Thread: нравиться - понравиться

Почтенный гражданин

нравиться - понравиться

To like

In Russian, this verb is notably different from the English equivalent.

When you want to say "I like strawberries" in Russian, you say "мне нравятся клубники".

Note that "I" from the original sentence has become "мне", i.e. the dative case. The object of the original English sentence has become the subject in Russian, meaning in this case the verb is in the plural form. In Russian, "strawberries" is the subject.

What you like in Russian is in the nominative case.
    Who likes is in the dative case.
    "мужчина в самом рассвете сил"

Завсегдатай
    i, frankly, find it, encredibly, and untterly, retaded (kinda like putting commas after every word) , how russian has to have an imperfectine and a perfective for everything. i mean they have it for "to catch a cold'' ok ok CMON ! i mean ! are u gunna say, yea well, i cought a cold for 30 seconds, but now it's gone. or "to die" why would u need two versions of this ?! "Yea, i will be dying on monday, and maybe wedensday, but il be suely dead by saterday!" it just doesn't make sense, why have ponravitsya... "i like strawberries, ALL THE TIME" ? maybe ?! this just sems rediculous and pointless мне.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин
    Imperfective concentrates on the action, perfective on the result.

You may find it ridiculous, but in essence in English you do the same. I go to the movies vs. I am going to the movies. I had a cold vs. I have been having a cold...

I find it great. It gives a lot of possibilities for nuances.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    i, frankly, find it, encredibly, and untterly, retaded (kinda like putting commas after every word) , how russian has to have an imperfectine and a perfective for everything. i mean they have it for "to catch a cold'' ok ok CMON ! i mean ! are u gunna say, yea well, i cought a cold for 30 seconds, but now it's gone. or "to die" why would u need two versions of this ?! "Yea, i will be dying on monday, and maybe wedensday, but il be suely dead by saterday!" it just doesn't make sense, why have ponravitsya... "i like strawberries, ALL THE TIME" ? maybe ?! this just sems rediculous and pointless мне.
    Я буду умирать в понедельник, а умру в субботу". Nothing extraodinary wrong in this sentence, although the meaning is rather odd. Or in "Я пять раз умирал, но так и не умер." It does more sense, because I might have been 5 times in situation where I was near dead, but haven't died nevertheless.

mike

Re: нравиться - понравиться

Quote Originally Posted by Gollandski Yozh
    To like

In Russian, this verb is notably different from the English equivalent.

When you want to say "I like strawberries" in Russian, you say "мне нравятся клубники".

Note that "I" from the original sentence has become "мне", i.e. the dative case. The object of the original English sentence has become the subject in Russian, meaning in this case the verb is in the plural form. In Russian, "strawberries" is the subject.

What you like in Russian is in the nominative case.
    Who likes is in the dative case.
    I never could figure out why this verb is taught as "to like." In my opinion it should be taught in a more understandable way as the intransitive phrase "to be pleasant." This would eliminate any confusion about why the dative is used, for when you say "I like strawberries" in Russian what you are really saying is "Strawberries are pleasing to me." In this English sentence, strawberries takes the nominative and I takes the dative, so when taught to someone for the first time the theory behind it would seem much more logical. This is especially true in practical conversation, where all too often they [the people I talk to at least, maybe they are just the lazy minority] will drop the indirect object entirely and just say something like, "Нравится клубники" or "Клубники нравится."

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    This is especially true in practical conversation, where all too often they [the people I talk to at least, maybe they are just the lazy minority] will drop the indirect object entirely and just say something like, "Нравится клубники" or "Клубники нравится."
    You mean "Нравятся клубники"/"Клубники нравятся"...

mike
    Yes, of course. I already had the verb down before I bothered to decide what subject to use, then I got lazy and just pasted strawberries from your post since I didn't know the word. It didn't even occur to me to change it to third person plural.

Почётный участник

Йожык! Ты ведь хотел, чтобы исправляли твои ошибки? Клубника никогда не употребляется во множественном числе. Поэтому будет "нравится клубника"

mike
    Йожык? Я думал, что Ёж означал Ёжик, именем "Ёжик в тумане" (который недавно я посмотрел) или м.б. "Dutch Hedgehog". А что, скажите пожалуйста, значит Йожык?

JJ
    Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by mike
    Йожык? Я думал, что Ёж означал Ёжик, именем "Ёжик в тумане" (который недавно я посмотрел) или м.б. "Dutch Hedgehog". А что, скажите пожалуйста, значит Йожык?
    Это я его так первый назвал! Пояснения смотри здесь: http://masterrussian.net/mforum/view...hp?p=7863#7863
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

mike
    Спасибо, JJ -- но интересно, где эта картинка!

JJ
    Властелин
    Если найду - выложу, хотя это не картинка а флэшка. Там ёжик такой симпатичный, лежит на ладошках и курит...
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by marina
    Йожык! Ты ведь хотел, чтобы исправляли твои ошибки? Клубника никогда не употребляется во множественном числе. Поэтому будет "нравится клубника"
    Thanks!

JJ
    Властелин

Quote Originally Posted by marina
    Марина, слово "клубника" употребляется во множественном числе - ведь можно сказать "ягоды клубники", "сорта клубники" и т.д. Но когда говорим о клубнике вобще - то ты совершенно права.

Почётный участник
    Разве это множественное число?
    И клубника
    Р клубники
    Д клубнике
    В клубнику
    Т клубникой
    П о клубнике
    По-моему так.