Thread: two more questions

Увлечённый спикер

two more questions

1. I'm not clear with using "dummy" and "effigy". Can anybody help.

2. I found out that there is a diminutive suffix "kin" in English, like in "lumbkin". How common it is, because I've never heard it. And can I substitude it for the suffix "y". For example, dollkin instead of dolly.
    "Сталевары, ваша сила - в плавках!"

Подающий надежды оратор

Re: two more questions

Quote Originally Posted by chubby
    1. I'm not clear with using "dummy" and "effigy". Can anybody help.
    "Effigy" usually has a much more limited usage. An effigy is usually a symbol of someone you hate. For example: To burn an effigy. Usually you burn an effigy of someone you hate to symbolize your hatred for them. I've never heard effigy used in any other way, but I guess it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by chubby
    2. I found out that there is a diminutive suffix "kin" in English, like in "lumbkin". How common it is, because I've never heard it. And can I substitude it for the suffix "y". For example, dollkin instead of dolly.
    It must not be used often. I didn't know it existed.
    Possibly it is used on certain words that we no longer use without it so it's not really a suffix. I can't think of any, though. Any other English speakers here heard of it?

Tim.
    Не знаю.

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by TronDD
    Any other English speakers here heard of it?
    First time I've ever heard that... Although it sounds like something that would be used in fairy tales. Or maybe it's outdated or maybe something of Brittish orgin. Beats me.

Oh and the dummy thing can mean a few things like "The man was a hit with his dummy" or "your a dummy" but the “your a dummy” thing is usually used by little kids. Another way of saying your dumb.
    <life>Leon S. Kenedy</life>

Почтенный гражданин
    He said 'English speakers', not American ones. In English the suffix '-kin' is considered archaic, but it's still used in 'mannikin', 'lambkin' and 'napkin'.
    Army Anti-Strapjes
    Nay, mats jar tripes
    Jasper is my Tartan
    I am a trans-Jert spy
    Jerpty Samaritans
    Pijams are tyrants
    Jana Sperm Tit Arsy

JB
    Старший оракул
    Get out your Webster's guys......
    effigy= a likeness or copy of ,ie a portrait, statue, doll

"His effigy (a statue in his likeness or image) stood in the park".

"The protesters burned him in effigy." (they burned a doll that was supposed to represent him)

An effigy is not necessarily an identical copy, it can be anything used to represent someone. A crudely made voodoo doll is an effigy.

dummy= a figure made in human form (usually 3 dimensional)
    this can be a manikin used for display of clothes, a doll used by a ventriloquist, a stuffed figure used for practice in some sports such as fencing or American football.

dummy(slang)= someone who is stupid and has no brain(like the dummys mentioned above).

-kin= a suffix meaning "little" (yes this is common in English language), but it does not take the place of a "y" ending. This ending is usually added to a noun to indicate "small and cute". It is frequently used in cartoons and advertisements that are targeted towards very young children or for baby products.
    lambkin= a small (cute baby) sheep
    babykins, bunnykins (see Beatrice Potter stories), and don't forget the Munchkins (Wizard of Oz)!
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Подающий надежды оратор
    So what type of English do Russians learn? I don't want to give American usage to someone learning English spoken in the UK or who is reading that usage in the book they are learning from.

Tim.
    Не знаю.

JB
    Старший оракул
    English is English. There are regional and cultural differences (same for Spanish in Spain vs all the Latin American countries) but correct English is the same everywhere. British and American English both are used interchangably world wide so it is necessary to know both. The suffix "-kin" is used by Beatrice Potter (British) and L.Frank Baum (American).
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Grammatically it's all the same, but when talking about certain terms there are differances. The British use words that Americans simply don't use and some are used differantly.

Are Russians more likely to interact with Americans or other English speakers? Given the global influence of America, and the internet, I'd assume Russians would be more exposed to American English speakers. With Russian's proximity to Europe, however, and the past relationship with America, maybe there is more contact with other English speakers.

Tim.
    Не знаю.

Почтенный гражданин
    -kin is a very rare suffix, used only in baby-talk to a great extent (eg: "hunny-wunnykins" or something similarly ridiculous
    Эдмунд Ричардович Вудфилд