Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Pimsleur - to visit

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    241
    Rep Power
    9

    Pimsleur - to visit

    I'm trying to figure out what word Pimsleur is using for 'to visit' here. It doesn't sound like any of the verbs my dictionary lists for 'to visit.' The English translation for what's being said here is "I'm going to visit a few friends." Я собираюсь _ нескольких знакомых.

    Thanks,

    Grogs

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mowcow, Russia
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    12
    The word is "Посетить."

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Pimsleur - to visit

    Quote Originally Posted by Grogs
    It doesn't sound like any of the verbs my dictionary lists for 'to visit.'
    May I ask, which words lists your dictionary?
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  4. #4
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    241
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Pimsleur - to visit

    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogs
    It doesn't sound like any of the verbs my dictionary lists for 'to visit.'
    May I ask, which words lists your dictionary?
    It lists the imperfective forms: навещать и посещать.

    I guess the thing that threw me the most was the first vowel. I thought it sounded like an "ы." As I understand the "o" should be doubly reduced 2 syllables before the stress, but (to me) the "по-" in "посетить" sounds different than the one in "почему." Is that just my imagination or is there some reason for that?

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Pimsleur - to visit

    Quote Originally Posted by Grogs
    As I understand the "o" should be doubly reduced 2 syllables before the stress
    That's right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grogs
    but (to me) the "по-" in "посетить" sounds different than the one in "почему." Is that just my imagination or is there some reason for that?
    Hm.. I think it's just your imagination
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mowcow, Russia
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Pimsleur - to visit

    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogs
    As I understand the "o" should be doubly reduced 2 syllables before the stress
    That's right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grogs
    but (to me) the "по-" in "посетить" sounds different than the one in "почему." Is that just my imagination or is there some reason for that?
    Hm.. I think it's just your imagination
    In fact, pronunciation of reduced vowels can vary from speaker to speaker and from situation to situation. Some people do tend to pronounce them somewhat like a very short "ы".

Similar Threads

  1. Visit to St Petersburg
    By oliphant in forum Travel and Tourism
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 17th, 2009, 10:40 AM
  2. my second visit to Moscow
    By Орчун in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 21st, 2008, 05:20 PM
  3. visit
    By Dimitri in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: April 21st, 2006, 10:20 PM
  4. Old Pimsleur vs Newer Pimsleur
    By demoiselle in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 7th, 2006, 10:04 PM
  5. Gifts for a visit
    By American in forum Travel and Tourism
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: March 28th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary