Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What don't you like about Russia?

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by astarz41
    Forgot to ask, how exactly did you come to your conclusion? I mean about analyzing my posts... I'm just curious.
    Did you ever see "A beautiful mind" ?

He is probly like that, exect crazy slav style. He's analzing everything he reads for the rightist western american propaganda. We are all just figments of imagination to him !

he's probly tied up in a straight jacket somewhere typing 1 footed responses to all these posts =))
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Властелин
    I haven't read most of the thread so I apologise if it's already been mentioned, I just remembered something else that annoyed me about Russia:

Why do all the houses and flats have so many bloody doors?

I mean, in a block of flats you need to go through a door at street level, then a secure entry door inside, then when you get to the flat you have two front doors, back to back, one opening out the way and one opening in the way. And houses are even worse, an outside front door (or two) from the garden into a little unheated entry hall, then another door to get into the house proper (and another little hall, this time a heated one), then yet another frikkin door to get into the main living space. And it doesn't even end there. Got an L or T-shaped hall between the rooms? No problem, just take that opportunity to install yet another door and partition off the living space still further.

Geez, anyone would think Russia had problems with petty crime and harsh winters....

Did you ever see "A beautiful mind" ?

He is probly like that, exect crazy slav style. He's analzing everything he reads for the rightist western american propaganda. We are all just figments of imagination to him !

he's probly tied up in a straight jacket somewhere typing 1 footed responses to all these posts =))
    Nope I haven't seen it That's a little disturbing... but it would explain a lot of things.

Geez, anyone would think Russia had problems with petty crime and harsh winters....
    Yeah I think those are the main reasons for so many doors.
    Свет
    С утра запутается в шторах и цветах,
    Которые ты забываешь поливать.
    Тебя не радуют весна и пение птах,
    Ведь снова ты должна любовь свою порвать,
    Ведь снова ты должна...

Почтенный гражданин
    Hee.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Nobody uses парадная, that would be like a big special entrance. And notice how it's an adjective? That's because the noun it modifies is probably дверь, which is feminine. парадная дверь.

подъезд can mean the driveway, but most of the time it means the area inside the apartment building, when you just come in. In Dnepropetrovsk, we lived in a 9-storey apartment building, which had a подъезд, and which we often, on a daily basis referred to as the подъезд. Never called it the парадная.

I know that Dnepropetrovsk is Ukraine, and not Russia, but this is just to show you that not only people in St. Petersburg call it подъезд, but in other places too, all over the former CCCP.

Oh yeah, about the actual question. I've never lived in russia, but in Dnepropetrovsk we had a serious pest problem, at least by american standards (not pakistani standards). In the подвал, we had mice, rats, and cats (seriously, stray cats), and that is just out of the mammals. There were also numerous insects, and things of that nature. There were small rectangular windows at ground level, and one time I saw a rat, (huge, probably about 25 inches long, with the tail.) and it jumped out of one window, ran across the подъезд (outside), and then jumped into another window. There were also numerous cat-fights (not girls fighting, actual cats), and they would battle around the подъезд and it often got quite bloody.
    "Кто кончил жизнь трагически -- тот истинный поэт..."

Старший оракул
    scotcher, please do read the whole thread. It's a textbook case of how VM can take an interesting discussion and turn it into utter drivel.
    (+you'll see me 'echoing' your comment )
    If you look at my original response to the OP, I mentioned corruption in education and the topic of 'trust', which I thought was rather an interesting topic. There was also the stuff about getting into the country, as I'm sure you remember. Instead of developing these ideas, we have three pages of VM defending his thesis that 'all Russian apartments have one lovingly hand-crafted wooden (palace) door' .. well I won't even bother it's not worth it
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почтенный гражданин
    Forgot to ask, how exactly did you come to your conclusion? I mean about analyzing my posts... I'm just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Quote Originally Posted by Линдзи wrote:
    My apartment building in St. Petersburg had both code locks and metal doors.
    But you've never been to St Pete. I established that a long time ago cross-examining your posts. Can you give me the address you were staying at? I'll pop round there and see if you're telling the truth or not.
    He was talking to Линдзи about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambakis
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Quote Originally Posted by Линдзи wrote:
    My apartment building in St. Petersburg had both code locks and metal doors.
    But you've never been to St Pete. I established that a long time ago cross-examining your posts. Can you give me the address you were staying at? I'll pop round there and see if you're telling the truth or not.
    He was talking to Линдзи about that.
    Ahh, you're right Tambakis!

Duh
    Свет
    С утра запутается в шторах и цветах,
    Которые ты забываешь поливать.
    Тебя не радуют весна и пение птах,
    Ведь снова ты должна любовь свою порвать,
    Ведь снова ты должна...

Завсегдатай
    I wasn't talking to you. Please pay attention.

P.S. 2all Please note that she didn't leave the exact address so I can't check if there's a tripple armour-plated door or not.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Завсегдатай
    Yeah I think those are the main reasons for so many doors.
    Will you ever stop this or not? Are you being paid or something? Petty crime huh. You're calling burglary a petty crime? You lot should be locked up - right behind those quadruple armour-plated doors with 512 bit combination locks you apparently have wet dreams about. You'll be in your element behind 'em.

Завсегдатай
    I know that Dnepropetrovsk is Ukraine, and not Russia, but this is just to show you that not only people in St. Petersburg call it подъезд, but in other places too, all over the former CCCP.
    The point is that the people in St Pete use the word парадная and подъезд is something totally different. You ain't been to St Pete and you don't know nowt about the dialect spoken there.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    scotcher, please do read the whole thread. It's a textbook case of how VM can take an interesting discussion and turn it into utter drivel.
    (+you'll see me 'echoing' your comment )
    If you look at my original response to the OP, I mentioned corruption in education and the topic of 'trust', which I thought was rather an interesting topic. There was also the stuff about getting into the country, as I'm sure you remember. Instead of developing these ideas, we have three pages of VM defending his thesis that 'all Russian apartments have one lovingly hand-crafted wooden (palace) door' .. well I won't even bother it's not worth it
    Developing what? Your lies? All we hear from people like you is the russians drink vodka bla bla bla the russians are corrupt bla bla bla the russians this the russians that. look, matey, i'm sick to my gut of your silly western propaganda and so are most russians on this board. besides, no one's putting a gag in your mouth (wish i could do that though) so please, discuss whatever lies you like, no one's standing in your way. aaaaah, i think i know why you're suddenly so silent about that - it's one thing to come forward with a few cock and bull stories about corruption at schools and it's quite another to actually back up your lies with hard evidence. go on, keep scraping the bottom.

Three pages, yeah. We have three pages of notorious liers posting their negativism about the country some love dearly.

Властелин
    giggle

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by rkdlnd
    Nobody uses парадная, that would be like a big special entrance. And notice how it's an adjective? That's because the noun it modifies is probably дверь, which is feminine. парадная дверь.
    Thereby displaying total ignorance of modern colloquial Russian... A word can have the form of an adjective but act as a noun.

Oh yeah, about the actual question. I've never lived in russia,
    How dare you talk about the way Russian is spoken in St Pete then? You sound like an American pontificating about BrE.

one time I saw a rat, (huge, probably about 25 inches long, with the tail.) and it jumped out of one window, ran across the подъезд (outside), and then jumped into another window.
    ...unlocked a tripple armour-plated door with its fangs... it wasn't a rat, it was a мышерокер.

There were also numerous cat-fights (not girls fighting, actual cats), and they would battle around the подъезд and it often got quite bloody.
    Sure. You kept your lazer gun cocked each time you were getting home. Scotcher, beam 'im up, will ya.

Завсегдатай
    Thereby displaying total ignorance of modern colloquial Russian... A word can have the form of an adjective but act as a noun.
    True. Tons of words decline like adjectives.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин
    It is time that you American and British idiots looked at a map and realized that winters in Russia are a lot colder than in Britain and the US. Perhaps you should recall your last winter in the UK/US and giggle at how the temperature dropping just slightly below zero would wreak havoc, and a couple of snowflakes that managed not to melt would paralyze your countries for days. Then try and grasp that in Russia twenty and thirty degrees below zero are the norm in winter, and they naturally do everything to conserve the warmth of their homes. Which includes double doors at the building entrances -- yes, with unheated space between them, because one must truly be an idiot to maintain tens of degrees of thermal difference in a place that has almost unobstructed heat exchange with the atmosphere. That often includes double doors between the stairway in a подъезд/парадная and a flat because there are still tens of degrees of difference between a flat and the stairway.

Yes there are double doors but they do not have to be steel doors. Speaking of which, you really ought to dissect an average "Western" door for your education, I bet you're going to be surprised upon finding steel inside one. Does that mean anything about the paranoia of its owner? Probably it does, but not more than it means about the resistance of the door to fire.

But, of course, in Russia steel doors only signify the wickedness of the Russian mind.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Властелин
    Haha, brilliant, two for the price of one.

That's made my day

Почтенный гражданин
    This is a hoot.

Почтенный гражданин
    Like I said, American and British idiots. scotcher (apparently an abbreviation of "scrotum itcher") and Линдзи have already shown up, freely and voluntarily announcing their idiocy. Just like the itcher said, two for the price of one.

Only I am afraid we are going to see more of them.

Speaking of the idiocy, Лидзи, do you still believe your Suburban Capital of the Middle of Nowhere has more and better books in its libraries than St. Petersburg?
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Властелин
    You really are a moron bad manners, but since you've made me laugh twice today already I'll spell it out for you.

Of course I'd read the whole thread before posting my comments about Russian doors, that was the whole point. It was a piss-take, intended to wind up Vending Machine for the amusement of myself and everyone else who finds his 'you're all lying anti-Russian propagandists' rants as absurd and funny as I do (which evidently includes all the other Russians on the board), since there is absolutely no point in trying to reason with him anyway. He takes any observation that he doesn't like, whether or not the observation was stated with any malice, as a direct attack on him and his country, which is ridiculous, and he deserves all the contempt he receives.

Hence my 'giggle' comment at his response.

As it happens, my own street-to-livingroom door count happens to be 6 (two front doors, one secure-entry, two internal fire doors, my own front door, and the door between my hall and living room), but the fact that I don't have a problem with the number of doors in Russian houses should have been obvious to anyone with a brain anyway, and that even if the number did surprise me, I stated quite clearly, albeit sarcastically, that I understood the need for them to have all the ones they do.

Hence my 'Geez, anyone would think Russia had problems with petty crime and harsh winters....' comment.

Amusingly, it appears all of this was only obvious to the 'British and American Idiots', as you so eloquently phrased it.

That it wound you up enough for you to come blundering into the thread calling people names and making a fool of yourself, yet again, was just an added bonus.

Hence my 'two for the price of one' comment.

Is there anything else I can help you with, sweetheart?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast