Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The movie "The Search For John Gissing" - help please!

Завсегдатай

Re: The movie "The Search For John Gissing" - help please!

The next one please:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8NZmEzYD0U

- Gwyneth, I want you to know I'm quite concerned about these news .... your marriage.
    - Oh, Francois, thank you for your concern. Yes. Well... It has been ..... time. Yes, you know, I... Well, Nigel just decided that enough was enough. ........ been some fighting, of course.
    - Let's just be sure that this will not getting away (of your over seen the take over??). As I say, quite concern.
    - No, no. .....................??

Кстати, может кто-нибудь перевести на русский, о чем они говорят? Я только понимаю, что речь идет о ее свадьбе. А смысл предложения "well... yes, you know... well.... yes и т.п." я не понимаю вообще. Ну и остальное тоже
    Спасибо!
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    The next one please:

- Gwyneth, I want you to know I'm quite concerned about thIS news I HEAR OF your marriage.
    - Oh, Francois, thank you for your concern. Yes. Well... It has been A...A RATHER TOUGH time. Yes, you know. Well, Nigel just decided that enough was enough. WELL THERE('S?) been some fighting, of course.
    - Let's just be sure that this will not get IN THE WAY of your overSEEING the takeover? As I say, I'M quite concernED.
    - No, no. NO, FRANCOIS NO WORRIES

Кстати, может кто-нибудь перевести на русский, о чем они говорят? Я только понимаю, что речь идет о ее свадьбе. А смысл предложения "well... yes, you know... well.... yes и т.п." я не понимаю вообще. Ну и остальное тоже
    Спасибо!
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    The next one please:

- Gwyneth, I want you to know I'm quite concerned about thIS news I HEAR OF your marriage.
    - Oh, Francois, thank you for your concern. Yes. Well... It has been A...A RATHER TOUGH time. Yes, you know. Well, Nigel just decided that enough was enough. WELL THERE('S?) been some fighting, of course.
    - Let's just be sure that this will not get IN THE WAY of your overSEEING the takeover? As I say, I'M quite concernED.
    - No, no. NO, FRANCOIS NO WORRIES

Спасибо!
    - Гвинет, хочу что-бы ты знала, что я крайне обеспокоен этими слухами о твоём браке.
    - О, Франсуа, спаcибо за заботу. Да, всё это было тяжело. Ну.., знаешь, в общем Найджел решил, что всему приходит конец. Конечно было много ссор.
    - Давай договоримся, что всё это никак не повлияет на твою работу над объединением (сделкой). Как я и сказал, я крайне обеспокоен.
    - Нет, нет, Франсуа, никаких беспокойств.

Почтенный гражданин

Francois is being a jerk here. First he expresses concern about her marriage. She answers, thinking that he is offering her a bit of sympathy. Then he makes it clear that he is only concerned about business. I feel sorry for Gwyneth, and I haven't even seen the movie.

Завсегдатай

Большое спасибо.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай

Guys, help me with the next excerpt please:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjocZ1uDRFQ

I hear the following:
    - Oh, sh*t!
    - What? What?
    - What? He wired us 35 dollars.
    - Oh, I can't believe it.
    - Believe it. Believe it. You call that guy, you tell him you're in trouble, and he wires you just 35 goddamn dollars!
    - What do you want me to do about it?
    - I want you to admit that your brother is a loser and a stoner.
    - Okay, my brother is a loser and a stoner.
    - Thank you.
    - Happy now?
    - No, no. Now I want you to admit that sometimes late at night you call him and ...................
    - Okay. Tell me again why we can't get money ....... account?
    - Because this is a British bank. Our American bank in Chikago doesn't open ......... (to 5 o'clock?)
    - Didn't you get them (live?) (battle?) .... your life speech?
    - It's funny. You see? Still .... sense of humor. We can ....... tonight. Sh*t! ...........

Guys, help me with the next excerpt please:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjocZ1uDRFQ

I hear the following:
    - Oh, sh*t!
    - What? What?
    - What? He wired us 35 dollars.
    - Oh, I DON'T believe it.
    - Believe it. Believe it. You call THE guy, you tell him you're in trouble, and he wires US [s:3a366w5w]just[/s:3a366w5w] 35 goddamn dollars!
    - What do you want me to do about it?
    - I want you to admit that your brother is a loser and a stoner.
    - Okay, my brother is a loser and a stoner.
    - Thank you.
    - Happy now?
    - No, no. Now I want you to admit that sometimes late at night you call him and HE'S WASTED AND YOU CAN ACTUALLY HEAR THE MAN DROOLING OVER THE PHONE.
    - Okay. Tell me again why we can't get money OUT OF OUR account?
    - Because this is a British bank. AND our American bank in Chi[s:3a366w5w]k[/s:3a366w5w]cago doesn't open 'TIL 5 o'clock?
    - Didn't you get them THE BATTLE OF your life speech?
    - It's funny. You see? YOU still HAVE YOUR sense of humor. We can DINE ON THAT tonight. Sh*t! C*CKS*CKER MOTHER F*CKING (and then some other curses I can't make out.. sorry).
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Завсегдатай

Hi everyone!
    Sorry, I'm back in this thread.

Could someone help me with this video please? This cabby makes me crazy!!! Earlier I thought I understood British English much better than AmE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gthRFvJK618

- Hallo.
    - Hi, Dexter, it's Matthew Barnes, the American from yestersday.
    - ..... American .... (I can't get what this London cabby says!!!)
    - The one who had dollars and no pounds. I'm sure you remember. The "flat rate" guy.
    - Of course I remember you, Mr Flat Rate. ......... (??)
    - I'm fine. I'm fine. Listen, we're (at the?) phone box just below Oxford Street. We need you to pick us up (and come?) take us to 101, High Street.
    - What's that?
    - (cabby) What's ........... (??)
    - Gissing's address. I made him give it to me (back?)... when (we were?) in Chicago .......... problem.
    - What about your .... presentation?
    - (We need to?) find Gissing first. (Finally?) ....... ....... of you.
    - ......... postal code.
    - I don't have a postal code. I just know "101, High Street".
    - (...? sounds like "Oh no") I'm not far away. I can come and pick you up. But ............. bla bla blaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... postal code ...........
    - ....... Dexter. You have the Knowledge, I have ..... – that's all we need. Just come and .....
    - What did he say?
    - What did he say? He said your brother was a looser and a stoner.

Подающий надежды оратор

- Hallo.
    - Which American is that, mate?
    - The one who had dollars and no pounds. I'm sure you remember. The "flat rate" guy.
    - Of course I remember you, Mr Flat Rate deal. (I am not sure about this bit but I think this is what he says.)
    - I'm fine. I'm fine. Listen, we're (at the?) phone box just below Oxford Street. We need you to pick us up (and come?) take us to 121, High Street.
    - What's that?
    - (cabby) 121 High Street? (actually sounds like 'igh street, what with his accent and all.)
    - Gissing's address. I made him give it to me back when we were in Chicago, when we get here there was a problem.
    - What about your 1 o'clock presentation?
    - I'm gonna find Gissing first. Find out what he's up to, go on the offensive here.
    - Hello, 121 High Street? You got a postal code.
    - I don't have a postal code. I just know "121, High Street".
    - Well, look, I'm not far away. I can come and pick you up. But it's gotta be 30 or 40, 121 High Streets in London. I mean, without a postal code it's needle in the haystack time.
    - You know what Dexter? You have the Knowledge, I have the determination – that's all we need. Just come get us.
    - Alright, see you in a bit.
    - What did he say?
    - What did he say? He said your brother was a loser and a stoner.
    Not 100% sure about all of this but it sounds about right.

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by Karras

- Hallo.
    - Which American is that, mate?
    - Of course I remember you, Mr Flat Rate deal. (I am not sure about this bit but I think this is what he says.)How are you?
    - I'm fine. I'm fine. Listen, we're in a phone box just below Oxford Street. We need you to pick us up and come take us to 121, High Street.
    - What's that?
    - (cabby) 121 High Street? (actually sounds like 'igh street, what with his accent and all.)
    - Gissing's address. I made him give it to me back when we were in Chicago, just in case when we get here there was a problem.
    - What about your 1 o'clock presentation?
    - I'm gonna find Gissing first. Find out what he's up to, go on the offensive here.
    - Hello, 121 High Street? You got a postal code.
    - I don't have a postal code. I just know "121, High Street".
    - Well, look, I'm not far away. I can come and pick you up. But it's gotta be 30 or 40, 121 High Streets in London. I mean, without a postal code it's needle in the haystack time.
    - You know what Dexter? You have the Knowledge, I have the determination – that's all we need. Just come get us.
    - Alright, see you in a bit.
    - What did he say?
    - What did he say? He said your brother was a loser and a stoner.
    Not 100% sure about all of this but it sounds about right.
    I think you just missed it. I couldn’t make out those it's gotta be 30 or 40 and it's needle in the haystack bits, with all his British or what heavy accent, if one could call a native speaker’s accent heavy. Understanding this guy is the main trouble for me in this film

Подающий надежды оратор

My apologies. I heard the "how are you?" and "just in case" bits but accidentally missed them when typing it out. I'm blaming it on tiredness, honest.

I am English and I find his accent a bit thick at times. I had to listen a few times to get it all.

Завсегдатай

Thanks, guys.
    I only didn't understand the "I made him give it to me back when we were in Chicago" because Matthew and Gissing never met. Now I think that he means when he and his wife were in Chicago...

Another thing I don't understand is "to pick us up and come take us to 121, High Street". How come that these two verbs meet together without any "to" or something?

Подающий надежды оратор

It's just colloqial I guess.

It's pretty common to say things like "come take us", or "go get them".

I suppose the correct way of saying it would be "come here and take us to ....." or "go there and get them".

In this case, the word "come" is not really required at all but would probably work better as "come pick us up and take us".

Завсегдатай

Thank you, Karras.

I need help with another excerpt please:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fa2iaU24Ow

I can hear:

- Hi. Is this the home of John Gissing?
    - Yes, it is.
    - It is! And you're his...
    - His wife.
    - His wife! His wife!
    - He's gone now. Dead. Ten years. His name is... is not Gissing, (so easy? so is he?) It's Phil who (tooked??) ....... He used to have me ten... twelve times a day.
    - Excuse me?
    - He would take me like a bull (my take??) a puppy.
    - Like a bull have a puppy...
    - He was my bull. I was his puppy.
    - Okay. I'm American so I ........ just move on. Okay. Bye.

Does the woman speak with a foreign accent?

Почтенный гражданин

Another thing I don't understand is "to pick us up and come take us to 121, High Street". How come that these two verbs meet together without any "to" or something?
    I think it's a mistake, but something that happens sometimes in normal, fast speech, and isn't noticed. I think the actor put the words out of order unintentionally. In normal conversation it's not a big deal because the brain of the listener makes the correction subconsciously. It's only when you stop and analyse what was said that you even notice.

He should have said, "to come pick us up and take us to..." Like Karras said, it's quite common to omit 'here and' between 'come' and the next verb in a phrase like that.

"Tina, come get some ham!"

"Come finish your homework."

"Come help me!"
    "Сейчас без языка нельзя... из тебя шапку сделают..."
    Cogito Ergo Doleo

Старший оракул

Thank you, Karras.

I need help with another excerpt please:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fa2iaU24Ow

I can hear:

- Yes, it is.
    - It is!
    - And you're his...
    - His wife.
    - His wife! His wife!
    - He's gone now. Dead. Ten years. His name is... is not Gissing, though, he’s Phrill Gdookt, John Phrill Gdookt..(it’s her husband’s name, whatever it might be) He used to have me ten... twelve times a day.
    - Excuse me?
    - He would take me like a bull might take a puppy.
    - Like a bull have a puppy...
    - Okay. I'm American so I should probably just move on. Okay. Bye.

She must be German.

Подающий надежды оратор

пожалуйста! (I think. I'm still very new at this. )

- Yes, it is.
    - It is!
    - And you're his...
    - His wife.
    - His wife! His wife!
    - He's gone now. Dead. Ten years. His name is... is not Gissing, though . It's Frielgdukt, John Frielgdukt. He used to have me ten... twelve times a day.
    - Excuse me?
    - He would take me like a bull might take a puppy.
    - Like a bull'd have a puppy...
    - Okay. I'm American so I should probably just move on. Okay. Bye.
    I think that about covers it. The name "John Frielgdukt" is an approximation. The surname at least is not any name I have heard but I think it is roughly what she says.

Absolutely, yes. I am not so sure it is 100% authentic but I believe it is meant to be German. The name she gives also sounds vaguely German, though it all sounds comically over the top to me.

Edit: Dammit! Beaten to it. I think my take on the surname is a bit closer though.

Завсегдатай

Thanks so much, guys

Here's the next one, really very short:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HJJxVSdLtA

- (cabby) ...........
    - I know. ........... five minutes. .......... have to wait........ I'm so nervous.
    - Okay. Don't be nervous.
    - I can't help it.
    - ...... control. It's fine.

Подающий надежды оратор

- (cabby) Couple more of those streets to check.
    - I know. I got the biggest presentation of my life, in about five minutes. (Something I can't make out, possibly the womans's name?), you'll have to wait. Hold these for me. I'm just so nervous.
    - I can't help it.
    - Yeah, you got it under control. It's fine.
    I think

Почтенный гражданин

- (cabby)Couple more of those streets to check.
    - I know. I got the biggest presentation of my life, in about five minutes. So we'll have to wait. Hold these for me. I'm just so nervous.
    - I can't help it.
    - Yeah, you got it under control. It's fine.
    To the best I can tell, he is saying "So we'll have to wait," but it might be "So it'll have to wait" or "So you'll have to wait,"

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast