Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in here!

Завсегдатай

Re: Favorite movie/book phrases or quotes??

Speaking about quotes, I have just found out that "Owls are not what they seem" is from Twin Peaks! (I always thought it was from Harry Potter ). Actually, I've only watched a couple episodes from Twin Peaks back when it was aired in Russia for the first time, and never watched any reruns. Tells you about how much I watch TV .

[quote="E-learner"]Guess the line.
    The line is actually given at the end of the clip, but I removed the sound. Are you any good at lip-reading?

E-learner...
    No, however... in my book Valentina can read lips! Where is she when I need her? It appears to be very short whatever it is.
    So, I am batting 0-3 here. Not looking so good.

What is the answer pray tell?
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup
    To put a review, there should be a starting point: what kind of the review you like: for movies you have seen or not.
    Coffee Cup,

To answer your question, any review is fine and I think helpful to people like me (well maybe I should clarify and say, people who actually are actively learning Russian… I am the odd person out on this forum) as well as good for discussion and friendly debate.

I know that based upon some of the suggestions and reviews from this thread, I have watched movies and started reading books (hopefully will finish and read more) that I ordinarily NEVER would have seen or read simply because I was not aware of them or they did not seem interesting to me until someone else showed them to me through their eyes.

Additionally, having a different point of view on a film that I have seen is often helpful in explaining details and nuances that I (and others) would never get because we were not raised with the history to understand these subtleties. Just as we have seen on this thread with the American TV shows or movies that "you" might not understand the connections or references.

So, your review of Kin Dza Dza was very fascinating to me and well detailed. You did a fantastic job of it!

I welcome you and others to post small or long reviews. Ask questions about American films, books or TV shows from me or others here if you have questions (even though E-learner is making me look bad right now).

AND once again, while I know it might be difficult for some of you to write in English, please just do your best at it and don’t let it stop you from participating on this thread.
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Старший оракул

The line is "Let's get outta here." Yesterday, I heard it again.

Ok, the next one. Guess what movie this is a reference to:

[video:25k2kut1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KPiGZFS4Yg[/video:25k2kut1]

Старший оракул

The answer is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gb0mxcp ... re=related

It might easily be the most impressive ending among the movies I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by E-learner
    The answer is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gb0mxcp ... re=related

It might easily be the most impressive ending among the movies I have ever seen.
    Dr. Strangelove, yet another movie I have never seen!

Okay, here is one for you and this one should be easy for you as you seem to be very good at this game...what film is being recreated in this "Tonight, Tonight - The Smashing Pumpkins" music video? BTW, it was one of the first films I had to watch in film school!

[video:3ejwyw09]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsZYqaSc4cU&feature=related[/video:3ejwyw09]

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    Dr. Strangelove, yet another movie I have never seen!
    One more reference then, just in case.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oezFM5foB7U

this one should be easy for you as you seem to be very good at this game...
    Come on, I've seen only a handful of American movies, and part of them were British.
    This is my grudge against The Simpsons, that it is so heavily loaded with allusions. You never know where they are just being not funny and where it is a clever, or not so clever as the case may be, reference to something.

Anyway, your link didn't work for me ("This video is not available in your country"), but I think this is about the same, isn't it?
    No, I don’t think I’ve seen that. Something Jules Vernian?

Come on, I've seen only a handful of American movies, and part of them were British.
    No, I don’t think I’ve seen that. Something Jules Vernian?
    Ahhh, E-learner... see... you are very good at this game ... you get partial credit because it was based upon two books, one of them being... "From the Earth to the Moon" by Jules Verne.

The film is neither American nor British... it is FRENCH!

Anyway, your link didn't work for me ("This video is not available in your country"), but I think this is about the same, isn't it?
    Yes, your Spanish subtitled version was the same. Why they blocked a YouTube video is beyond me!

Here is the answer then....

"Le voyage dans la lune" or "A Trip to the Moon" by Georges Melies from 1902! (just think my Nana was one year old when this came out and she is still alive!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Trip_to_the_Moon

[video:38r41tez]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI9OaZHxk64[/video:38r41tez]

Старший оракул

rockzmom
    I must admit that although I most certainly haven't watched that film in it's entirety, I have no less certainly seen fragments of it.
    You see, Jules Verne is a very well known author around here and, although I can't say what it is like now, there used to be enough of films and cartoons on TV, based on his works.
    There were also “popular science” films and programmes about science, history of science, technology and so on, and they were illustrated, occasionally, by fragments of films. “A Trip to the Moon” might make its way into one of those. Or into something about history of cinema or literature.

By the tone of your message, I can only guess that Jules Verne isn’t that well known in America. Wikipedia seems to confirm that my conjecture:
    “… his reputation in English-speaking countries suffered for a long time as a result of poor translation.”
    “… even today Verne's work has not been fully rehabilitated in the English-speaking world.”

And now for something, though not completely, different.
    The first American film that registered in my memory - I was a teenager then and watched it at a soviet cinema - happened to be about interplanetary trip – to Mars. Only there was no trip, there was a scene of Mars staged in a studio and translated by TV. Someone got suspicious, began to dig for information and got hunted by FBI or CIA or somebody.
    The reason I remembered it was that I was shocked by the notion that Americans were allowed to make such “subversive” films. I must have been an uncharacteristically politically aware child.
    I’m just curious, rockzmom, have you watched that film?
    Here's a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf8kdmw7vQc

rockzmom
    I must admit that although I most certainly haven't watched that film in [s:2q2yukgy]it's[/s:2q2yukgy] its entirety, I have no less certainly seen fragments of it.
    You see, Jules Verne is a very well known author around here and, although I can't say what it is like now, there used to be enough of films and cartoons on TV, based on his works.
    There were also “popular science” films and programmes about science, history of science, technology and so on, and they were illustrated, occasionally, by fragments of films. “A Trip to the Moon” might make its way into one of those. Or into something about history of cinema or literature.

By the tone of your message, I can only guess that Jules Verne isn’t that well known in America. Wikipedia seems to confirm that my conjecture:
    “… his reputation in English-speaking countries suffered for a long time as a result of poor translation.”
    “… even today Verne's work has not been fully rehabilitated in the English-speaking world.”
    For me, I would have to agree; however, I was not much of a reader growing up. I am making up for lost time in that area as well as my Russian Films! I can tell you that my younger daughter read a book over the summer, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick and this book too had photos from “A Trip to the Moon” and when I saw it I immediately remembered them from the movie and showed her the film on You Tube. Later in the book, the author does weave the film into the story line.

And a side note, Hubby (remember, he grew up in El Salvador) knows of Jules Verne and books; yet, never read them. So maybe he is just more popular in other countries, even Spanish speaking ones!

I’m just curious, rockzmom, have you watched that film?
    Here's a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf8kdmw7vQc
    YES! Finally, and I knew your answer before I even finished reading your question!

Capricorn One, had of course huge film stars, well... one we should not classify as an actor... O.J. Simpson!! I remember this film very well for the concept that OMG could we have really not gone to the moon? Is it all fake? I would have been around 14 when it came out; yet I think I saw it on TV and not in the theater. But it is interesting to hear what you thought about us Americans making such a film. I think here it just fed into the "Two Gunman on the grassy knoll" theory as well.

Then in film school, one of the teams made a short film similar to Capricorn One with the idea that the astronaut ejected from his capsule and then had to get back to base before dark and all the along the way were of course obstacles. In the end he failed to get back to base before dark and then... they pulled back to reveal that it was actually a video game being played and it said "Game Over" on the screen. It was very well done short project and clever for its time which would have been in early 1980s.

Coffecup.. just so you know, we are not alone in not seeing the Godfather!
    I have done it! I have seen the "Godfather".

The time has come, and today I can't say that the movie have impressed me much. May be there is some influence of expectation of most valuable movie in the world. If I were not expecting too much the movie would probably impress me more. I seen the Godfather by TV and the movie was repeated on the next day at early time. I caught the begin of the movie and found out that seeing the movie becomes easier and more over the funny acceptance of the famous quotes have appeared (may be due to eliminated expectation).

The movie was made as a video copy of the bestseller. The way to retelling the book was not focused to an action or mood delivery. It seems that only the dialogs were chosen to be shown to spectators. Even the scene with the horse head in the producers bad looks like a dialog between the producer and the head cut (in the Hamlet style). As seen today, this "dialogs only" approach was accepted by Mikhalkov in most of his movies.

As to the story line I have not find out that the Michael (Al Pacino – the Don Corleone son) was really giving up the family business in the begin of the story as was noted in all summaries. What I seen was that Michael was trying to assure himself in this, while deeply in his mind he was enjoyed it. This mind tearing makes him more violent Don than his father was. I have not read the book, so I don't know if this character was supposed to be like this or it was the performance of Al Pacino.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Почётный участник

Today I happened to watch this video and remembered about movie "Guest from the Future" (Гостья из будущего). I have very powerful fellings about it (Its almost make me cry), and I want to ask you some questions.
    Do you feel something special while watching this story or not? Maybe want to share something?
    What you think about Kir Bulychev (Кир Булычёв) books about Alice Selezneva (Алиса Селезнёва)?
    For me It's not just an old science fiction movie, it's much more. It's kind of history, it's a remembering of my youth, 80th.
    [video:2nso1jb8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWSxev7eJvs[/video:2nso1jb8]
    ps. One of the most famous phrase from this movie is: "Алиса, миелофон у меня!"/"Alice, I've got a mielofon!"

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Shurick
    It_ almost makes me cry), and I want to ask you some questions.
    Do you feel something special while watching this story or not? Maybe you want to share something?
    What do you think about Kir Bulychev (Кир Булычёв) books about Alice Selezneva (Алиса Селезнёва)?
    For me it's not just an old science fiction movie, it's much more. It's kind of history, it's a remembering of my youth, 80th.

ps. One of the most famous phrases from this movie is: "Алиса, миелофон у меня!"/"Alice, I've got a mielophone!"
    I love this movie, too!
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Shurick
    ps. One of the most famous phrases from this movie is: "Алиса, миелофон у меня!"/"Alice, I've got a mielophone!"
    True.
    The others are "I was focused so much on taking the run, that I forgot to jump" and "Boy, do you want "Jiguly" (a soviet automobile)? Imagine, you are such a young boy, and already have "Jiguly" (-> intergalactic villains were trying to make the hero to betray Alica).
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    I love this movie, too!
    The song from this movie is one of the children movies "classics", and sertainly is one of the most inspiring and lyrical. I almost feel like crying when I listen to it even now.
    I never was a big fan of the movie, though. Probably because every time I was watching it my Grandma was sitting nearby repeating "What an ugly boy! OMG, what an ugly boy!". It really breaks the mood.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Probably because every time I was watching it my Grandma was sitting nearby repeating "What an ugly boy! OMG, what an ugly boy!".
    Ha ha ha
    Did she mean Коля Герасимов, the main hero? I don't think he's ugly... His appearance is not standard, but interesting.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

There are not are not enough adjectives to describe how I feel right now! I am crushed, heartbroken; an arrow has pierced my heart....

GalaBiR from You Tube has been suspended and all of his movies have been removed due to terms of use violation! Luckily, I downloaded several of them to watch at later date; however, some of them I had not!

I just went there to look to see if he might have "Guest from the Future" with English subtitles (as you all had glowingly fond memories of it and IMDb had good reviews as well) and found out this horrific news! My primary source of Russian movies is now gone! Whatever shall I do??

It is indeed a sad day in this household and for this thread. It matches the rainy cold weather we have outside.

So, Shurick & gRomoZeka.. you can cry with me as I listen to the song that I have no idea what the words mean yet is very lovely... a big group hug and cry.

Завсегдатай

(Edited.)
    Okay, never mind.

Подающий надежды оратор

Hi! I agree with all russians here, because the films you have mentioned are my favourite too!
    But: All these film are classical russian films. Everyone here, in Russia and other USSR republics, knows these films and uses frases from it.
    As I've understood you're writing a book for your daughter(I'm also a teenager) so some teenagers here, in Russia, have never seen these films ( it depends on parents). And all teenagers watch new films (absolutely all of them are from USA and Europe)
    I mean, that russian cinematograph contains of many other films, not only Soviet. So russian people watch absolutely all Usa films + some creations of russian directors ( Michalkov and Bondarchuk are most advertised). I think you should watch some new russian films, if you want you Dimitriy to be smart

Quote Originally Posted by azure
    Hi! I agree with all of the Russians here, because the films you have mentioned are my favourite too!
    But: All these film are classical russian films. Everyone here, in Russia and other USSR republics, knows these films and uses phrases from [s:1pf13926]it[/s:1pf13926]them.
    As I[s:1pf13926]'ve understood[/s:1pf13926] understand, you're writing a book for your daughter (I'm also a teenager) so some teenagers here, in Russia, have never seen these films (it depends on their parents). And all teenagers watch new films (absolutely all of them are from USA and Europe).
    I mean, that Russian cinematography contains (I would say ... is comprised of) [s:1pf13926]of[/s:1pf13926] many other films, not only Soviet. So Russian people watch absolutely all USA films + some creations of Russian directors ( Michalkov and Bondarchuk are most advertised). I think you should watch some new Russian films, if you want your Dimitriy to be smart.
    azure!

Hello and greetings! A new voice to this thread... and a young one!!! I did watch Volkodav (Wolfhound), Волкодав, and the Watch series. What others would you recommend to me either Russian or non-Russian?

What is popular with the 22- and under age group?

Also, if you would not mind telling me (you can send me a PM if you like), please let me know, are you male or female? This helps me to better understand your responses.

Thank you so very much for speaking up and giving your opinions! It means a great deal to me.

rockzmom!

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Did she mean Коля Герасимов, the main hero? I don't think he's ugly... His appearance is not standard, but interesting.
    Yes. I didn't find him appealing when I was a kid either (I liked Vasechkin ), but I understand what you mean. He had an interesting face, an individuality, unlike many modern commercially attractive "clones".
    PS. Сочувствую с Ютуб! Очень обидно.

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast