Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Foreigners making patronymics

Подающий надежды оратор
    Why o why do Brits and Yanks always end up scrapping on message boards?

PS the ay in stead of ah makes my brain melt too, but shh

Почётный участник
    Is it even fair to compare Americans vs British, since Americans don't all talk the same? You can hear something in New England, then go down south and it sounds completely different, and then go out west and it sounds like neither of the first two. Example: Do you call it pop, coke, or soda? Do you say Hey, Hi, Howdy, or Hello? The first year I lived in North Carolina I couldn't understand half of what my English teacher said cause she had such a strong AMERICAN southern accent. Go figure. So, all of this bickering should really be broken down much further.
    Yay! I broke 200 posts!

Почтенный гражданин
    As if the whole of England speaks the same... I believe I read somewhere that England has one of the biggest varieties in accents per head.
    Army Anti-Strapjes
    Nay, mats jar tripes
    Jasper is my Tartan
    I am a trans-Jert spy
    Jerpty Samaritans
    Pijams are tyrants
    Jana Sperm Tit Arsy

Новичок
    One of my daughters is named Johanna, but we pronounce it with an english J instead of a german J. Not too uncommon these days.

Почтенный гражданин
    there aren't really many different British accents. All of the south-east speaks londonish english (like me) the south-west is similar. All of norht england is fairly uniform, slightly different vowels, but nothing much. The only difficulties are strong irish or scottish accents (like Glaswegian! Totally incomprehensible!)

PS Joanne and Joanna are both common names here too
    Эдмунд Ричардович Вудфилд

Почтенный гражданин
    To say the whole south-west of England speaks the same is to say that all the southern States of America speak the same. Maybe to a londoner there's no difference between a dorset, devonshire and cornish accent, but there is. And Liverpudlian couldn't be more different from Brummie...
    Army Anti-Strapjes
    Nay, mats jar tripes
    Jasper is my Tartan
    I am a trans-Jert spy
    Jerpty Samaritans
    Pijams are tyrants
    Jana Sperm Tit Arsy

Завсегдатай
    Interesting to know, are there dialects within England? Methinks there aren't.

Подающий надежды оратор
    I've lived in england and there are a huge amount of dialects

Завсегдатай
    Dialects as in "Hey, he's from a different region, he's really hard to understand, uses words I've never heard of, and speaks incorrectly"?

Подающий надежды оратор
    yes

Почтенный гражданин
    Then it's no dialect...
    Army Anti-Strapjes
    Nay, mats jar tripes
    Jasper is my Tartan
    I am a trans-Jert spy
    Jerpty Samaritans
    Pijams are tyrants
    Jana Sperm Tit Arsy

Подающий надежды оратор
    There are many dialects in the UK

Scots Gaelic
    Manx Gaelic
    Cornish
    Welsh

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by змма
    There are many dialects in the UK

Scots Gaelic
    Manx Gaelic
    Cornish
    Welsh
    These are not dialects. These are languages that have nothing to do with English.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Властелин
    Scots (not Gaelic, or English spoken with a Scottish accent) is certainly a dialect. Up intil the 17th century it was officially considered a separate language, until English cultural imperialism began to stamp it out.

Usage varies today along a spectrum from Scottish-accented English, which all English speakers can understand without difficulty, to a Scots/English mix whereby many old Scots words are used in favour of English words but the basic language remains English, which other English speakers are able to understand to an extent, though with difficulty (the majority of Scottish people speak this hybrid), to the extreme end of the scale which is pure Scots, and is entirely unintelligible to anyone who doesn't speak it (including most Scottish people).

Moves are afoot in the Scottish Parliament to protect Scots in the same way that other minority languages (such as Gaelic) are protected in law, but this has so far proved fruitless due to the presistent prejudice that assumes that Scots is just English spoken by the ignorant (exactly the reason it was stamped out in the first place). Kind of ironic considering Scots' Law is almost entirely written and practiced in Scots.

Старший оракул
    Of course Gaelic is not a dialect, but a different language, and the same for Welsh but..

What is Geordie, if not a dialect?
    There are many dialects in the UK... aren't there?
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почтенный гражданин
    most of these so called dialects are just accents. I don't believe I said that Liverpool and Brummie sound the same - if I did I take it back, I meant only to say that they are easily intelligible.

P.S. I am not from London, I am from Kent, but the accent is still virtually the same. It is a "home-counties" accent found in Kent, Surrey, Sussex, London etc. It is known to other parts of the country as "posh southerner speak"
    Эдмунд Ричардович Вудфилд

Подающий надежды оратор
    Can we get back on track with the whole purpose of this thread please? Ok first of all, my name is Maricruz Serrato, how would it be in cyrillic? Also, I have a little problem...or question I should say...my biological father's last name was Perez but my stepfather adopted me and therefore I now have his last name. If I were to give myself a patronymic, which would be appropriate to use? Efrain (bio-father's name) or Felipe (stepdad)? Help! Oh and I am going to be a professor in Russia...
    @---;---- Love is like playing the Piano. First you must learn to play by the rules, then you must forget the rules and play from your heart.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by amazon princess
    Can we get back on track with the whole purpose of this thread please? Ok first of all, my name is Maricruz Serrato, how would it be in cyrillic? Also, I have a little problem...or question I should say...my biological father's last name was Perez but my stepfather adopted me and therefore I now have his last name. If I were to give myself a patronymic, which would be appropriate to use? Efrain (bio-father's name) or Felipe (stepdad)? Help! Oh and I am going to be a professor in Russia...
    what subject? In the near or distant future?

Подающий надежды оратор PsiLord's Avatar

Let me try...

Quote Originally Posted by amazon princess
    my name is Maricruz Serrato, how would it be in cyrillic?
    Hmmm, guessing a 'standard' Spanish pronunciation, maybe Марикруз Серрато would do. But I might be mistaken — I've seen the names of Brazilian actors and actresses spelt in Russian in ways that I wouldn't have guessed if I were to base myself on the original Portuguese pronunciation... I've even had Марсель suggested for my own name in the past, but Марсел sounds much closer to the way I pronounce it myself, so that's what I go around with.
    "שמע ישראל יהוה אלהינו יהוה אחד"

Старший оракул
    I think, it is Марикрус, because z in Spanish sounds like [s].
    Perhaps Brasilian name should be Марсел indeed, because they have very distinct hard consonant "л" there. But many Russians don't know this and try to use more soft consonant "ль" like in Spanish or French. Besides Марсель is an official name of the very well-known city in France.
    The translators from Portuguese should know this anyhow.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast