Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Question about Dimitri Obolensky

  1. #1
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    11

    Question about Dimitri Obolensky

    Hello!

    I had a question about Dimitri Obolensky's book's.

    I was recently given the book, The Heritage of Russian Verse. I believe this is also known as The Penguin Book of Russian Verse. Although I am learning more and more everyday, some of these words are hard to find on the internet for definitions. (I'm learning to read in Russian!) I have spent many hours at the library looking these words up when it occured to me it was referring to medieval Russian History. I very much enjoy this book, however, I was wondering if all his book's are in the Medieval times? My library does not have any information and I can find little detail.

    So my question is are all his book's in the "older" Russian? OR is poetry normally spelled funny. I'm sorry if I am not clear on this. I am new to the language and would appreciate any help.
    "Having no limitation as your limitation" ~ Bruce Lee

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    210
    Rep Power
    11
    лучше слова сюда пиши
    русский язык менялся конечно, но не в разы а на чуть-чуть
    всё что не церковнославянизмы можно объяснить
    (а по ним на крайняк - учебник есть )
    я сомневаюсь чтоб кто нибудь из заглядывающих сюда нативов читал эту книгу
    я - точно нет
    Оригинал: Call me ASAP.
    Перевод: Зови меня Асапом. (С)

  3. #3
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    11
    Thank you for the responce Qwertyz.

    I'm still learning to read in Russian and am not familiar with "церковнославянизмы" What does it mean?

    I'm glad to know that the book is not written in an older style of Russian. I thought it was poetic license how the book is written but wasn't sure. I knew it was a text book just by the way it was introduced and thought maybe someone from the forum had read it. If you get the chance, it is a wonderful book to read.
    "Having no limitation as your limitation" ~ Bruce Lee

  4. #4
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    458
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeStuckin
    I'm still learning to read in Russian and am not familiar with "церковнославянизмы" What does it mean?
    Церковнославянский язык -- the dialect of old russian language used by priests in the past and even now.
    My English isn't so good, зато с русским все в порядке ))
    I'll be very thankful, if you correct my mistakes.

  5. #5
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Гражданин мира
    Posts
    914
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by pranki
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeStuckin
    I'm still learning to read in Russian and am not familiar with "церковнославянизмы" What does it mean?
    Церковнославянский язык -- the dialect of old russian language used by priests in the past and even now.
    Edit: the old South Slavonic dialect...
    Even in those times Church Slavonic and Old Russian were different languages.
    (брег/берег, враг/ворог, млеко/молоко, горящ/горяч etc.)

  6. #6
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Propp
    Quote Originally Posted by pranki
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeStuckin
    I'm still learning to read in Russian and am not familiar with "церковнославянизмы" What does it mean?
    Церковнославянский язык -- the dialect of old russian language used by priests in the past and even now.
    Edit: the old South Slavonic dialect...
    Even in those times Church Slavonic and Old Russian were different languages.
    (брег/берег, враг/ворог, млеко/молоко, горящ/горяч etc.)
    Thank you Propp and pranki. That makes more sense now.
    "Having no limitation as your limitation" ~ Bruce Lee

Similar Threads

  1. another question: MO
    By devochka in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2010, 09:04 AM
  2. a question
    By Chuvak in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 26th, 2006, 04:06 PM
  3. a question :)
    By Ustas in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 16th, 2006, 04:50 PM
  4. question
    By Орчун in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 12th, 2006, 09:00 AM
  5. Question
    By Dimitri in forum Politics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: March 4th, 2006, 09:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary