Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weird Russian delicacy

Почтенный гражданин russkayalove's Avatar

weird Russian delicacy

OH MY ******* GOD! Me and my boyfriend ate at his parents house and his mom served me meat surrounded in broth flavored gelatin in this little glass dish. It looked funny, but I'm open minded when it comes to food, so began eating it. I noticed the meat was really tough and chewy, and then my boyfriend told me it was cow tounge! His mom told me it is a Russian delicacy, so I felt like I had to finish it. I can't see how many people could really like this dish.

Почтенный гражданин

Re: weird Russian delicacy

Quote Originally Posted by russkayalove
    OH MY ******* GOD! Me and my boyfriend ate at his parents house and his mom served me meat surrounded in broth flavored gelatin in this little glass dish. It looked funny, but I'm open minded when it comes to food, so began eating it. I noticed the meat was really tough and chewy, and then my boyfriend told me it was cow tounge! His mom told me it is a Russian delicacy, so I felt like I had to finish it. I can't see how many people could really like this dish.
    I don't like холодец ( broth flavored gelatin + usually cooked beef, not necessary cow tongue ) either, it's kind of slimy .

But cooked cow tongue - it's quite another matter! If it is done properly (i.e. cleaned up and cooked for several hours with different spices and then cooled down in a fridge), it's very tender and delicious and goes well with хрен (horseradish sauce). And with vodka too

Почтенный гражданин
    I like it. What is not to like about cow's tongues? May be it wasn't cooked well.
    Я танцую пьяный на столе нума нума е нума нума нума е
    Снова счастье улыбнулось мне нума нума е нума нума нума е

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I prefer a large uncooked cows tongue as non-lethal personal defense.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    I prefer a large uncooked cows tongue as non-lethal personal defense.
    LOL

Почтенный гражданин
    russkayalove
    Cow's tongue is really delicious if properly cooked (and, as mentioned above, in combination with горчица or хрен and водка it is even better). And it is not usually put into gelatine before serving.
    Good коровий язык (cow's tongue) is not tough or chewy at all. It тает во рту (melts in the mouth literally) instead. The one you ate was simply improperly cooked.
    Холодец is a different kind of product and is not usually made of коровий язык, but it is very tasty if properly cooked too. And again, it is usually served with хрен (and sometimes водка ).

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Well I don't know about you mate but I'm starting to think that it's the consumsion of the vodka that makes the tongue taste so good and tender. This is the second post to metion the vodka factor. Hmmm...!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    No, водка is not necessary. It was a kind of joke of course (just to fit the common image of the Russian ).
    Although водка can sometimes be pleasant, for example, when you return home from -30 deg centigrade in the street (which nowadays is a rare condition, maybe due to global warming).
    I am russian and I drink водка quite rarely, maybe one or two times a year.

DDT
    What kind of a world would it be without stereotypes?
    I just spent most of the day with 200 Russians, Ukranians and a few Moldovians and not one of them pulled out a bottle of vodka during lunch........or a cows tongue. Actually they don't drink at all.
    PS By the way the borsch was excellent. I think I could live on that stuff.

Почтенный гражданин
    Actually they don't drink at all.
    Hm... Let me guess. Are you in jail or in hospital?

Властелин
    The prospect of tasting something that could once taste me is a little wierd.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

DDT
    Quote Originally Posted by BETEP
    Actually they don't drink at all.
    Hm... Let me guess. Are you in jail or in hospital?
    You are very close..........Church!

Почтенный гражданин
    You are very close..........Church!
    Some people don't drink at all, and you have already seen all of them. Have you made a list? Have you checked it twice? Do you want to find out who was sober and nice?

DDT
    Sober and nice?........There were some very pretty ....and sober and nice.......Ukranian girls attending this service also. Unfortunatly they had to drive to their homes in Seattle after dinner. .........PS. I don't know but perhaps they had to get back to unthaw a frozen cow's tongue from their freezer.

Почтенный гражданин
    @DDT: Don't take me so serious. I'm just kidding.

CV:
    nick: BETEP
    hobby: I make inappropriate jokes all the time.

DDT

well this was definatley not tender cow tounge, maybe next time I'll have to tell her to cook it right and pour me some grey goose as well!

Почтенный гражданин
    well this was definatley not tender cow tounge, maybe next time I'll have to tell her to cook it right and pour me some grey goose as well!
    Anyway, now you are able to understand people who don't like American fast food.

N
    Почтенный гражданин
    maybe next time I'll have to tell her to cook it right
    Tell to a housewife that her cooking is a wrong-made She may consider that as a mortal affront . She won't take the insult lying down

I was kidding , there's no way I would tell her that! I think not finishing it will say enough anyways. There's been some, well, different things I've eaten there, which I will just eat anyways, like okroshka, but the cow tounge was too much for me. I guess it's an aquired taste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast