Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: retarded

Почтенный гражданин

retarded

is retarded actually an offensive word? I mean, if I say I work with retarded kids, for example, does it have a bad meaning?

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    The older people will understand this word with no offensive meaning. However these days it has become popular to find what are considered more compassionate expressions for every disorder. "Mentally challenged children" would be acceptable to say. I can't think of any others right now, maybe someone else can though! Maybe "mentally handicapped" is better.

Now if you want to give an insult to someone which has a slight amount of humour in it you can call that person "A retard" but I would suggest that you only use this amongst your friends. Or if you hate your job, your boss.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Увлечённый спикер
    It depends on the context. Retarded has different meanings. It can be used to describe person with an IQ below a certain threshold. The comon usage is a deragatory term used to describe/ insult people that are "not as fast as the rest of the class".

Some euphemisms for your example would include:
    I work with special education students.
    I work with special needs students.

To say " I work with retarded kids" would make you sound a little insulting especially in aprofessional enviroment (esp. to coworkers or parents). Anyways the eupemisms make it sound "more important".

Старший оракул
    Retarded also can be used to describe things that you dont like, or have a negative feeling towards. In this context, "gay" can replace it. For example:

This movie is retarded. (This movie is gay.)

Dancing ballet is retarded. (Dancing ballet is gay.)

This is so retarded. (This is so gay.)

And so on...

vy
    Подающий надежды оратор
    In some novel I had also met the form 'tard of the word "retard".
    The brutes could eat hay for ought I care.

Старший оракул
    Yeah. You can usually call someone tard.

Like: You frikin tard.

Завсегдатай

Re: retarded

Quote Originally Posted by kamka
    I work with retarded kids...
    I work with STUPID kids...
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

Завсегдатай

Re: retarded

Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    I work with retarded kids...
    I work with STUPID kids...
    *with high-and-surprising tone* Are you SERIOUS?.. To say that?..
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Почтенный гражданин
    ahh, *bangs head on the wall* that would explain a lot. damnit.
    but thanks a bunch for all of the comments and help. it is greatly appreciated.

Новичок
    ahh, *bangs head on the wall* that would explain a lot. damnit.
    but thanks a bunch for all of the comments and help. it is greatly appreciated.
    Kamka- do you actually work with mentally retarded (medically down syndrome ect) or do you work with a bunch of little shitheads?
    Also, I strongly disagree with Saibot on this one (sorry honey-bound to happen). It is not ok unless you are a punk kid to interchange the word (gay) with retard. It worked in the 80's when there were few homosexuals about. But nowadays.. it will really come down to your respectability. Most gays just flat out bother me ok, but still terms such as, "that's just jewish" "how gay" "no the chink got the job" are pretty much held to the same standard-even if their meaning is innocently put forth as meaning "stupid". If you mean stupid, say stupid. If you mean retarded say retarded. If you mean stupid unruly little ...... (insert here) ah...caught myself in my own game.

Background on your statement would be nice. I'm sure we could all come up with some expletatives for you.

Take Care
    Rosa Anna

Почтенный гражданин
    whoops. I am going to have to ask MA to delete that aNiMaL account.. sigh.

me again.
    To answer your question-every offensive word (word used to express frustration) that you use that uncludes as the target some far off real or imagined base (such as retards) is going to offend someone. Some more than others. Retards themselves are in the minority-if they heard you say it, that would really hurt them, but the target of your attack would not be harmed. ie: it is basically a harmless word. Though you never know. You might say it to some kid who then goes home and drinks bleach because .,.

Anyways. I tend to use the phrase (fuking moron) alot to describe EVERYONE I am pissed off at. I also tend to insult with a likely truth--ie (fuking psychopathic beotch) I'm also prone to the insult "you fuking @ss fuker" though I'm not sure why...and am trying to get it out of my vocab.

IF you are working with kids, especially some of the kids raised by the large portion of MORON parents, well, then you are working with kids who are raised by moron parents. (I do call them fuking little retards-but alas, poor little mongrels cant help it). If you are working with these kids I suggest you get a new job before you EXPLODE.
    It is Winter and Very Cold.

Властелин

I'm choking on a sandwich here.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Anna

me again.
    To answer your question-every offensive word (word used to express frustration) that you use that uncludes as the target some far off real or imagined base (such as retards) is going to offend someone. Some more than others. Retards themselves are in the minority-if they heard you say it, that would really hurt them, but the target of your attack would not be harmed. ie: it is basically a harmless word. Though you never know. You might say it to some kid who then goes home and drinks bleach because .,.

Anyways. I tend to use the phrase (fuking moron) alot to describe EVERYONE I am pissed off at. I also tend to insult with a likely truth--ie (fuking psychopathic beotch) I'm also prone to the insult "you fuking @ss fuker" though I'm not sure why...and am trying to get it out of my vocab.

IF you are working with kids, especially some of the kids raised by the large portion of MORON parents, well, then you are working with kids who are raised by moron parents. (I do call them fuking little retards-but alas, poor little mongrels cant help it). If you are working with these kids I suggest you get a new job before you EXPLODE.
    Let me clarify.

You are retarded = You are a moron = You are very stupid.

They all mean "very low intelligence" and are offensive.
    I think "retarded" and "moron" are stonger than "stupid".

Maybe 50+ years ago "retarded" meant "brain damaged" or "brain disorder" resulting in very low intelligence. Nowadays, it just means very stupid.

Почтенный гражданин
    hehe cool adoc.. :P

Kwatts and others,
    Respectfully, I disagree. You see, I still believe retarded is a medical term or an understood word used by medical professionals and caregivers. As long as it exists as that...

but whatever

Почётный участник

me again.

Чё за хуйня ?

Roseanne Roseannadanna, whatever you're on, ask your doctor to double your dose, and to specify tablets instead of suppositories.

Have a relaxing day.
    Jeff

Почтенный гражданин
    sod off stranger.

Ты что, с хуя сорвался?

The man asked a realistic question-although not very clear as too his meaning. He recieved an answer from a native speaker of the language and a 30 year resident of the demographics of an English speaking country. Maybe you spend less time twiddling yourself and occupy more of your time with not becoming offended. Pick up a book. While your at it, see a shrink. YOU flew off the handle; I did not.

Ana

Завсегдатай
    hehe cool adoc.. :P

Kwatts and others,
    Respectfully, I disagree. You see, I still believe retarded is a medical term or an understood word used by medical professionals and caregivers. As long as it exists as that...

but whatever
    Let me revise my statement.
    The term "mentally retarded" has a totally different meaning from the word "retarded".
    I confirmed this with Google.

I work with retarded kids = I work with very stupid kids

I work with mentally retarded children = I work with children that have some medical condition that results in a very low intelligence

Почтенный гражданин

sometimes translation is lost in the net.
    Kwatts just clarifyed.

We had a learning building for retarded children at one of my schools. The teachers and staff then referred to them as retarded. (mentally).

I'll have to research it, but an overly high-iq has been associated to those with mental retardation. The same has been said for those with A.D.D. Attention Deficit, and Dyslexia. Maybe not the rule. ie: RAINMAN's

dzh
    offtop: А ну-ка признавайтесь, кто вас так ругацца научил?

Завсегдатай
    It wasn't me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast