’s idea, or author was a tool of something? It’s exciting mystery.
    Звездочёт, to the thread and MR!

You know, I must admit, your first posting left my head spinning and now with your second posting, I feel (as I often do here on MR) undereducated. Terms like "archetypical wheels" and "Gnostic tradition" combined in a music review are lost on me.

Can you (or maybe someone else) explain in "dumbed-down" English to a non-musically educated person what it is you are exactly trying to express?

As for if the music was composed purposefully (with the intent that you are questioning); you would have to match it up with the scene from the movie to see how they fit together. Have you watched this version of M&M? If not, you can find links to it on page 13 of this thread and I also have seen there is now a version out on YouTube.

Почтенный гражданин

I was excited when I was writing it, so “archetypical wheels” is more figurative than literal (also it's a mistake, I think, original: archetype’s wheels, wheels of an archetype). In this case it means (about) “forces”. The “Gnostic tradition” or “Gnosticism” is ancient philosophy, religion and mystic system. Gnosticism is “mother” of the Christianity, but the Gnostic tradition was given a status of heresy, and The Church eradicated it. Some Gnostic conceptions were saved by the occult philosophy and traditions (for examples, by occult cabbala).

When I found the text of the “Main theme” (“Voland’s theme”, “Voland’s hymn”) I was thinking: “It’s the chaotic set of three occult formulas (SATOR, INRI, Abracadabra)”, but then I realized: “All of them point to cabbalistic name Jeshua”. I was shaken by this discovery much.

So, It’s interesting for me: is It a coincidence or It’s author’s plan. I think first (some pointers are very subtle).

[quote=Звездочёт]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Оля":2vb6gg8u
    "Introduction" (введение, вступление).

It sounds better, but is shorter:
    01. Вступление.mp3 (~3Mb)

I can't find the text of this song. I know it bases on church liturgy (Великий пяток), but I hear only "нас сохрани" and can't find Psalter's text like this one.[/quote:2vb6gg8u]

Hi there Звездочёт, when I click on the link (or try to copy and paste it), I just go no where I get a blank page. Would mind reposting the link? Thanks!

Почтенный гражданин

Hi there Звездочёт, when I click on the link (or try to copy and paste it), I just go no where I get a blank page. Would mind reposting the link? Thanks!
    It's strange. Maybe cyrillic symbols prevent you.
    What about it?
    Intro.mp3

The full src: http://mp3forum.com.ua/showtopic81183.html

Ah-ha! Cigarette update....

So, in Part 6 of “17,” Stirlitz is lighting his home fire place and actually uses a piece of kindling to light his cigarette!

Now, Basil, as this one “of those female type” moments in the movie with Gabi and Frau Zaurrch having dinner at his home, I am certain this action by him of NOT using a match, was done in a moment of weakness and is a character flaw that was done in error because of....the female director!

Quote Originally Posted by Звездочёт
    It's strange. Maybe cyrillic symbols prevent you.
    What about it?
    Intro.mp3

The full src: http://mp3forum.com.ua/showtopic81183.html
    Звездочёт... thank you, the full link source worked.

devochka, the full song (very long) from the opening is hidden within track 16, Буря (Storm) on Disk 1.

BTW... a new version of The Master and Margarita in the works????

This is actually over a YEAR old, but it is still listed on Stone Village's Web site as "in Development" and the lastest update on IMDb was 20 February 2009.

From HollywoodReporter.com

Stone Village has 'Master' plan

19 February 2008
    NEW YORK -- Satan comes to Earth in Mikhail Bulgakov's novel The Master and Margarita, and he will return to the big screen in the adaptation from Stone Village Pictures and producer Scott Steindorff.

The Los Angeles-based production company has optioned the late Russian writer's once-banned book, an inspiration for Rolling Stones' Sympathy for the Devil, in a low- to mid-six figure against a low-seven figure deal.

SVP president Steindorff will produce the film. SVP partners Chris Law, Danny Greenspun, Robin Greenspun and execs Scott Lastati and Dylan Russell will executive produce alongside Michael Lang. It's one of several SVP adaptations, including Love in the Time of Cholera and the upcoming True Believer.

Master and Margarita begins in pre-WWII Moscow, where the devil appears as a mysterious man who insinuates himself into a literary crowd. Amid a series of deaths and disappearances, the devil brings together the title characters, a despairing novelist and his devoted but married lover. The story shifts to the setting of the master's rejected novel, Jerusalem in the time of Pontius Pilate, and then to a supernatural world where Satanic forces have taken over Margarita's life.

What does the expression "In this snow-blue world" mean?

Is it the correct English translation for what is being said? It comes at the :40 mark in this scene from Part 7 of "17"

btw.. I just finished part 9! It is gettting MUCH better as it goes on and easier to follow!

[video:edh4o3df]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmNh2xIALc[/video:edh4o3df]

Ah-ha! Cigarette update....

So, in Part 6 of “17,” Stirlitz is lighting his home fire place and actually uses a piece of kindling to light his cigarette!

Now, Basil, as this one “of those female type” moments in the movie with Gabi and Frau Zaurrch having dinner at his home, I am certain this action by him of NOT using a match, was done in a moment of weakness and is a character flaw that was done in error because of....the female director!
    I was often told by my friends when we were sitting near the fire and I was lighting my cigarette from a lighter :"The one who light a cigarette from a lighter near a fire is a spy". I don't know how old this expression, but I can guess the logic of it. It's something like: "Only dumb westerners can do such things, they are overcivilized, they can't imagine their life without WC and toilet paper, and such an easy thing that you can use a fire to light a cigarette instead of lighter will never come to their minds". Of course it's complete foolishness, but this is one of the many russian prejudices about west like westerners believe in bears on the streets of russian cities . There is also some superstition about lighting a cigarette from matches or lighter near a fire. But I'm too lazy for that: you must find some stick first, then put it into the fire and wait while it start to burn and then use it with a risk to burn you eyebrows and eyelashes. I think that to put a hand into a pocket and use a lighter is far more easier.
    So you are right, in this case it was Stirlitz's weakness and he even could fail as a spy, because he demonstrated his russian nature.

What does the expression "In this snow-blue world" mean?

Is it the correct English translation for what is being said?
    Translation is correct and literal. Stirlits is talking with the border gate officer and the border gate is located in Alpes, so it was much snow around. And "blue" means that snow is very clear. You will see the snow when he will return here with pastor.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast