Thread: analog for the Russian expressions

Увлечённый спикер

analog for the Russian expressions

I'm trying to find an English analogy of the Russian expression "Oн любит тянуть одеяло на себя". I found something like "He likes to be on the light spot" or "He likes to be in the center of attention', but I feel like it is not what I'm looking for.
    The same situation with another my favorite Russian expression "На безрыбье и рак - рыба". I found in an expression book "In the kingdom of blinds one-eyed is a king", but none of my american acquaintances has ever heard about it.
    Can anybody help?
    "Сталевары, ваша сила - в плавках!"

Почтенный гражданин

Re: analog for the Russian expressions

Quote Originally Posted by chubby
    I'm trying to find an English analogy of the Russian expression "Oн любит тянуть одеяло на себя". I found something like "He likes to be on the light spot" or "He likes to be in the center of attention', but I feel like it is not what I'm looking for.
    The same situation with another my favorite Russian expression "На безрыбье и рак - рыба". I found in an expression book "In the kingdom of blinds one-eyed is a king", but none of my american acquaintances has ever heard about it.
    Can anybody help?
    I think you mean "He likes to be in the spot light", not "the light spot"...

And yes, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed is king" is an existing expression, at least I know it, so it should exist... It exists in Dutch, too.
    "мужчина в самом рассвете сил"

Почётный участник
    "He likes to be the centre of attention" sounds spot on to me.

I have to admit i've never heard of "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed is king". I must have had a sheltered childhood.
    Почтенный гражданин

Re: analog for the Russian expressions

Quote Originally Posted by chubby
    Can anybody help?
    For "На безрыбье и рак - рыба" I would simply say "(having/to have) something is better than (having/to have) nothing".
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Почтенный гражданин
    I've heard "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king," both in books and in colloquial speech. Maybe it's a regional thing?