Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird stuff

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

Weird stuff

What is the meaning of this phrase?

Да хоть за то,
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Re: Weird stuff

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    What is the meaning of this phrase?

Да хоть за то,
    Just for...

Simply for (the fact that...)

- some context would help.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

At least for... I think it's more close.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Could someone check this for mistakes?

One day a big fat cow was grazing on the railroad track when her cell phone rang. It was her karate instructor who wanted to know why she was on the train track while the 2:15 special was on its way. She told him that cows were impervious to train attacks and continued to graze upon the said track.

Однажды день Болшьая и толстая Корова выпускал по железной дороге когда свой мобильный телефон звонил. Как оказалась было её преподавателем каратэ который хотел знать почему она была на железной дороге пока 2:15 поезд скоро бы приехал. Она сказала ему что коровы защищённым от нападения поездами

EDIT: и продолжал выпускать (.........................).
    How would you translate "the said"?
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

V
    Почтенный гражданин
    and continued to graze upon the said track.
    That part wasn't included.
    Also I don't see why u would capitaize большой and корова, but I might just be stupid.
    Сюда нужно смотреть. И слушать, что я говорю.

DDT
    Oh I thought that I got rid of the capital letters And I forgot to add the end part. I'll do that now.

Could someone check this for mistakes?

EDIT: и продолжал выпускать (.........................).
    How would you translate "the said"?
    Here, "the said track"= that track, or the earlier mentioned track, methink.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

DDT
    So maybe, "прежде назван" ?

So maybe, "прежде назван" ?
    Neah... for "the said (railroad) track," it is better to use упомянутый железнодорожный путь
    or:
    упомянутая железнодорожная линия/железнодорожная колея.

Or maybe, just тот железнодорожный путь
    or:
    та железнодорожная линия/железнодорожная колея.

BTW, there are several errors in your translation into Russian, and I hope somebody can help you with that better than I can.

Новичок

Help

Hey what does this mean and can anyone translate it to english for me please.

Ничто очень. Я - вне больницы теперь. Дайте мне запрос

Marina
    Я - русский, который любит музыку.

Почтенный гражданин

Re: Help

Quote Originally Posted by crazyrussian
    Hey what does this mean and can anyone translate it to english for me please.

Ничто очень. Я - вне больницы теперь. Дайте мне запрос
    Nothing much/bad. I'm out of the hospital now. Give me a call (I think, not sure on that last)

Now...DDT, here's my attempt:

Однажды (днём) большая толстая корова паслась на железнодорожном пути когда ее мобильный телефон зазвонил. Это звонил её преподаватель по каратэ, который хотел узнать почему она стояла на ж-д пути когда рейс на 2:15 как раз подъезжал. Она ответила ему, что коровы невредимые поездом (поездами??) и продолжала пастись на [выше]упомянутом пути.

Thanks, that was fun! Although I'm sure my translation still sounds strange. What is it about cows anyway?
    P.S. - Исправление ошибок в моих текстах на русском всегда приветствуется

Старший оракул
    One day a big fat cow was grazing on the railroad track when her cell phone rang. It was her karate instructor who wanted to know why she was on the train track while the 2:15 special was on its way. She told him that cows were impervious to train attacks and continued to graze upon the said track.
    Однажды большая толстая корова паслась на железнодорожных путях, когда зазвонил её сотовый телефон. Это был её инструктор (тренер) по каратэ, который хотел узнать, почему она находится на путях в то время как дополнительный [поезд], прибывающий (отправляющийся?) в 2:15, уже в пути. Она сказала ему, что коровы невосприимчивы к нападениям поездов* и продолжила пастись на вышеупомянутых путях.

* Возможно, точнее "неуязвимы для нападения поездов", не уверен в значении слова impervious.
    Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!

DDT

Quote Originally Posted by Moryachka
    What is it about cows anyway?
    They have funny hair-dos.

Quote Originally Posted by Moryachka
    What is it about cows anyway?
    They have funny hair-dos.
    I thought you have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!

DDT
    Well this is probably really bad but here is the next part. Also, I would like to know Russian equivalents to the bold parts.

A few minutes later the whistle of a train could be heard. Misses Cow raised her heard to look just in time to be smashed in the face by the 2:15 train. An empty can of beer was tossed from the train as it went by. 200 kilometers down the track the cow arose out of a ditch. One of her horns was broken and her lipstick was smeared all over her face.

Несколько минут спустя свист поезда можно было бы услышать. Корова подняла голову, чтобы смотреть как раз вовремя быть разбитым в лице 2:15 поездом. Пустая банка пива была брошена от поезда, поскольку это прошло. 200 километров по пути карова явились из канаву. Один из её рогов был сломан и лица запятнанные помадю.

Несколько минут спустя послышался свисток паровоза. Корова подняла голову, как раз вовремя, чтобы поезд 2:15 ударил ее прямо в лицо. Когда поезд проезжал мимо, из него выбросили пивную банку. Через 200 километров вдоль по дороге корова выбралась из канавы. Один из её рогов был сломан, помада размазалась по всему лицу(всей морде?).
    Семь бед, один Reset

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by wanja
    Несколько минут спустя послышался свисток паровоза. Корова подняла голову, как раз вовремя, чтобы поезд 2:15 ударил ее прямо в лицо. Когда поезд проезжал мимо, из него выбросили пивную банку. Через 200 километров вдоль по дороге корова выбралась из канавы. Один из её рогов был сломан, помада размазалась по всему лицу(всей морде?).
    Пивная банка и паровоз плохо вяжутся.

послышался сигнал/свисток локомотива/поезда.

Завсегдатай
    Можно сказать "прозвучал сигнал локомотива"?

DDT
    What about all my mistakes.....where's Olya?

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Можно сказать "прозвучал сигнал локомотива"?
    Да, но лучше не "прозвучал", а "послышался" или "раздался".

What about all my mistakes.....where's Olya?
    Но ведь wanja прекрасно всё исправил
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast