Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Cold War !

  1. #1
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    6

    Cold War !

    During the Cold War , in America , there was a lot of fear among civilians and government officials . But what was it like in Russia ?

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай sperk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    США
    Posts
    2,284
    Rep Power
    13
    Really? I never felt any fear.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

  3. #3
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by sperk View Post
    Really? I never felt any fear.
    Well , I mean more of the early days of the Cold War , for instance the 50's .

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    I may be wrong, but I have an impression that ordinary people in Russia (or in Soviet Union, to be more exact) were much less fixated on America as a threat, than Americans on the USSR. The USA was traditionally called "the most possible enemy" by the authorities - a rather phlegmatic and ambivalent phrase, which was not as scary and emotional as "Evil empire". I believe there was mistrust and wariness, but no fear. Something like "Americans don't like us, but they most likely won't try anything, they will not dare".

    Moreover, as a kid in the 80's I was much more afraid of Germany (as were many of my friends). America was too distant and almost unreal, and we never were in war with it, while Germany was close, and we knew for a fact that Germans killed millions of our countrymen. Germany was our "Evil Empire", while America seemed like something between a bully and an economic rival (another popular official motto was "(Let's) Catch up with America and leave it behind").

  5. #5
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    837
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Well , I mean more of the early days of the Cold War , for instance the 50's .
    Well, I didn't live in the 50's, but I don't remember fear in my parents or grandparents either.

    The USA was traditionally called "the most possible enemy" by the authorities - a rather phlegmatic and ambivalent phrase, which was not as scary and emotional as "Evil empire".
    In fact, it wasn't "enemy" even. The word was "противник", which is an unemotional, rather technical military term. This word can even be applied to partners in a game.

  6. #6
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    6
    Ok , people were not "scared" , but Americans worried Russians would start a nuclear war . So that is what I mean by "scared " or "fear " .

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    село Торонтовка Онтарийской губернии
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Ok , people were not "scared" , but Americans worried Russians would start a nuclear war . So that is what I mean by "scared " or "fear " .
    That was highly unlikely. The designers of the USSR meant for it to include all the countries in the world as the Soviet Socialist Republics. The Soviet Union wasn't planning to destroy the other countries, rather it was trying to prepare the Socialist Revolutions across the world. It happily sponsored all political movements that undermined or questioned the present regime. The nuclear parity was an unavoidable, necessary, and expensive evil so as not to be destroyed by the US. At the time, especially after the Caribbean Crisis it was believed the US would use the WMDs whenever it feels threatened.

  8. #8
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    That was highly unlikely. The designers of the USSR meant for it to include all the countries in the world as the Soviet Socialist Republics. The Soviet Union wasn't planning to destroy the other countries, rather it was trying to prepare the Socialist Revolutions across the world. It happily sponsored all political movements that undermined or questioned the present regime. The nuclear parity was an unavoidable, necessary, and expensive evil so as not to be destroyed by the US. At the time, especially after the Caribbean Crisis it was believed the US would use the WMDs whenever it feels threatened.
    Ok , that's true . But no U.S civilian knew how the Soviet leaders "built " Russia . All they knew is there was a conflict that had a possibility of going hot .

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    село Торонтовка Онтарийской губернии
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Ok , that's true . But no U.S civilian knew how the Soviet leaders "built " Russia .
    I think the Soviet Union wasn't making any secrets of their plans. In fact, as far as I know, the Communist party was an outlaw in the US and some other countries (like South Africa, etc.) mainly due to that reason.

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай sperk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    США
    Posts
    2,284
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka View Post
    scary and emotional as "Evil empire".
    these are just words, journalistic phrases that go in one ear and out the other with absolutley zero emotional content. Philadelphia (city in US) is called the City of Brotherly Love. Do I associate Philly with love and fraternity? No, these are just empty words.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай it-ogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,049
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by sperk View Post
    these are just words, journalistic phrases that go in one ear and out the other with absolutley zero emotional content.
    But many (if not most) simple Americans has no other knowledge and opinion about foreign countries than their leader's words and took it quite serious. It is felt even up to now.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Similar Threads

  1. Positive Aspects of the Cold War
    By Martin Miles in forum Culture and History
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: February 4th, 2010, 07:56 AM
  2. get cold/hot
    By paramita in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM
  3. Replies: 40
    Last Post: March 4th, 2008, 04:34 PM
  4. Russian Document before Cold War
    By Yazeed in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 16th, 2004, 04:18 AM
  5. it is getting cold in here so put on all your clothes
    By Dogboy182 in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: July 11th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary