Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Russians and Bosnians

Подающий надежды оратор
    I do think Zagreb is brilliant
    I am sorry but i do not know what you mean by cases or the other one (!), i was taught Croatian at a young age, my mother spoke to me in it, so i grew up bi-lingual, but if you asked me to write an essay in Croatian i wouldnt get very far. I can spell and write and everything but really i need to go to a Croatian school, or do what my father did in Zagreb. He learnt the language at a School of foreign languages in Zagreb, and he got money by doing Engish classes there.

al
    Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    does Croatian have any cases or declensions?
    It has.
    Хорошо не просто там где нас нет, а там где нас никогда и не было.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefani
    Zrakoplov is aeroplane, hehehe, why is that funny?!! Can someone tell me, i do not know due to my ignorance, but when i am in croatia, we call the airport 'aerodrom' which you would expect i guess, but in Zagreb the actual airport sign says 'Zracna Luka' (with an accent on the c making it a 'ch' sound)....When i ask relatives they never give me a straight answer!
    :P
    New words are being coined in Croatia in order to artificially broaden the gap between Serbian and Croatian.

OK, it's been a while since anybody responded on this topic. But don't think this topic is dead. I've just met two different people from former Yugoslavia and I'm getting an impression that Slavic people are very close together overall. I can only be sorry about the fatal circumstances in Bosnia in the early '90s.
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterAdmin
    OK, it's been a while since anybody responded on this topic. But don't think this topic is dead. I've just met two different people from former Yugoslavia and I'm getting an impression that Slavic people are very close together overall. I can only be sorry about the fatal circumstances in Bosnia in the early '90s.
    Have you spoken to any Polish people about Russia lately ? )))

Quote Originally Posted by garmonistka
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterAdmin
    Have you spoken to any Polish people about Russia lately ? )))
    Yeah, I know they hate Russians. But things are getting better with younger generations who don't have an eye on Russians because of the former USSR policy.

Подающий надежды оратор
    I am loving this post

I am Croatian-Bosnian, living in Malta and studying Russian (must be some record for complicative living) so I might be able to give a different perspective to what was initially asked.

Bosnians are by nature really friendly, down to earth people, who instead of hating the world for their misfortunes prefer to laugh it off and use humour to keep going. they rarely look down on any cultures (although they'll joke about them hehe)

Croats, and I'm not ashamed to admit this, think they rule, palin and simple, and while they love to travel (Croats only need visas for the UK and USA), meet different people etc, but they've got a strong sense of identity and usually take great pride in their nationality.

I'm gonna be honest here. Croats aren't crazy about Russians at all, always look at them from the corner of their eye like someone else said and don't exactly place great trust in them.
    However, I've met quite a few Russian tourists in Croatia who loved the place and never had any problems at all.

Onto the language side. Croatian, like in Czech, has the 'vocative' case and the grammer is extremely complicated. In my opinion, Croatian would be much harder to learn than Russian (plus Russian is spoken slower and is more melodic) and I've never had problems understanding my Russian friends. They on the other hand, usually only understand about 30 % of Croatian, which gives me the opportunity to be quite evil at times

That's it from me
    'Only the best people fight against all obstacles in pursuit of happiness'

"...everywhere he goes, including where he lives, also strikes him as foreign; the point is, he's always the foreigner." ~ John Irving

Новичок
    I'll agree that the newer Polish generations don't have a dislike for the Russians. I'm of Polish descent and I spend just about all my time with my friend who is Russian (her dad works for a local company).

I've never noticed any dislike between her family and my parents.

On a different note, how similar are Russian and Polish. My friend claims she can understand my father when he speaks Polish but he says that he can't understand a thing she says.
    Understanding now to know tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayita
    I am loving this post

I am Croatian-Bosnian, living in Malta and studying Russian (must be some record for complicative living) so I might be able to give a different perspective to what was initially asked.

Bosnians are by nature really friendly, down to earth people, who instead of hating the world for their misfortunes prefer to laugh it off and use humour to keep going. they rarely look down on any cultures (although they'll joke about them hehe)

Croats, and I'm not ashamed to admit this, think they rule, palin and simple, and while they love to travel (Croats only need visas for the UK and USA), meet different people etc, but they've got a strong sense of identity and usually take great pride in their nationality.

That's it from me
    Mayita, that's good to have an opinion from the first source Did you happen to meet westernized or americanized bosnians? How do they become different if at all?

I know Russians become different when they move to live in the US, but I'd have to start a different thread to discuss it.

On a different note, how similar are Russian and Polish. My friend claims she can understand my father when he speaks Polish but he says that he can't understand a thing she says.
    I wouldn't understand any Polish just knowing Russian. I can only guess that Polish have more exposure to the Russian language than Russians do have with Polish. And that might be the reason Polish understand more Russian.

Mihkkal

declensions

Whatever 'declensions' is, this grammatical term seems to be called something else in my language... because I've never heard of it. Can someone briefly explain what declensions are about?

Почтенный гражданин
    The case system in Russian does two things. First, it marks the grammatical functions of nouns which are indicated by word order in English, that is, the subject, object and indirect object of the sentence. (This means that these nouns are free to be ordered almost anywhere in the sentence since their function is clearly indicated by their form.) Second, cases mark certain adverbial functions such as the time, manner, and means of carrying our an action, which are marked by prepositions in English, e.g. by hand, on Friday, with enthusiasm This function leads to the case system being associated with prepositions

http://www.departments.bucknell.edu/rus ... /case.html

Подающий надежды оратор
    Mayita, that's good to have an opinion from the first source Did you happen to meet westernized or americanized bosnians? How do they become different if at all?

I know Russians become different when they move to live in the US, but I'd have to start a different thread to discuss it.

I had to laugh at your first question, since there are thousands of Bosnian jokes which involve a typical Bosnian moving to America
    Half of Bosnia must be in America by now. There's no other way to explain this because every Bosnian (including me) has family living there, as well as Germany. In my time (ok, I'm 19, but experience doesn't really have much to do with age in the Balkans) I've met all kinds of Bosnians.

Many people I knew dreamt about living in America every night, only to hate the place and claim to be dying of nostalgia once they got there. Most Bosnian parents are quite protective of their kids, so that the running around till 5 am they used to do back home was now out of the question.
    The effects of war now have such a broad sociological aspect that it's impossible for me to explain in a few lines, but hey, I'll try

In my opinion, it all depends what age the people were when they left for the west. The adults, who were forced to leave, generally cannot wait to make a bunch of money, go back to Bosnia and build their house again, if it was destroyed (my family are doing this.) Other adults I know are waiting till they're eligible for pension, and then move back home.

The kids who left generally look at their country of origin as the Promised Land and wait and wait to go back home. Bosnians and Croats are usually very nostalgic people (me being prime example #1) and not many leave the country and never return, though I also know people from this category.

The only problem I have with emigration etc is when the children are not taught their language of origin. Usually Bosnian/Croatian parents teach their kids the language at an early age and it's usually a "scandal" if this doesn't happen to be the case. Funniest thing is that you also have kids born in say, America, who have never been to Bosnia, speaking English with a Bosnian accent. You have to love their sense of identity

And yes, one other thing I've realised is that many of them think they don't belong anywhere. In America, they're Bosnians, while in Bosnia, they are called Americans, but this is usually done to tease and annoy the poor kids

What aelse can I say? We're a messed up nation, both in the countries and outside of them
    'Only the best people fight against all obstacles in pursuit of happiness'

"...everywhere he goes, including where he lives, also strikes him as foreign; the point is, he's always the foreigner." ~ John Irving

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    ZAGREB!!!!! I want to go there sometime. Just because the name sounds very exciting. Stefani, tell us, does Croatian have any cases or declensions?
    I can tell that all three - Serbian, Bosnian, Croatian - have a full system of declension like in Russian and and most other Slavic languages. Their nouns and adjectives are changed by gender (masculine, feminine), number (singular, plural), and case (6 cases like in Russian, plus the 7th, vocative, case for nouns, primarily proper names). Some noun and adjective endings are the same as in Russian or Old Slavonic, others have been modified in pronunciation over centuries.

Needless to say this declension system is the same between these three Yugoslav languages.
    За ночь под свинцовым градом,
    За то, что меня нет рядом,
    Ты прости, сестра моя, Югославия...
    (Лена Катина, будущая "татушка", 1999 г.)

I have a friend who is from Yugoslavia. She is awesome and her family is very friendly towards Russians. Her dad worked in both Moscow and St. Petersburg and now my friend wants to visit St. Pete because she thinks it is a very beautiful city! And yes, I can understand a number of words when she speaks Serbian. I agree that other slavic languages sound like a parody of Russian to me. But similarly, does Russian sound as a parody of Serbian to a Serb?

Yeah, I know they hate Russians. But things are getting better with younger generations who don't have an eye on Russians because of the former USSR policy.
    In return some Russians think Polish people have an inferiority complex because they always display their nationality publically (Polish flags on their cars etc)
    Свет
    С утра запутается в шторах и цветах,
    Которые ты забываешь поливать.
    Тебя не радуют весна и пение птах,
    Ведь снова ты должна любовь свою порвать,
    Ведь снова ты должна...

Завсегдатай
    If you watch behind enemy lines, i think they are speaking serbian... i could understand nearly everything they were sayign without looking at the subtitles...
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин
    If you watch No Man's Land, they speak Serbian alot as well.

Почтенный гражданин
    Anyone else had high volume on that movie while they were talking and then almost got a heart-attack, when they fired off some artilleryfire!???
    I looked like this for half an hour after
    Листьев не обожгло, Веток не обломало
    День промыт как стекло, только этого мало

Завсегдатай
    Unlike most americans, i do not have a high quality TV, or surround sound speakers, so i am not fortunate enough to be able to be scared liek you . It sounds like a good idea though

BTW if i had a system like that, i'd watchsaving private ryan 25 times a day.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Новичок
    Bosanci su dobro prema svima. Evo, ja sam došao iz Njemačke i poslije godinu dana nisam se ni htio vratiti tamo i napustiti Sarajevo. Moja raja je bila svih vjera i nacija: Bošnjaci, Srbi, Turci, Hrvati.

For all who didn't understand: Bosnians are very nice to every kinds of strangers. I came from Germany for one year and at the end of that year I didn't want to leave Sarajevo. My friends were of all religions and nationalities: Bosnian muslims, Serbs, Turkish people and Croats.

Come to Bosnia-Herzegovina and you will see!!!

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by astarz41
    I have a friend who is from Yugoslavia. She is awesome and her family is very friendly towards Russians. Her dad worked in both Moscow and St. Petersburg and now my friend wants to visit St. Pete because she thinks it is a very beautiful city! And yes, I can understand a number of words when she speaks Serbian. I agree that other slavic languages sound like a parody of Russian to me. But similarly, does Russian sound as a parody of Serbian to a Serb?
    I must say that most of Serbian people feel the same for Russians...
    That's probably because of the conection that existed, and still exist between our two nations.
    Russians and Serbs are conected through religion, letter, culture, more then shall I say Croats, Poles.
    I learn Russian in school, and I must say that Russian sometimes looks very funny to me.
    Many words are the same but have very different meaning, and that's the most funniest thing.
    Не могу све битке да се добијају. Рат не добија онај који оће све битке да добије него онај који уме паметно да их губи.
    Драгослав Михајловић

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast