Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: English Pet Peeves & Common Mistakes

Почётный участник

Re: English Pet Peeves & Common Mistakes

Ha, that song has taken quite a bit of heat. People say that in actuality, she doesn't describe anything ironic, which intrinsically, is ironic However, I'd contend that a fly in your Chardonnay is ironic. But rain on your wedding day; that's just unfortunate.

From King of Queens
    Jerry Stiller(Arthur Spooner): "Douglass, you were right, I thought ironic meant made completely of iron" hehe.

Старший оракул

"The ironing is delicious."

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom

My daughter's English teacher uses the song Ironic by Alanis Morissette when she teaches her class about irony...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9yUVgrmPY
    Has she ever been engaged in a movie or TV series? I think I saw her somewhere in that capacity. She looks so familiar.
    Does the English teacher refer to the song as an exemplary “don’t do that in a public place and especially when children are present” thingy?
    Personally, the song’s lyrics struck me as particularly understandable, unlike so many others. And is there really something wrong with the ironic there? Isn’t it an irony of fate for an old man to die having just won the lottery?

Почтенный гражданин

My daughter's English teacher uses the song Ironic by Alanis Morissette when she teaches her class about irony...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9yUVgrmPY
    Ed Byrne's take on the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1TVSTkAXg
    If I was kiddin' you, I'd be wearin' a fez and no pants. (Lennie Briscoe)

Старший оракул

It might have been funny if the song were bad, but it isn’t. The song is nice and the prick thrashing Alanis Morissette reminds me of our Comedy Club’s patron Павел Воля – as equally a sh*t-face of titanic proportion.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    It might have been funny if the song were bad, but it isn’t. The song is nice and the prick thrashing Alanis Morissette reminds me of our Comedy Club’s patron Павел Воля – as equally a sh*t-face of titanic proportion.
    thank you for your opinion

Почётный участник

Another one --

"For all intensive purposes". The phrase is actually "for all intents and purposes", but the former version is heard rather frequently.
    Пожалуйста, исправляйте мои бесконечные ошибки!

Okay... my mom wants help with this one.... Robin... it sounds as if you might know the answer???

Someone wrote to her and stated:
    "I'm guessing that your focus on the ZNH festival in Eatonville, FL (which while it is not -- as it turns out -- her birthplace, it is her place of birth!)"
    My mom wrote to me stating: I don't understand the difference between her birthplace and her place of birth ...
    ANYONE??? even if it's not Robin
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

To me there's no difference, but there's a paragraph here which implies that there are countries where there is one.

Robin
    Спасибо за исправления!

Вам нравится этот форум, и вы изучаете немецкий язык? Вот похожий форум о немецком языке.

Почтенный гражданин

Okay... my mom wants help with this one.... Robin... it sounds as if you might know the answer???

Someone wrote to her and stated:
    "I'm guessing that your focus on the ZNH festival in Eatonville, FL (which while it is not -- as it turns out -- her birthplace, it is her place of birth!)"
    [quote:zj16m5xh]My mom wrote to me stating: I don't understand the difference between her birthplace and her place of birth ...
    ANYONE??? even if it's not Robin [/quote:zj16m5xh]

There is absolutely no difference, unless the meaning of "place of birth" here is metaphorical. You didn't provide context of the sentence, but "festival" could imply "creative" birth. This depends on context. In this case, birthplace (where one is born biologically) would be contrasted with place where one is born as an artist / reborn as Jehova's witness / whatever form of metaphorical birth.

The wikipedia link to "place of birth" redirects from "birthplace" (i.e. they are identical). Webster's defines "birthplace" AS "place of birth"

Старший оракул
    "...about 8 percent of our military forces are comprised of women."

Isn't, by any chance, "be comprised of" anybody's pet peeve? There are people who vehemently disagree with such (common) usage of "comprise", but they may be just "evil linguists-prescriptivists", for all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by E-learner View Post
    "...about 8 percent of our military forces are comprised of women."

Isn't, by any chance, "be comprised of" anybody's pet peeve? There are people who vehemently disagree with such (common) usage of "comprise", but they may be just "evil linguists-prescriptivists", for all I know.
    it's a dry, official sounding phrase; I wouldn't call it a pet peeve though.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

Here's one which may not have been mentioned before, which I just came across again: Writing "without much adieu" instead of "without much ado".
    Спасибо за исправления!

Вам нравится этот форум, и вы изучаете немецкий язык? Вот похожий форум о немецком языке.

Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    When people use "ax" instead of "ask".

Scott
    Scott... I was rolling and thinking of you when I heard this one last night!!
    The entire monologue is one of the best on SNL in a long time but the part that is for this thread is starts at the 2:03 mark
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Почётный участник
    My pet peeve is having my computer underline the word "outwith" or, worse still, having someone wrongly correct me when I use it.

It's a perfectly nice little preposition that doesn't have a direct synonym but does have an uncontroversial antonym, it can be found in the Collins, Cambridge, Oxford, Merriam-Webster dictionaries, it is used in the legal systems of several countries, it is recorded in Hansard (official transcripts of debates in the UK Houses of Parliament) on countless occasions, and yet many people and most spell-checkers refuse to acknowledge its existence as a word.

Почтенный гражданин
    "What it is, is..."

As in: "Ma'am, what the problem with your engine is, is the starter's busted."

Non-US people would probably never make this one. But it's rampant in Arizona. And cringeworthy. =)
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

Новичок
    I'll donate my old English teachers personal favorite, "and also." As in, this is an annoying habit, and also not very logical. And and also are duplicative. Pick one she would shout (literally, it's quite a vivid memory) She was also driven crazy by double negatives in a sentence (which Russian allows). "I haven't never owed nothing to no one" Remember kids in English, as in math two negative equal a positive.

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah37 View Post
    by double negatives in a sentence (which Russian allows). "I haven't never owed nothing to no one" Remember kids in English, as in math two negative equal a positive.
    'I haven't ever owed anything to anyone' means "Я никогда никому ничего не был должен". And there's only one negative word: не. It's the only negative word in Russian. Things like ничего, никто, никому etc. are not negative; they act as negative words, so to say. At the same time they never go without the не in a sentence. You may say how about cases like this: - Что ты здесь делаешь? - Ничего. - What are you doing here? - Nothing. There's no single не in the answer. There's actually is one, but it's omitted. The full sentence is 'Я ничего здесь не делаю'. A double negative occurs when two не are used: Я не мог не показать ему, как он выглядит в зеркале. I couldn't help showing him his reflection in the mirror. Maybe there are some other cases when a double negative occurs, but I can't remember them.
    "I haven't never owed nothing to no one"
    Does this sentence mean something sensible? (Am I correct saying that?) If yes, I'm curious to know what it is.
    Remember kids in English, as in math two negative equal a positive.
    So it does in Russian.
    Я изучаю английский язык и поэтому делаю много ошибок. Но я не прошу Вас исправлять их, Вы можете просто ткнуть меня носом в них, или, точнее, пихнуть их мне в глаза. I'm studying English, and that's why I make a lot of mistakes. But I do not ask you to correct them, you may just stick my nose into them or more exactly stick them into my eyes.
    Всё, что не делается, не всегда делается к лучшему
    Но так же не всегда всё, что не делается, не делается не к худшему. : D

Почтенный гражданин MISSFOXYSWEETCHERRY's Avatar

"Am i not?" VS. "Aren't i?"

So i and my friends were chatting yesterday in G.Ch. and we faced this grammatical issue, however we kinda pass it by a semi-misinterpretation.
    So i think it does worth a little time to check these links for anyone who is anxious to know. [ and specially iCake (Who's about to become a professional English speaker) and Medved ! ]

- http://www.grammarerrors.com/grammar/arent-iam-i-not/
    - http://josecarilloforum.com/forum/in...ic=5041.0;wap2

Also any comment on it would be appreciated!
    Let's Live By The Moment... Cause Together Ain't Promised Forever
    Жить надо так, чтобы тебя помнили и сволочи
    Du Vet Inte Vad Som Kan Hända Innan Aftonen!

Quote Originally Posted by MISSFOXYSWEETCHERRY View Post
    So i and my friends were chatting yesterday in G.Ch. and we faced this grammatical issue, however we kinda pass it by a semi-misinterpretation.
    So i think it does worth a little time to check these links for anyone who is anxious to know. [ and specially iCake (Who's about to become a professional English speaker) and Medved ! ]

- aren’t I/am I not
    - Which is correct " am I not/ain't I" or "aren't I"?

Also any comment on it would be appreciated!
    I can suggest a little trick.

The one web page implies this idea, though. Just switch the two words at the beginning of the question/phrase (i.e. the contracted interrogative fragment) and if it makes sense, then it's correct form or usage.

E.g. I’m going with you on vacation, am I not? (so do the switch: "I am not" - *I am). Therefore, it's correct.

English speakers are always trying to make shortcuts in speech and although, it's an attempt at efficiency (to say the same thing in less words), it is often considered incorrect grammar. People are also using slang and eventually get into bad habits and form. But, it sounds 'better' ('difficult to explain).

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast