Thread: не могу перевести предложенице

Dr.
    Почётный участник

не могу перевести предложенице

And when, having by the end of evening lost a good deal of money to me, she said she would send me a cheque and never did, I could not but think that I and not she should have worn a pathetic expression when next we met.

Помогите с переводом ........ и еще меня интересует вот эта часть "having by the end of evening lost a good deal of money to me" - если дословно переводить то у меня получается след-ее: "имея к концу вечера потерю большого колличества денег" или "потеряв большое кол-во денег к концу вечера" но в любом случае мне не понятно зачем тут "to me" вроде и так понятно, что это он теряет деньги .............??? Или скорее всего я упускаю какой-то момент грамматики!?
    Заранее пасибо!!!!

Властелин

Re: не могу перевести предложенице

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.
    And when, having by the end of evening lost a good deal of money to me, she said she would send me a cheque and never did, I could not but think that I and not she should have worn a pathetic expression when next we met.
    Тут скорее всего имеется в виду, что она проиглала ему деньги в какую-нибудь азартную игру:
    И когда к концу вечера, проиграв мне большую сумму, она сказала, что пришлет мне чек, чего не произошло, я не мог не подумать о том, что при нашей следующей встрече несчастное выражение лица должно быть у меня, а не у неё.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Dr.
    Почётный участник
    Теперь все встало на свои места .............. пасибо !!!

Re: не могу перевести предложенице

Quote Originally Posted by Friendy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.
    Тут скорее всего имеется в виду, что она проиглала ему деньги в какую-нибудь азартную игру:
    И когда к концу вечера, проиграв мне большую сумму, она сказала, что пришлет мне чек, чего не произошло, я не мог не подумать о том, что при нашей следующей встрече несчастное выражение лица должно быть у меня, а не у неё.
    не знаю, если "несчастное" равным "pathetic". когда я читал это предложение по-английски, мне казалось что он именно стыдился на это... поэтому не лучше писать "жалькое"?
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I am not surprised that you were having such a hard time time translating that sentence. It is so poorly written in English that it barely makes any sense at all!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Завсегдатай
    And when, having by the end of the evening lost a good deal of money to me, she said she would send me a cheque and never did, I could not but think that I and not she should have worn a pathetic expression when next we met.
    Так, предложение отнюдь не странновато. Если бы носитель языка читал это предложение в контексте, то не было бы никакой проблемы с пониманием.

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    I am not surprised that you were having such a hard time time translating that sentence. It is so poorly written in English that it barely makes any sense at all!
    It must be from the British text: "если бы, да кабы..." Americans use a much more simple composition..
    Also, in American English it is a check, and not a cheque
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.