Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weird Russian delicacy

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by russkayalove
    I was kidding , there's no way I would tell her that! I think not finishing it will say enough anyways. There's been some, well, different things I've eaten there, which I will just eat anyways, like okroshka, but the cow tounge was too much for me. I guess it's an aquired taste.
    Окрошка is weird but delicious .
    It's my personal favorite for hot summer days.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I ate some cold "fishy" stuff in a clear glaze sauce last week. It was brown and shredded looking. I did not realize that it was a fish dish untill I put it to my lips but as soon as I did "it like freaked me out man". It was powerfull and pungient, I won't try that again. Does anyone have any ideas on what it may have been?.....I mean I would not want to make that mistake twice.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    I ate some cold "fishy" stuff in a clear glaze sauce last week. It was brown and shredded looking. I did not realize that it was a fish dish untill I put it to my lips but as soon as I did "it like freaked me out man". It was powerfull and pungient, I won't try that again. Does anyone have any ideas on what it may have been?.....I mean I would not want to make that mistake twice.
    Hmm not sure what it is... What kind of fish was in there?

But I bet you wouldn't like селедку под шубой ( mainly herrings + beets) either

You can imagine how easy it is for russians to eat sushi, raw fish or oysters after that

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Don't know what kind of fish. I ask someone what it was when I see them next week.

Nice pictures!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин russkayalove's Avatar
    speaking of okroshka, it seems like I'm the only one who thinks this..... doesn't kvas taste like prune juice?

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by russkayalove
    speaking of okroshka, it seems like I'm the only one who thinks this..... doesn't kvas taste like prune juice?
    Well, the real kvas is
    a) not sweet but sour and just lightly sweet
    b) not carbonated
    c) made from roasted rye bread and special kind of natural yeast, not from some kind of concentrate

I only know the one place where I can buy such a fresh "live" kvas ( i.e. with fermentation process not stopped ) in SF bay area. And kvas there it is not very cheap.

All other bottled and carbonated brands of kvas available in US are closer to a root beer unfortunately

Почтенный гражданин russkayalove's Avatar
    yea, the kvas I've tried comes in a plastic soda bottle, but its not carbonated. I don't think It's real kvas.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Hey, does anyone know about this ?

About 20 years ago my grandfather served up this strange, cold stuff, he said it was a Russian tea...can't remember what he called it.

It was made in a bucket which had water with this fungal "culture" floating on top, about the size of a plate.

It tasted mildly sweet.

JB
    Старший оракул
    It may have been "home brew" kvas with the soggy fermenting bread being the floaty stuff.
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JenTheSquirrel
    About 20 years ago my grandfather served up this strange, cold stuff, he said it was a Russian tea...can't remember what he called it.
    It was made in a bucket which had water with this fungal "culture" floating on top, about the size of a plate.
    It tasted mildly sweet
    It could be kambucha tea. We called it china tea.

http://users.bestweb.net/~om/kmi/KColony.html
    http://www.kombuchatea.co.uk/
    http://w3.trib.com/~kombu/
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай
    Where I'm from we make a drink called скромпи. It's a bit like cider, but is so strong it can knock you off your feet. (Judging by others, you all remember I'm teatotal). BTW, cider is сидр in Russian but the village I'm from has a rather peculiar local form of that word - зойдер. I think if Jasper was around he'd be pleasantly surprised.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Старший оракул

It tasted mildly sweet.
    It is called "гриб".

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Propp

It tasted mildly sweet.
    It is called "гриб".
    Или "чайный гриб". А еще бывает кефирный гриб, который, соответственно, перерабатывает молоко в кефир (kefir).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12