Thread: NAMEDNI - Russian culture and history in pictures and stories

Завсегдатай

NAMEDNI - Russian culture and history in pictures and stories

NAMEDNI (rus) - the other day, lately
    Motto: Events, people, phenomena. Without them it's impossible to envisage us, and it's even harder to understand us

I believe that this was the best TV show about culture and life during Soviet period of history. A must see for everyone who is interested in Russia.

The show focuses on main events of cultural, sport, political and everyday life from 1960 to 2003 (initially to 1991), Fashion, politics, jokes, main achievements in sport and technology, economics, favorite movies, views Russians had about other countries - it's all here. TV version in Russian is available online, but there's also a newer printed version with re-edited and expanded entries.

I'll post them here, I hope some of you will enjoy it. If someone can take part in translating the highlights of each article or sharing related stories it would be great. I know that I won't be able to translate it all, because I'm ..ahem... too lazy. )) The first one is translated, though.

Завсегдатай

(sorry for the large picture, most articles are much smaller)

1961 - NEW MONEY

On Jan.1st, 1961 a money reform was implemented in the USSR. It was a reduction of nominal value: old rubles were exchanged to new as 10:1, and prices were lowered accordingly.

New bills (1,3,5,10,25,50 and 100 rubles) would last till the collapse of the Soviet Union. Bills of 10 rubles and more have Lenin's profile on them. Apart from Lenin the only pictures are views of Kremlin, and photographers call the view on the government residence from the other bank of Moscow-river "a 3-rubles view" from now on.

Prices that can't be divided in 10 are rounded up. For example a box of matches, which cost 8 old kopecks now costs 1 new kopeck (0.01 ruble). People are sure that the government swindled them - matches are now 0,2 kopecks more expensive!

Along with matches you could buy for 1 kopeck 1 kg of coal, or a glass of carbonated water, or children's newspaper "Pioneer truth";
    for 2 kopecks - any other daily newspaper, or to talk from the paid street phone (for any amount of time)
    for 3 kopecks - a tram ticket or a glass of soda,
    for 4 kopecks - 1 kilowatt of electric power or a trolleybus ticket
    for 5 kopecks - a city bus ticket or a subway (metro) ride.

Average salary was 90 rubles per month in cities and 70 in countryside.

People could not get used to "new" money for a long time. One could hear phrases like "It's 5 rubles - 50 rubles in old money. Boy, it's expensive!" till the mid-70s.

next - Движение присоединения

Завсегдатай
    1961 - OLEG POPOV, THE MOST POPULAR RUSSIAN CLOWN

Oleg Popov, a man in a checkered cap and a bright yellow wig, turns into thr most popular Soviet clown after presenting his lyrical sketch "Sunbeam". The sketch warranted the nickname, which had been given to Popov by Western media earlier - "a sunny clown".

"Sunbeam":

The artist's popularity is astounding, his name is a synonym to the word "clown", and Soviet toy industry products the first personalized doll ever - "Oleg Popov":

PS. Oleg Popov turned 80 in 2010 and he's still actively performing.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka View Post
    NAMEDNI (rus) - the other day, lately
    Motto: Events, people, phenomena. Without them it's impossible to envisage us, and it's even harder to understand us

I believe that this was the best TV show about culture and life during Soviet period of history. A must see for everyone who is interested in Russia.

The show focuses on main events of cultural, sport, political and everyday life from 1960 to 2003 (initially to 1991), Fashion, politics, jokes, main achievements in sport and technology, economics, favorite movies, views Russians had about other countries - it's all here. TV version in Russian is available online, but there's also a newer printed version with re-edited and expanded entries.

I'll post them here, I hope some of you will enjoy it. If someone can take part in translating the highlights of each article or sharing related stories it would be great. I know that I won't be able to translate it all, because I'm ..ahem... too lazy. )) The first one is translated, though.

Great!!!! Thank you!

Завсегдатай
    Thank you, fortheether.
    I wonder if I should post the pages from the book (like in "New money"), or translation + pictures is enough (like in "Clown")? It can be useful for those who prefer to read it in Russian, but they take a lot of space.

Завсегдатай
    1961 - Brumel is above it all

Photo: Valeriy Brumel (USSR) and John Thomas (USA)

In 1961, 1962, and 1963 Soviet high jumper Valeriy Brumel was universally recognized as the best athlete in the world - not only in track and field, but in sport in general.

At the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome 18 years old Brumel won the silver. In January 1961 during all-Soviet student championship he cleared 2.25 meters (~7'5''), which was more than 2 inches higher than the world record held by an American athlete John Thomas. Due to the class of this championship Brumel's achievement could not be internationally recognized, but a month later Brumel competes with Thomas in the USA and wins.
    From 1961 to 1963 Brumel broke the world record for the high jump six times, and won gold medal at the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. His record from 1963 held for 8 years.

Brumel's jumps are compared to flying. Young athlete is considered an intellectual, a new kind of person who is equally developed in body and mind.

After going undefeated during the 1965 season, 23 year old Brumel is badly injured in a motorcycle accident. It put an end to his career in sports.
    After multiple surgeries and a few unsuccessful attempts to achieve his previous athletic level Brumel turned to writing. His most famous book is an autobiographical "Do not betray yourself" (1979).

TRIBUTE TO BRUMEL:

I think that the comment to this video from youtube (below) is particularly interesting, though it probably could be said about many athlets from the past - with the advantage of modern technology their achievements could be even more spectacular:
    "This man is arguably the greatest high jumper who ever lived. He jumped 7'6" using a dirt runway, a sawdust pit in the straddle jump form. He was only 23 years old & undefeated the year he got into a serious motorcycle accident which ended his stellar career. He had not even peaked for he was just getting started. There is no doubt that in modern times using the Frosbury Flop and a fast synthetic track that he would have broken the 8 foot barrier. Most amazing jumper at only 6ft. in height!" (c)

Властелин
    Thank you, fortheether.
    I wonder if I should post the pages from the book (like in "New money"), or translation + pictures is enough (like in "Clown")? It can be useful for those who prefer to read it in Russian, but they take a lot of space.
    I'm actually downloading Намедни from rutracker

Scott

It is made nice but too noisy. Too many loud and repetitive sound effects. I got sick of it soon even though was interested in information.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    I'm actually downloading Намедни from rutracker
    Cool!
    But I add some extra info/footage/pictures. Hmm... Do you think there's no point in this thread then? ))
    it-ogo, I agree, but the idea of the programm itself, which showed little easily digestable (but not simplified) chunks of history, was great. They showed some rare and interesting footage too.

Властелин
    Are there any programs similar to Намедни but cover periods before 1961? If so, what is it called?

Thank you,

Scott

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    Are there any programs similar to Намедни but cover periods before 1961? If so, what is it called?
    Исторические хроники с Николаем Сванидзе is somewhat similar, though totally different in style.

Каждая серия цикла посвящена одному году XX века в России. Каждая серия – это одновременно и "портрет года", и "портрет человека года". Следовательно, выбираются не только самые яркие, важные исторические события, но и некрупные, но интересные факты, из которых тоже складывается убедительная объемная картина существования россиян в данном году.

Параллельно разворачивается интрига вокруг личности, которую условно можно назвать "человеком года". Это должен быть такой знаменитый персонаж российской политики, истории, культуры, в жизни которого в этом году произошло что-то очень важное – как для него самого, так и для россиян. Например, 1911 год в своей "человеческой" части посвящен Столыпину, который был убит в этом году, 1919 – Троцкому, политическая и военная активность которого в соответствующем году была наивысшей, 1902 год – Павлову, получившему первую в России Нобелевскую премию, 1918 – Деникину, создавшему в этом году Добровольческую армию.

Телеканал "РОССИЯ" // "Исторические хроники" с Николаем Сванидзе

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    Исторические хроники с Николаем Сванидзе is somewhat similar, though totally different in style.
    Downloading it now. Thank you!!!

Завсегдатай
    There's also "История России. ХХ век" (2007-...) about the most important and controversial events in Russian history. Some people accuse the authors of being less than objective in covering certain events, but still there's a wealth of interesting information. Episodes 1-81 cover period from the beginning of the XX century to the beginning of the Great Patriotic War (1941). They were (are?) available on torrents.

And you can watch first 50 episodes online (If video from "в контакте" works for you):
    История России. ХХ век (episodes 1-50 / 2007-2009 online)

Властелин
    There's also "История России. ХХ век" (2007-...) about the most important and controversial events in Russian history. Some people accuse the authors of being less than objective in covering certain events, but still there's a wealth of interesting information. Episodes 1-81 cover period from the beginning of the XX century to the beginning of the Great Patriotic War (1941). They were (are?) available on torrents.

And you can watch first 50 episodes online (If video from "в контакте" works for you):
    История России. ХХ век (episodes 1-50 / 2007-2009 online)
    I tried via "в контакте" but it's too choppy. Will look to download it.

Thank you!

Scott