Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: case with нравиться

  1. #1
    Старший оракул tohca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    зарубежный
    Posts
    769
    Rep Power
    13

    case with нравиться

    1. Вам нравится наш город.
    2. Вам нравится старые дома.

    In the sentences above:
    1. наш город - nominative case?
    2. старые дома - accusative case?

    Why is the case in 2 accusative and in 1 is nominative?
    Find out all about Malaysia here!

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай BappaBa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Нерезиновая
    Posts
    2,115
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: case with нравиться

    Quote Originally Posted by tohca
    1. Вам нравится наш город.
    2. Вам нравятся старые дома.

    In the sentences above:
    1. наш город - nominative case?
    2. старые дома - nominative case?

  3. #3
    Старший оракул tohca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    зарубежный
    Posts
    769
    Rep Power
    13
    So both are in nominative cases. Now it's much clearer. Thanks.
    Find out all about Malaysia here!

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай BappaBa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Нерезиновая
    Posts
    2,115
    Rep Power
    14
    But:
    3. Вам нравится видеть старые дома - accusative case.
    =)

  5. #5
    Старший оракул tohca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    зарубежный
    Posts
    769
    Rep Power
    13
    Direct objects after a verb are in the accusative case - it's getting clearer. So, what about the нпавиться in 1 and 2. Isn't нравиться a verb too?
    Sorry for asking these silly questions. It's quite tough to really hammer these cases in.
    Find out all about Malaysia here!

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mowcow, Russia
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by tohca
    Direct objects after a verb are in the accusative case - it's getting clearer.
    That's where you are wrong. Direct objects are in accusative case, period, regardless of whether they are before or after the verb.

    "Я вижу книгу", "Книгу вижу я", "Я книгу вижу" — in all of these examples the subject (Я) is in the nominative case, and the object (книгу) is in the accusative case.

    And in "Вам нравятся старые дома", "дома" is the subject, so, of course, this word is in the nominative.
    Что делают дома? Они вам нравятся. And "вам" is an indirect object.

  7. #7
    Старший оракул tohca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    зарубежный
    Posts
    769
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by translations.nm.ru
    Quote Originally Posted by tohca
    Direct objects after a verb are in the accusative case - it's getting clearer.
    That's where you are wrong. Direct objects are in accusative case, period, regardless of whether they are before or after the verb.

    "Я вижу книгу", "Книгу вижу я", "Я книгу вижу" — in all of these examples the subject (Я) is in the nominative case, and the object (книгу) is in the accusative case.

    And in "Вам нравятся старые дома", "дома" is the subject, so, of course, this word is in the nominative.
    Что делают дома? Они вам нравятся. And "вам" is an indirect object.
    Thanks. Getting clearer all the time.
    I just need remove the habit of thinking that subject appearing before the action word.

    So for "Вам нравятся старые дома", it is нравятся and not нравится as it is referring to "они". Hope I've got it right.
    Find out all about Malaysia here!

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by tohca
    Quote Originally Posted by translations.nm.ru
    Quote Originally Posted by tohca
    Direct objects after a verb are in the accusative case - it's getting clearer.
    That's where you are wrong. Direct objects are in accusative case, period, regardless of whether they are before or after the verb.

    "Я вижу книгу", "Книгу вижу я", "Я книгу вижу" — in all of these examples the subject (Я) is in the nominative case, and the object (книгу) is in the accusative case.

    And in "Вам нравятся старые дома", "дома" is the subject, so, of course, this word is in the nominative.
    Что делают дома? Они вам нравятся. And "вам" is an indirect object.
    Thanks. Getting clearer all the time.
    I just need remove the habit of thinking that subject appearing before the action word.

    So for "Вам нравятся старые дома", it is нравятся and not нравится as it is referring to "они". Hope I've got it right.
    It's нравятся because the subject of the verb is plural (старые дома)
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 29th, 2010, 01:57 AM
  2. Любить и нравиться - есть разница?
    By JackBoni in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: July 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM
  3. любить vs нравиться
    By rainbowworrier in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: June 22nd, 2007, 06:46 AM
  4. What case is this ?
    By Johnroman in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: February 12th, 2005, 04:34 AM
  5. нравиться - понравиться
    By Gollandski Yozh in forum Daily Progress
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: July 5th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary