Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Changing my name

Увлечённый спикер

Re: Changing my name

I've always wondered what my name Alyona could be changed for except for Alex. Anyone got any ideas?

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Mist
    I've always wondered what my name Alyona could be changed for except for Alex. Anyone got any ideas?
    What, to something more English-sounding? How about 'Allie'?
    "Сейчас без языка нельзя... из тебя шапку сделают..."
    Cogito Ergo Doleo

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamerlane
    i heard that if the father of the baby is unknown- he or she is given the patrynomic "ivanovich" or "ivanova" and the surname of the mother- is this true?
    AFAIK normally in this case baby is given the patrynomic on the choice of the mother. And the surname of the mother of course.
    in this case the patrynomic is the choice of the mother? so who would the patrynomic be honorific of?

in this case the patrynomic is the choice of the mother? so who would the patrynomic be honorific of?
    Ask the mother.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Почётный участник

you know- i once met a ukrainain girl whose full name was Svetlana Pavlovich. is this atypical?

Завсегдатай

you know- i once met a ukrainain girl whose full name was Svetlana Pavlovich. is this atypical?
    What could be atypical about it? Pavlovich was her SURNAME, not a patronymic. Obviously you still can't get the difference.
    And actually a full name of a Ukrainain or Russian person ALWAYS consists of THREE components: a first name (like Ivan), a patronymic (like Ivanovich or Pavlovich for male and Ivanovna or Pavlovna for female) and a surname (like Ivanov(a), or Smirnov(a), or Pavlovich).
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Wowik
    Januk (Янук) — Polish (and Belorussian and Ukranian) diminutive from Jan (Ян) — Iwan (Иван). Here are some another variants: Янка, Ясь.
    it's not Polish Janek is Polish.

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    What could be atypical about it? Pavlovich was her SURNAME, not a patronymic. Obviously you still can't get the difference.
    And actually a full name of a Ukrainain or Russian person ALWAYS consists of THREE components: a first name (like Ivan), a patronymic (like Ivanovich or Pavlovich for male and Ivanovna or Pavlovna for female) and a surname (like Ivanov(a), or Smirnov(a), or Pavlovich).
    well apparantly not ALWAYS because her full name was Svetlana Pavlovich and she was from Lviv (or as the polish say Lwow). her surname means son of pavlov, she had no patynomic- if she did it would have been pavlovna. that is why i was asking if her name is atypical- and according to you, it is because she did not have the full 3 components. she only had a first name and a surname (a surname that is very strange for a female, and very strange as a surname at all).

Завсегдатай

well apparantly not ALWAYS because her full name was Svetlana Pavlovich and she was from Lviv (or as the polish say Lwow). her surname means son of pavlov, she had no patynomic- if she did it would have been pavlovna. that is why i was asking if her name is atypical- and according to you, it is because she did not have the full 3 components. she only had a first name and a surname (a surname that is very strange for a female, and very strange as a surname at all).
    Tamerlane, I am tired of trying to explain anything to you - you are too stubborn and you hear only yourself.

P.S. Maybe some Ukrainian on this forum tell me if it is possible for a Ukrainian to not have a patynomic.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

A Pavlovich surname from Lviv is obviously Jewish. ))) It's the family name, not the name of her father.

Surnames in Russia (and to a degree in all Slavic languages) don't bear the name of immediate parent even if they happen to be the same, but rather the name of the family founder, the ultimate grandfather of the whole blood-line.

Thus, the surname cannot point at your father.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Завсегдатай

P.S. Maybe some Ukrainian on this forum tell me if it is possible for a Ukrainian to not have a patynomic
    Well, a Ukrainian native speaker told me that it is not more possible than for a Russian.

i was asking if her name is atypical- and according to you, it is because she did not have the full 3 components
    Her name is not atypical at all. By the way, you can find hundreds Svetlana Pavlovich's in Russia, too. And if they don't tell you their patynomic, it does not mean they don't have it.

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    A Pavlovich surname from Lviv is obviously Jewish. ))) It's the family name, not the name of her father.

Surnames in Russia (and to a degree in all Slavic languages) don't bear the name of immediate parent even if they happen to be the same, but rather the name of the family founder, the ultimate grandfather of the whole blood-line.

Thus, the surname cannot point at your father.
    nope she is catholic.

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    P.S. Maybe some Ukrainian on this forum tell me if it is possible for a Ukrainian to not have a patynomic
    Well, a Ukrainian native speaker told me that it is not more possible than for a Russian.

[quote:20i2dmuj]i was asking if her name is atypical- and according to you, it is because she did not have the full 3 components
    Her name is not atypical at all. By the way, you can find hundreds Svetlana Pavlovich's in Russia, too. And if they don't tell you their patynomic, it does not mean they don't have it.[/quote:20i2dmuj]

well- i did ask her if she had a middle name, she said no.

Завсегдатай

well- i did ask her if she had a middle name, she said no.
    I repeat:

And if they don't tell you their patynomic, it does not mean they don't have it.

She doesn't have a patynomic ONLY if she doesn't have a father!!! (if you don't know, I'll tell you that it's physically impossible)

P.S. If you asked her about a "middle name", she could understand you wrong. If you ask me, I also will tell you that I don't have a middle name. I only have a first name, a patynomic, and a surname.

Почётный участник

ok calm down!!!

ok calm down!!!
    So, Tamerlane.... does this mean you FINALLY and HUMBLY accept what the “natives/experts” on this forum here have been trying to tell you here for the past oh… SEVEN MONTHS?!?

You do realize, if you give this much lip and back talk (I mean argue or debate "cough, cough") with your CO's... you are going to have a VERY difficult military life. Actually, my dear boy, any life.

I wish you much luck and keep your head low.

I am going to miss this thread.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345