Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Religion in Russia and the ex-Soviet countries

Hanna
    Such an interesting discussion... I am following it, but I haven't got much to add myself. Just interesting to read the responses! Thanks Iorka, for answering each one of my questions separately.

The modern situation with religion in Russia and the ex USSR is really rather contradictory, I think.

One thing that nobody mentioned is that perhaps one of the reasons many are religious today is that things genuinely were very volatile and hard for many, particularly in the 1990s. Perhaps some turned to faith for the first time in their lives during this period, and remained religious since. A Russian woman told me something to that extent, although I am not sure I understood everything she said perfectly, I might have misunderstood.

On what to do in a religious service which is not your own branch of Christianity.... I think Throbert takes a very uncompromising stance! It is quite possible to just play along a bit. I don't see how any of us who actually do have faith can be 100% certain that the particular denomination we were born into is the right one. I wouldn't take communion in a Catholic church because it might offend some serious Catholics (I am Lutheran).

Orthodox Christianity seems even more ritualistic than Catholicism.... You really have to know what is about to happen and what to do to follow along! I got very self conscious about not walking into churches without covering my head, when I was in Eastern Europe. It just felt a bit insensitive, both to the locals and possibly to God (it's actually in the Bible).

My final comment is about Stalin. In many ways he seems to have been the least "orthodox" communist of all the Soviet leaders. He just went ahead and did as he pleased, without worrying about what communist doctrine would have to say about his plans. For example making religion acceptable again during the war. In this particular question I think he was right though.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post

One thing that nobody mentioned is that perhaps one of the reasons many are religious today is that things genuinely were very volatile and hard for many, particularly in the 1990s. Perhaps some turned to faith for the first time in their lives during this period, and remained religious since. A Russian woman told me something to that extent, although I am not sure I understood everything she said perfectly, I might have misunderstood.
    I know many rather young people of about 30-40 who are religious and raise their children as Orthodox. Most of them have absolutely atheist parents or their parents came to the Church after them following their grown up children. And many of them told me that they were influenced by their religious grannies and when the freedom came they could choose their faith recalling that childish experience.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mishau_ View Post
    Самое ужасное, когда человек ни во что не верит и не желает уверовать, но говорит себе: ладно, пойду, поучаствую в этом спектакле.
    Миша, я только буду наказан, а ты походу уже наказан.

Я крестился только один раз. Когда прощался со своей мамой в крематории. Поп читает, певчие поют, нас всех трясёт и слёзы из глаз.

А то, что ты, не зная обстоятельств происшествия, применил ко мне данную цитату ("ладно, пойду, поучаствую в этом спектакле"), говорит о том, что ты не любишь людей, и рад предположить у них самые худшие мыслишки и мотивы поведения. И после этого ты называешь себя верующим? Наша вера говорит "возлюби ближнего своего". (Вытерто. Л.)
    Last edited by Lampada; September 19th, 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Личный вопрос

Quote Originally Posted by Юрка View Post
    Миша, я только буду наказан, а ты походу уже наказан.

Я крестился только один раз. Когда прощался со своей мамой в крематории. Поп читает, певчие поют, нас всех трясёт и слёзы из глаз.

А то, что ты, не зная обстоятельств происшествия, применил ко мне данную цитату ("ладно, пойду, поучаствую в этом спектакле"), говорит о том, что ты не любишь людей, и рад предположить у них самые худшие мыслишки и мотивы поведения. И после этого ты называешь себя верующим? Наша вера говорит "возлюби ближнего своего". (Вытерто. Л.)?
    Вот и возлюби!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    Вот и возлюби!
    Издеваетесь?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12